Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Trade my 2012 GT-R for 997.1 GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:50 PM
GeorgeJ is infamous around these parts
Trade my 2012 GT-R for 997.1 GT3?

I am considering selling my tuned GT-R (550WHP) in favor of a more raw and engaging driving experience in a 997 GT3.

I love the GT-R. It’s fast and amazingly quick on the track. However, it is so overly competent in my opinion that it’s somewhat boring. I just don’t feel challenged by the GT-R at times in the corners. The extremely capable AWD and lightning fast DCT just makes track work almost too easy at times. I had a nicely modded 996 GT2 in the past and found that car very challenging and fun to drive. It definitely raised my pulse more than the GT-R when things got twisty. Whether it was from excitement or fear I’m not too sure. However, I wouldn’t doubt the GT-R will run significantly quicker lap times than the GT2, but is just missing something for me.

I know a lot of GT-R owner claim all 911’s look the same, but not me. The GT3 is much better looking than the GT-R in my eyes. Also, the GT-R’s interior is low rent compared to the 997. However, the GT-R is insanely quick from any speed and the launch control is crazy. It makes speed absolutely effortless in a straight line and in corners.

Which do you guys think is the better choice as a daily driver, adrenaline rush and occasional weekend canyon carver? If I do get the GT3, it will remain stock except for maybe aftermarket exhaust. Will the significantly slower GT3 still get my adrenaline going coming from a modded GT-R? I am fairly sure I will have more fun in the GT3 on the track, but that’s only twice a year nowadays. The rest of the time it will be street driven.

Thoughts?

Old 06-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Banned
Kormaster has a spectacular aura aboutKormaster has a spectacular aura about
Obviously, in the straight line acceleration and torque department, GT-R wins hands down. But I think you already know that. WIth GT-R, you mash the gas and you get launched like a rocket. I think GT3 is more involved and technical car where you get more integrated and takes a strong left leg to work the clutch

I am still hunting down a GT3 for myself... good luck

Old 06-16-2012, 04:19 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I actually think this is the same problem the 991s will have. Was chatting with 930Man on the phone yesterday and he actually said the same to me, and he owns a 991. I bought a 996GT3 because I wanted something more raw. a 997.1 GT3 is more refined and civil, but sitll gets the job done nicely, and I'd have owned one of those if I could have found a good example for less than $75K. By the way, my commute to my client site is 75 miles each way, and I take the GT3 whenever it isn't raining. Got mine delivered on May 29th and I've already put 1100 miles on it. All commuting or driving around town. It's a fine daily driver with the right alignment and the right tires for the job!

The GT-R is a great car, and I've warmed up to them over the last 2 years. But just like Corvettes, the depreciate quicker, and will most likely show signs of wear sooner. It's just the nature of the beast. The other thing that I question, is the driver's experience, which you've keyed in on.. And why I think the hardcore Porsche enthusiasts may not warm to the 991 platform. The connection and interaction between driver and car is what comes up short with all of these gizmos.

At the end of the day, it's what stirs your soul. You're in a great place in life when you have such tough decisions to make, though! Because if you decide to keep the GT-R, you still don't lose, because Godzilla is one bad *****!

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 06-16-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:36 AM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
GT-R is a better daily driver with its higher drive height. While you could drive a GT3 daily, my personal belief is that it makes a better occasional driver/weekend fun car.

I believe you will feel the power difference (unless of course you have professional driving skills where you can maximize the performance level of the GT3). The Nissan will feel faster to the average driver because of the tech working behind the scene (as everyone knows, it's easier to drive fast).

Having said that, I have driven both and I would not hesitate to pick the GT3 because of its raw driving experience and level of engagement (plus it is plenty fast for me). In comparison to the GT-R, the GT3 feels like a go-cart (which I like). The GT-R is a tremendous engineering achievement...but it is far too boring for me.

After reading your post, I believe you would better enjoy the GT3. Good luck, either way, GT-R or GT3, you can't lose...nice problem to have...

