GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

RSS Suspension Mods - Opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 PM
fang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of light
RSS Suspension Mods - Opinions

Fellas,

What do you all think about the RSS suspension mods - ie. the front and back lower control arms w/ adjustable thrust arm bushings / monoball end, adjustable rear link kit, front and rear toe steer kit - does this improve the handling and make the car feel more "direct" on the track? And does it negatively impact street drivability much? I've been tracking the car more this year and in the turns it feels a little unsettled / slightly mushy which is probably more due to driver error than anything else.

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2012, 08:02 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
For track use - yes
Street downsides - none IMHO

Old 08-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
I've been running these on my 6 GT3 for both track and street duty, no complaints, care may be a tad louder in terms of suspension noise but nothing too crazy, overall helped keep things planted. Cost wise if you're going to go spherical bearings, it's fairly cost effective vs all the parts separately and allows you to sell your original GT3 arms.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:16 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Run them and use them on all my cars... Heck just about every car that comes through here gets at least the level 1 stuff (the dog bones and toe-steer). Nearly all the cars we've done over the years are a combo of street and track and daily driven in many cases. A+ for these.

You can see a large percentage of our favorites have this stuff installed in our project gallery:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/porsche/

Old 08-21-2012, 10:22 AM
kingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of light
Awesome stuff.. A must..

Will be going on my GT3 soon!

Old 08-21-2012, 10:47 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Yep indeed. I'd always start with these two pieces first:
http://sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=204
http://sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=204

Then I'd prolly add these for the MK1 cars:
http://sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=336

Old 08-21-2012, 12:38 PM
snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !
I have had the whole enchilada installed on my .1 for over 40k miles now and they are as tight as the day they were new! Love'm RSS is the bomb!

Old 01-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
RSS Parts in my Street C2S or not

I have a 997.1 C2S and have acquired the full RSS lot of suspension goodies to install along with a Bilstein B16 Damptonics setup, however, I'm having some second thoughts about putting some of the RSS parts into the car since it hasn't and most likely won't ever see a track. I do like to drive it fast and up in the curvy mountain roads, but it spends more time around town and on the highway than it does doing spirited play. I've had my car for about 18 months and it has a RUF Supercharger kit in it with Fabspeed Intake and full Fabspeed exhaust, which should have it putting out HP #s somewhere between 450-475 conservatively. I'm going to the Bilsteins because I feel the factory PASM suspension doesn't have enough rebound dampening, especially in the rear. Pushing the PASM button helps to stiffen it up, but it doesn't make that wallowing rear end feel completely go away - I'm hoping the Damptronics will and from everything I've read, should. My dilemma is with some of the RSS parts and exchanging out all the rubber equipped suspension components for bearings and monoballs. What I was planning to install are:
  • Front & Rear Lower control arms with the monoball end and adjustable solid thrust arm bushing.
  • Rear Dog-Bones Kit
  • Rear Toe Control Arms
  • Front Toe Link with Bump Steer Kit and Locking Plate Kit
  • Front Tension Compression Link
  • RSS Solid Adjustable Front & Rear Sway Bars (19.5mm Front & 26.5mm Rear) with Tarett Adjustable Drop Links
  • Tarett Front Suspension Monoballs (these aren't really optional as I'm installing a Cargraphic Airlift Kit from a GT3 so I need to go to a monoball front mount for compatiblity with this kit)
Based on my description of how I use the car, which of these would you do, and which would you not do to avoid an excessively noisy or harsh ride on the street? I will also mention that I have a heavily street modded 914 that has a front Roller Bearing suspension in it from Shine Racing Systems and I don't have any issues with ride quality or noise with that - just a much more accurate steering feel and more precise suspension travel.

Here are a couple shots of the car that will be receiving the upgrades - threw one of the 914 in as well . Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4020.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	318953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4019.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	318954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2125.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	318955   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3498b.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	318956   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2086.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	318957  

Old 01-10-2014, 09:57 PM
HarmonyJim is on a distinguished road
I have the full RSS Tarmac kit on my .1RS. Worth every penny, totally usable for the street, and firms up the feel of the steering a considerable amount. My Master Tech said he couldn't imagine an RS ever feeling "loose" until he felt mine before and after. I actually am convinced the car rides smoother than stock because the suspension actually stays on plane and moves as designed as opposed to the stock rubber bushings that tend to bind when loaded. 10K miles later, and as I said previously, worth every penny.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
HarmonyJim, thanks a lot for the feedback. I was all set to do this all-in but got some cold feet talking with some guys who said I'd be creating a "kidney buster". Guess I'll forge ahead as planned. While I have everything apart I also thought I might put in Front & Rear strut tower braces - I know the 997s have them tied together better than the previous generations, but others still say they feel an improvement in chassis rigidity and it actually makes the car quieter because there's not twist at all, like when driving up over a driveway hump on an angle. With the Airlift kit that's going on the front Bilsteins I thought maybe a little extra reinforcement might help. Would it be completely unnecessary on the 997s or do you think there's some benefit? Thanks.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:12 PM
HarmonyJim is on a distinguished road
The great guys at Sharkwerks haven't mentioned it. I have never felt anything that I would identify as twisting or chassis instability, or cowl shaking. I guess it wouldn't hurt anything other than the added weight. I cannot remember seeing these on the cup or RSR cars either, but I may have just missed them. I really do feel the car rides smoother and softer with the RSS Tarmac kit than it did before. Also, look into their motor mounts if you haven't already, but probably best to avoid the tranny mounts available from other suppliers - good for the track, but too severe for the street as I understand it. I have also never heard any more noise, vibrations, or squeaks either from installing the kit. As you can tell, I am really sold on it!! Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:19 PM
I actually ordered a set of the RSS motor mounts last week after talking through some things with Mike from RSS. Glad to hear you're pleased with those too. Thanks again.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 AM
charles06 is on a distinguished road
I've had the full Stage 2 Tarmac kit, including engine mounts, installed on my 2011 GT3 for roughly 3,000 miles. No problems so far. Car is unreal! Do it. You won't regret it.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Charles, that seems to be the consensus so I'm going to forge ahead. Thanks guys.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:56 AM
charles06 is on a distinguished road
Have fun. Drive safely. And report back on what you think.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RSS Suspension Mods - Opinions