GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Ford GT's on autotrader 189k

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Les Quam is on a distinguished road
Watt,

I am not aware of the origin of that expression.

I was probably the most disappointed of all the Ford GT wannabe's I really liked the whole concept. But soon after Ford announced this car a little research revealed they were not really building it. At least Dodge set aside some space at an old plant and built their own Viper starting in 1992. Dodge then made every selling dealer have at least one highly trained viper tech who could be contacted directly by owners with questions and concerns without going through the service department. These viper techs require on going training to maintain their status. For the most part service on Vipers is relatively easy in terms of access.

When I was at my neighbors Ford dealership the service manager took me back into the service area to show me the owner of the dealerships Ford GT. It was in pieces scattered all over like a plane crash. They had just finished replacing all the control arms with nice Billet pieces. From the factory original "squishy metal" control arms. I am not making this up Ford used a new metal process called squishy metal which had never been successfully completed outside of Japan where it was created on the production Ford GTs but had never tested them on any of the test mules. They soon failed on a few production Ford GTs with catastrophic results.

Anyway the service manager then was trying to figure out how to get to the back of the engine to replace the main seal and install the supersleeve. It looked like you had to almost disassemble the entire rear of the car to get at the mainseal. And he was pretty upset that Ford had not sent anyone out to supervise. He also said all the available information was on a computer Ford didn't even have a book out for reference. This service manager races stock cars himself and has built his stock car and one for his son. In other words he knows what he is doing and he was back their literally scratching his head over all the problems with the car. He was telling me at least four areas leaked on the car. gas tank, power steering, mainseal and I forgot the other place.

Saleen did develop a state of the art factory to build these cars and after all the quality control problems fired his top guys at the plant. Also who would have expected Jack Roush not to be able to build a quality engine that leaked oil?

The fit and finish on the car seemed very good and the looks are killer. Handles great too. But even Ford has admitted the exhaust is too quiet and boring. I think a 2006 Ford GT may be the way to go for Ford nuts like me. For sensible people I think the Ford GT should be passed up in favor of the new Z06 or a 2007 viper coupe with at least 550 HP and a race proven engine and chassis.

I found it amusing in the most recent issue of Popular Mechanics in an article by Jay Leno how Jay was so happy that Ford sent some guys out to his shop and picked up his Ford GT and repaired all the problems and gave it back to him. He seemed to think everyone was having their cars picked up by Ford techs and being treated like him. No Jay not everyone is getting the star treatment from Ford.

Old 06-17-2005, 05:35 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Les Quam
Watt,

I am not aware of the origin of that expression.

For sensible people I think the Ford GT should be passed up in favor of the new Z06 .
Lester,

old Vegas explained it right above your post. it's the title song of a Lester Young Album. Lester Y was a great tenor player tho' never as broadly known [by white people] as Cannonball, Coltrane or Rollins. i think of it every time i see your name...

and i am looking forward to my z06, they took specs on my first one 2 weeks ago, so maybe it'll arrive... in nov/dec.....

and i hear you on the 2006 GT... but how you fix design problems??????

Old 06-17-2005, 09:14 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I'd still like to grab one, hell Jack Roush can build a motor for me anytime. They should've put the NASCAR style 351C in those babies, Roush's specialty.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Watt,

I learn something new in just about each one of your posts.

I don't know how you can fix design problems either? The Ford GT may go down in history as the Boss 429 of our generation. Bad to the bone when you look at it but doesn't run worth a crap?

I think we both had a chance to flog the old Z06 around Spring Mountain motorsports park at the Bragg Smith school. Those things run flawlessly even when its 110 degree's outside with nary any break fade after being abused all day. Perfectly balanced and tremendous handling ability. IMHO

This new monster Z06 which amounts to a race engine for the street along with wider rear quarters looks awesome. The specs on the engine are just incredible. I am a little nervous about buying the first year of a new Vette after seeing how the last new Z06 had all those problems with the rings I think. I am waiting for a model year. I also want to see how the 2007 Viper coupe responds. Pretty reliable rumors that after 2006 they are raising the HP to 550 or more. And this third generation of vipers has all the braking and handling issues worked out. And Viper is still as far as I know the only hand built american sports car by a major manufacturer? But most people either love them or hate them.