Last edited by PaulChristian; 06-16-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:14 AM
RAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud of
I can tell you one thing. You won't feel like anything is missing when you're in a GT3. That alone should answer your question.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I can tell you one thing. You won't feel like anything is missing when you're in a GT3. That alone should answer your question.
^

Except acceleration - there is an enormous difference in the straights and out of corners between the GT3 and a GT-R.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
It's a fine daily driver with the right alignment and the right tires for the job!
Can you elaborate on your alignment specs for daily driving?

Old 06-16-2012, 10:55 AM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
The stock factory spec is good if you are going to daily drive your GT3.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:21 AM
homer997 is infamous around these parts
I endorse the trade

Old 06-16-2012, 11:22 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
I actually think this is the same problem the 991s will have. Was chatting with 930Man on the phone yesterday and he actually said the same to me, and he owns a 991. I bought a 996GT3 because I wanted something more raw. a 997.1 GT3 is more refined and civil, but sitll gets the job done nicely, and I'd have owned one of those if I could have found a good example for less than $75K. By the way, my commute to my client site is 75 miles each way, and I take the GT3 whenever it isn't raining. Got mine delivered on May 29th and I've already put 1100 miles on it. All commuting or driving around town. It's a fine daily driver with the right alignment and the right tires for the job!

The GT-R is a great car, and I've warmed up to them over the last 2 years. But just like Corvettes, the depreciate quicker, and will most likely show signs of wear sooner. It's just the nature of the beast. The other thing that I question, is the driver's experience, which you've keyed in on.. And why I think the hardcore Porsche enthusiasts may not warm to the 991 platform. The connection and interaction between driver and car is what comes up short with all of these gizmos.

At the end of the day, it's what stirs your soul. You're in a great place in life when you have such tough decisions to make, though! Because if you decide to keep the GT-R, you still don't lose, because Godzilla is one bad *****!

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Mike
Mike, I think you got it!! The evolution of a Porsche sports car seem to be to broaden the appeal to more - less driver oriented folks - AKA, more revenue opportunities, thus they have to numb down the edges (more nannies) and do a serious update to the interior ,not more functional perse, but more space for more expensive options to make another almighty buck. What a pity. I think the folks that own the 996 and 997 GT3 and its various releases along the way will have a unique timeless car where you.. the driver.. has to supply the ***** and the skills to drive.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
According to my camber gauges, it's within stock spec at -1.0 front and -1.2 rear. Really need to string mine and check the toe, because it's a little darty, but otherwise the tires are wearing well and the car is showing no detrimental signs to the new HTR3s I put on it 1200 miles ago... Can't believe I've put that many miles on it in 3 weeks!

Originally Posted by Johnny DB

Old 06-16-2012, 03:00 PM
GeorgeJ is infamous around these parts
Actually, the GT-R has exhibited strong resale value, albeit probably due to Nissan increasing MSRP significantly over 4 years. I paid $88k for mine a year ago and estimate value today around $82k.

Is the 997 GT3 actually softer than the 996 version? I have a fair amount of seat time in a tuned 996 GT3 and found the suspension better sorted than my GT2. I thought Porsche sharpened the 997 version. However, I do agree with one of the comments that Porsche has diluted the line somewhat to reach a broader customer base. Didn't think the GT3 had the same fate.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:36 PM
As a street car, I don't miss the boost or the power, and my car was a 650bhp car.

Mike

Originally Posted by bbywu
^

Except acceleration - there is an enormous difference in the straights and out of corners between the GT3 and a GT-R.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:56 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
As a street car, I don't miss the boost or the power, and my car was a 650bhp car.

Mike
While I miss my GT3, I just found turbocharged cars to have so much more low end torque for daily driving.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:17 AM
Funny thing is.. .My 996TT was heavier and one would assume thirstier... It was getting 26.5mpg in commutes and long drives... The best I have gotten from the GT3 is 24.5! More revs = very thirsty!

Hahaha

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trade my 2012 GT-R for 997.1 GT3?