Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Trade my 2012 GT-R for 997.1 GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:25 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Funny thing is.. .My 996TT was heavier and one would assume thirstier... It was getting 26.5mpg in commutes and long drives... The best I have gotten from the GT3 is 24.5! More revs = very thirsty!

Hahaha

Mike
High revs - the exhaust sound just makes the driving experience that much better.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:52 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
The GT-R is a great car, and I've warmed up to them over the last 2 years. But just like Corvettes, the depreciate quicker, and will most likely show signs of wear sooner....
I was going to respond to this, but:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
Actually, the GT-R has exhibited strong resale value, albeit probably due to Nissan increasing MSRP significantly over 4 years. I paid $88k for mine a year ago and estimate value today around $82k.
I'm not sure where Mike got his info from...

Anyway, it was stated very well in this thread that the GT3 may offer a better experience for the OP's preferences.

If you believe the GT-R is overly competent, then I suggest pushing the car harder, as any car, when pushed beyond its limits will become a little more frightening, and extremely involving. The issue I see is that most drivers are not willing to attempt that. So what I'm gathering is the desire to achieve that level of involvement at a lower speed (I know I prefer this as well, because the speed at which driving a GT-R becomes involving MUCH exceeds my own abilities).

So, putting those two together, I'd suggest that people who think the GT-R is not involving, simply are not experienced or brave enough to be able to test the car's limits (because it is engineered beyond our abilities).

I realize this post may offend some. That is not my intention, but I believe it must be said that every car has its limits and methods of being driven. Whether or not your methods and abilities suit the car may vary. Based on the OP's preferences and spoken opinions, I believe the 911 may be a better match, offering the level of excitement he is looking for.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Back in December - March timeframe I Was pricing them and z06s. That was what I was seeing in the 2009/2010 models. Not gonna debate this, but I know what I was seeing.

As to the other comments, everyone likes what they like. I don't get excited about anything that weighs 3800 pounds as a track oriented car. That's just my preference.

Mike

Old 06-17-2012, 03:19 PM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I was going to respond to this, but:

I'm not sure where Mike got his info from...

Anyway, it was stated very well in this thread that the GT3 may offer a better experience for the OP's preferences.

If you believe the GT-R is overly competent, then I suggest pushing the car harder, as any car, when pushed beyond its limits will become a little more frightening, and extremely involving. The issue I see is that most drivers are not willing to attempt that. So what I'm gathering is the desire to achieve that level of involvement at a lower speed (I know I prefer this as well, because the speed at which driving a GT-R becomes involving MUCH exceeds my own abilities).

So, putting those two together, I'd suggest that people who think the GT-R is not involving, simply are not experienced or brave enough to be able to test the car's limits (because it is engineered beyond our abilities).

I realize this post may offend some. That is not my intention, but I believe it must be said that every car has its limits and methods of being driven. Whether or not your methods and abilities suit the car may vary. Based on the OP's preferences and spoken opinions, I believe the 911 may be a better match, offering the level of excitement he is looking for.
Guys who feel the GT-R is somewhat dynamically 'flat' driving the car on a road course, one, need to check their lap times; (they'll be amazed how fast they're travelling), and two, turn VDC off. The car is so much more fun to drive (really) fast that way.
Bish

Old 06-17-2012, 07:08 PM
GeorgeJ is infamous around these parts
I have driven my GT-R very aggressively on the track and semi aggressive on the back roads. I agree that the GT-R can get through a road course very quickly and with cornering speeds that gets the excitement level way up. I have driven the car at the limit of adhesion at times on the track and is relatively composed. It's not scary compared to a few of my previous cars I'm certain circumstances. Scary is not always good, but it definitely keeps you on your toes.

Even with the GT-R's extremely high abilities, there still is something missing in my opinion. I just feel in the GT-R there is not the need for the same level of ability and precision required compared to a lighter, high powered RWD car that lacks an arsenal of stability management control systems. I also prefer a manual gearbox for driver involvement and wish the GT-R had the option. Then again, the GT-R probably would not be the car it is today, without it's lightning quick DCT transmission. I also have to admit the transmission gives me worries of warranty issues from seals, circlip and solenoid switch failures now that my car has been slightly modified. Nissan definitely needs to stand behind it's product and cover these known flaws.

I've read posts on NAGTROC that scoff at comments that the GT-R is boring or easier to drive fast than other cars. However, personally, I do feel my GT-R is significantly easier to achieve similar and probably faster lap times than my similar powered 996 GT2. Also, I do not profess to be an expert driver, but do have many years of track experience in many different performance cars over the years.

The fastest lap times is not my ultimate goal. My goal is to have the most fun behind the wheel and feel good that I was able to achieve this primarily from my personal abilities versus an algorithm.

With all this said, my GT-R is an astonishing machine. I'm just curious if the GT3 can excite me even further.

Last edited by GeorgeJ; 06-17-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:57 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I now recommend a Viper.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I now recommend a Viper.
An UGR Viper?

Now that would be scary!

Old 06-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Paul2x is infamous around these parts
Do it,

Went GT3 to GTR back to GT3

Owned both for a period and drove them back to back.

It's a easy decision as soon as you drive the GT3.

GTR gets boring. I have more fun in a stock GT3 than I did in my GTR w/600+whp.

Or if you want the best of both worlds get a GT2

You won't be disappointed.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:07 AM
mike4s is infamous around these parts
A friend of mine traded his 10th car, a 700hp GTR with a 07 GT3. The guy said to me that he had never driven such a thing is life before, far more enjoyable that any other car he owned

Old 06-18-2012, 12:10 PM
kingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of light
I traded my 750 wheel GTR for a 997.1 GT3 RS... Best move i have ever made..