My other concern with a Z06 is that I have not had a great experience with the local chevy dealers service departments. They goobered up my old ZR1 pretty good each time they touched it.

At least with the Vipers I can call my Viper tech on his cell phone and bypass service altogether. He even makes house calls on easy stuff to avoid the traditional dealer ding you get with each service visit.

But overall I think the new Z06 will be fantastic and a perfect track car. IMHO

Old 06-17-2005, 11:37 PM
Moogle is on a distinguished road
hahaha looks like the market collapsed

people finally realized its a FORD.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:53 PM
vegasgolf98 is on a distinguished road
Les, you live next to a Ford dealer and I live across the street from one. You don't live in ACC do you?

Old 06-18-2005, 09:25 AM
Vegas golf,

I live in Eagle Hills. ACC would be Anthem I presume? Who lives their Ed from friendly Ford or Gary from Gaudin Ford? Steve the owner and son of Ed lives in Eagle Hills. I think that's all the Ford dealers in town? For privacy I kept last names out of it.

Old 06-18-2005, 09:40 AM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
Les,

the more i think about your data on the design and mfrg flaws in the GT,
1] this is going to blow up on ford
2] the ownership experience is gauranteed to be a nightmare
3] prices will fall well below window when the word gets out

who wants a 150k car that's broken all the time???

Old 06-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Banned
Chordate is an unknown quantity at this point
So is squishy metal the only problem?

Old 06-18-2005, 10:42 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by watt
Les,

the more i think about your data on the design and mfrg flaws in the GT,
1] this is going to blow up on ford
2] the ownership experience is gauranteed to be a nightmare
3] prices will fall well below window when the word gets out

who wants a 150k car that's broken all the time???
ferrari's seem to sell fine

Old 06-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Hot rod guy,

You beat me to the punch!

Watt the new owner of what Forza magazine now calls the ultimate 360 has recently purchased a rolling repair bill for himself a 360 challenge stradale. LOL.

Although I doubt the rear mainseal and gas tank will be leaking on that pimp red Ferarri of Watt's and I doubt there will be at least 14 recalls on the car either.

Watt, the recall problem has already blown up in Fords face. If you would get your head out of your classic book collection and dive into car magazines you would be up to speed on these late breaking car news stories. LOL

I agree with you below MSRP on the Ford GT like the Porsche CGT is only a few months away. The Ford GT will make a nice book end to my Boss 429 that I am trying to buy that doesn't run either.

Old 06-18-2005, 11:36 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
boss 429; yummy

Old 06-18-2005, 11:46 AM
the comment was not worthy of comment but since you presume to validate it les:

- Strads have proven bullet proof under very heavy track usage [7,000 miles at Spa, 11 sets of tyres, 10 sets of pads] by my friends. none of my 47 friends w/ strad.s have had any problems. 7000 miles hard laps at Spa is roughly equal to what 80,000 street miles?
-my service mgr and many owners have found them bulletproof
-most 360 and 550's have proven quite reliable when DRIVEN
-garage queens do have problems from not being driven

when i was ignorant, i though F's were not as reliable as say, porsches, altho' F's do NOT have PCCB problems like gt2's and 3's. i was concerned when i bought my first strad, but it took serious hammering.

this with knowledge has proven to be false. reputation tends to lag reality.

Old 06-18-2005, 12:07 PM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is on a distinguished road
reputation tends to lag reality.
Reputation is based on the 355 and prior.... and was well deserved...

No longer the case... It will take time to change the reputation...

Old 06-18-2005, 12:19 PM
the comment was not worthy of comment but since you presume to validate it les:

I was just joking w/ you btw

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ford GT's on autotrader 189k