GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

2012 GTS Street and Track set-up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Fast Eddie's GTS is on a distinguished road
2012 GTS Street and Track set-up Need advise

This is your chance. I am looking for the best street and weekend PCA DE track set-up for my GTS. This is what I currently have.
2012 GTS coupe
6-speed
Short shifter
Limited slip
Sport suspension
PASM
Center lock wheels 8.5Jx 19 fronts 56mm offset with Pzero 235/35/19
11Jx19 rear 51mm offset Pzero 305/30/19
I am looking for suspension and wheel/tire upgrades without destroying the street ride. I am open to track tire suggestions as well as sizes. In the end I would like to get my GTS to handle as close to a Boxster Spyder and I know may not be possible. In the end I am trying to avoid costly mistakes and learn from the knowledge that is out there.https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...es/smLach2.gif

Last edited by Fast Eddie's GTS; 04-11-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:08 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Get an OEM spec performance alignment and call it a day

Old 04-11-2012, 11:31 PM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
If you want it to handle like a Boxster Spyder, you bought the wrong car. Embrace the ***-engine

How much track experience do you have?

Old 04-11-2012, 11:48 PM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
Hit up MDRUMS with a PM. He has a GTS that has been fairly well sorted out and seems to very knowledgable on the car.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:23 AM
North Van

Were you at The Ridge Motorsports park last weekend, I may have spoken to you. I have a white GTS with black wheels. You may have a point, just go drive and have fun. I guess its my competitive nature that gets in the way.

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Get an OEM spec performance alignment and call it a day

Old 04-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Mdrums

I have already spoken with MDRUMS and got some great advise. I was looking to get as many perspectives as possible. I want to learn from others mistakes while getting myself educated.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie's GTS
Were you at The Ridge Motorsports park last weekend, I may have spoken to you. I have a white GTS with black wheels. You may have a point, just go drive and have fun. I guess its my competitive nature that gets in the way.
No, I haven't been to the Ridge yet, perhaps in a few weeks

Old 04-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
This is your chance. I am looking for the best street and weekend PCA DE track set-up for my GTS. This is what I currently have.
2012 GTS coupe
6-speed
Short shifter
Limited slip
Sport suspension
PASM
Center lock wheels 8.5Jx 19 fronts 56mm offset with Pzero 235/35/19
11Jx19 rear 51mm offset Pzero 305/30/19
I am looking for suspension and wheel/tire upgrades without destroying the street ride. I am open to track tire suggestions as well as sizes. In the end I would like to get my GTS to handle as close to a Boxster Spyder and I know may not be possible. In the end I am trying to avoid costly mistakes and learn from the knowledge that is out there.https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...es/smLach2.gif
What is your goal, how much track experience do you have ?

Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Thats a good question. What are my goals. My car will never be a race car and if i intended to race it I would have bought a track car instead. My goal is to have fun, drive at my cars limits and in the end improve my driving skills. That said, I still want a car I can travel with on club or weekend outings with my wife and still be comfortable. I am in the process of adding a lift in my garage and will have the ability to work on my car for track days. I have had track experience in my younger years in Porsches and BMW's and still have the skills. I recently drove with a Porsche Barbers Point instructor and he wanted to know where I learned to drive as he was impressed. You learn in this sport everyday and there is always room for improvement and in the end thats what I want. Driving schools are on my agenda as my schedule allows.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
bilstein coil overs, upgraded anti-sways, and agressive alignment seem to be the popular choice on a few forums for the street-driven, weekend warrior type. i have this set up (albeit with much stiffer springs) and love it - perfect for my street and track use.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 AM
spiffyjiff
Does your car have PASM and are you running Bilstein PSS9's? Right now it looks like the place to start is an aggressive alignment and see how the car handles. If I upgrade to track tires I may need to swap out some suspension parts to get the camber correct.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:10 AM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
The alignment sounds like a great start, possibly in conjunction with GT3 or RSS control arms to allow more camber. In my Cayman S, just adding those, a good alignment and R comps for track made it really enjoyable in a dual purpose role. My methodology with new cars is to do alignment first, track a couple of times and decide what characteristics of the car's handling I want to improve (too much body roll, soft dampers, etc). I like the purposeful approach to suspension mods.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
Thats a good question. What are my goals. My car will never be a race car and if i intended to race it I would have bought a track car instead. My goal is to have fun, drive at my cars limits and in the end improve my driving skills. That said, I still want a car I can travel with on club or weekend outings with my wife and still be comfortable. I am in the process of adding a lift in my garage and will have the ability to work on my car for track days. I have had track experience in my younger years in Porsches and BMW's and still have the skills. I recently drove with a Porsche Barbers Point instructor and he wanted to know where I learned to drive as he was impressed. You learn in this sport everyday and there is always room for improvement and in the end thats what I want. Driving schools are on my agenda as my schedule allows.
That's a great start. Someone that is willing to learn, and to invest in himself is a far better option than try to upgrade the car.
If you can't drive the car to it's full potential, there is no reason why you would upgrade the car (wait I'll get to that point)
If you invest in yourself, you can always trade or replace cars, and carry over the ''mods'' (yourself)
That being said, there are a few things that I would do to make the car more enjoyable at the track.

Track alignment - if you need a few extra parts to achieve that, as I'm aware that the suspension on the GTS is pretty much as the Carrera S, is fine.
Porsche Motorsports lower control arm, or even GT3 control arms would do the trick.
Brake fluid - Castrol SRF
Pads are fine if you're not driving the car at 10/10th, and maybe after that a set of PFC 08's would do the trick.

If you want the car to be just like stock, leave it as stock as possible. You would be surprised on how capable those cars are.

90% of the people that you see at the track don't have the ability to drive the car at it's full potential, and choose to spend money in the car, instead of hiring a coach to improve themselves.
I believe the other way around, just my 2 cents.
Enjoy your new car !

Old 04-13-2012, 09:49 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
spiffyjiff
Does your car have PASM and are you running Bilstein PSS9's? Right now it looks like the place to start is an aggressive alignment and see how the car handles. If I upgrade to track tires I may need to swap out some suspension parts to get the camber correct.
i have damprtonics version (which i believe are technincally the PSS10 model but for PASM cars).

and i agree with some others on here that your first adjustment should be the nut behind the wheel. i had a year of autocrosses and DE's before i did any mods. even now, i couldnt drive the car bone stock to it's full potential. but the point is that my mods, while obviously helping mechanical performance, have the greater benefit of helping ME feel better/more stable on the track (less body roll, more grip, etc). that's a big plus for me - if i feel safer/better, i will perform better. others' priorities may vary, and you just have to decide what youre after. just my .02.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Great post and insight guys. This is exactly what I was looking for. I just want a stable car at the track and one that is fun to drive all the time...The rest is up to me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 GTS Street and Track set-up