Old 06-18-2012, 01:07 PM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
I have driven my GT-R very aggressively on the track and semi aggressive on the back roads. I agree that the GT-R can get through a road course very quickly and with cornering speeds that gets the excitement level way up. I have driven the car at the limit of adhesion at times on the track and is relatively composed. It's not scary compared to a few of my previous cars I'm certain circumstances. Scary is not always good, but it definitely keeps you on your toes.

Even with the GT-R's extremely high abilities, there still is something missing in my opinion. I just feel in the GT-R there is not the need for the same level of ability and precision required compared to a lighter, high powered RWD car that lacks an arsenal of stability management control systems. I also prefer a manual gearbox for driver involvement and wish the GT-R had the option. Then again, the GT-R probably would not be the car it is today, without it's lightning quick DCT transmission. I also have to admit the transmission gives me worries of warranty issues from seals, circlip and solenoid switch failures now that my car has been slightly modified. Nissan definitely needs to stand behind it's product and cover these known flaws.

I've read posts on NAGTROC that scoff at comments that the GT-R is boring or easier to drive fast than other cars. However, personally, I do feel my GT-R is significantly easier to achieve similar and probably faster lap times than my similar powered 996 GT2. Also, I do not profess to be an expert driver, but do have many years of track experience in many different performance cars over the years.

The fastest lap times is not my ultimate goal. My goal is to have the most fun behind the wheel and feel good that I was able to achieve this primarily from my personal abilities versus an algorithm.

With all this said, my GT-R is an astonishing machine. I'm just curious if the GT3 can excite me even further.
You make many valid points, and without a doubt those folks without much experience can hustle the car around a track faster than 98% of everything else due to the abilities of the drivetrain and software, regardless of ability level/experience. I was just trying to make the point that when one turns off the VDC, it can certainly inject some extra excitment!! lol
BTW, I wonder what the conversation will be like when the 991 GT3 is only available with the PDK as the European press are reporting? Will it then be 'boring' or 'uninspiring'?
Bish

Old 06-18-2012, 01:09 PM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kingleh
I traded my 750 wheel GTR for a 997.1 GT3 RS... Best move i have ever made..
But what do your know I mean just because you race Porsche's that makes you an expert I respect the GT-r but never owned 1. I did go from a 6GT3 to a highly modded 6GT2 and am now back in a 6GT3 as it just feels right. Now if I could just drive half as good as Leh

Peter

Old 06-18-2012, 01:56 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
I own a GTR and race my Cayman S... and in the 6 months of owning the GTR, i've done 1 track day in it, and 6 in my Cayman. The GTR is a great car, I daily drive it, it has way more HP than I know what to do with... but honestly on the track, even my 295hp Gen I, manual transmission Porsche is more fun. The GTR was very fast, just point and shoot, tons of HP to make up for mistakes. If my goal were to get fast laps, GTR will win but my goal like most on here that aren't pro drivers is to have fun and I would imagine a GT3 is way more fun on the track. As a DD, I would personally prefer the GTR. I took it to the golf course this past weekend, my wife took it to costco. For fathers day, I took my wife and son on a cruise down PCH, we stopped for brunch, it's plenty comfortable and roomy for the 3 of us and the trunk space is very usable. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:08 PM
muifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of light
Since I do own both a 7.1 GT3 and a GTR, I would recommend the GTR if you want the numbers and the knowledge that you are likely the fastest car on the road. And then the GT3 if you want a more traditional sporting drive with a MT. Personally, I put way more miles on the GT3 than the GTR.

Last edited by muifast; 06-18-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by thebishman
You make many valid points, and without a doubt those folks without much experience can hustle the car around a track faster than 98% of everything else due to the abilities of the drivetrain and software, regardless of ability level/experience. I was just trying to make the point that when one turns off the VDC, it can certainly inject some extra excitment!! lol
BTW, I wonder what the conversation will be like when the 991 GT3 is only available with the PDK as the European press are reporting? Will it then be 'boring' or 'uninspiring'?
Bish
I generally drive in R-R-R, but will experiment with R-R-Off. Some extra excitement would be fun!

You have a great point in regards to a PDK only 991 GT3 and will be interesting to see how it is received by owners. Will the US market get a 6MT option? I hope Porsche offers a MT option if the demand is there like BMW did with the e60 M5 and most likely the F10.

Originally Posted by jhuang25
I own a GTR and race my Cayman S... and in the 6 months of owning the GTR, i've done 1 track day in it, and 6 in my Cayman. The GTR is a great car, I daily drive it, it has way more HP than I know what to do with... but honestly on the track, even my 295hp Gen I, manual transmission Porsche is more fun. The GTR was very fast, just point and shoot, tons of HP to make up for mistakes. If my goal were to get fast laps, GTR will win but my goal like most on here that aren't pro drivers is to have fun and I would imagine a GT3 is way more fun on the track. As a DD, I would personally prefer the GTR. I took it to the golf course this past weekend, my wife took it to costco. For fathers day, I took my wife and son on a cruise down PCH, we stopped for brunch, it's plenty comfortable and roomy for the 3 of us and the trunk space is very usable. Just my 2 cents.
I like your current setup! I would love the combo of a GT3 for track and back roads and my GT-R for occasional daily driver and acceleration rushes, but not economically viable at the moment. I might consider a lower priced track car to meet that need and keep the GT-R as the all arounder.

Originally Posted by muifast
Since I do own both a 7.1 GT3 and a GTR, I would recommend the GTR if you want the numbers and the knowledge that you are likely the fastest car on the road. And then the GT3 if you want a more traditional sporting drive with a MT. Personally, I put way more miles on the GT3 than the GTR.

Do you find the GT3 more rewarding to drive as a daily as well over the GT-R or primarily just when things get twisty?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trade my 2012 GT-R for 997.1 GT3?