GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3 RS to be PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Swiss_Aussie is on a distinguished road
991 GT3 RS to be PDK

So if the report at carscoops is to believed Porsche has said that the 991 RS will also be PDK. You can read the report at: http://www.carscoops.com/2013/03/por...t3-rs-for.html
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for all the manual fans out there...

Old 03-19-2013, 05:08 AM
EUGENE-Taiwan has a spectacular aura aboutEUGENE-Taiwan has a spectacular aura about
expensive

Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Swiss_Aussie
So if the report at carscoops is to believed Porsche has said that the 991 RS will also be PDK. You can read the report at: http://www.carscoops.com/2013/03/por...t3-rs-for.html
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for all the manual fans out there...
And with the DFI engine - looks like only the cup cars retain the Mezger GT1 engine.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Zuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
And with the DFI engine - looks like only the cup cars retain the Mezger GT1 engine.
And wheels you can actually buy slicks for...

Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Yeah, my GT2 should go up in value soon. Seriously though the car better have an option for manual at least.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
I don't believe a manual is even an option. But if you pull both paddles it goes into neutral and you can rev the engine, blah bah. I am very disappointed to be honest.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 AM
StockKiller is on a distinguished road
With the risk of upsetting Porsche's most hardcore fans, Preuninger said the new RS model will also use the dual-clutch PDK gearbox from the latest GT3, instead of a more traditional manual box like the previous model (pictured), as the PDK "offers more involvement than the manual option".However, the engineer admitted the transmission might be tuned for quicker shifts. The new RS model will also use electric steering, which he said is at least as good as the one on the GT3 RS 4.0.

am i missing something here with this statement....
as the PDK "offers more involvement than the manual option" wtf?

Old 03-20-2013, 07:51 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
"PDK "offers more involvement than the manual option" wtf?"

And he tried saying it with a straight face :-) That cracked me up.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 512bb

This is really what I can't seem to wrap my head around.

Bottom line is that the PDK is faster and than a manual, so just say it.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 512bb

It's funny...just about two weeks ago I was having a conversation with a VERY successful driver that used to race for us. The topic of the new GT3 came up and I asked..."how do you feel about Porsche eliminating the manual transmission? A lot of people are complaining that they won't feel as engaged or involved with the car..". His answer was "I think it's fantastic. This will be the best GT3 ever. And for those people who complain tell them if the only way they feel engaged with the car is through the gear selector, they're doing something wrong."....

Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
It's funny...just about two weeks ago I was having a conversation with a VERY successful driver that used to race for us. The topic of the new GT3 came up and I asked..."how do you feel about Porsche eliminating the manual transmission? A lot of people are complaining that they won't feel as engaged or involved with the car..". His answer was "I think it's fantastic. This will be the best GT3 ever. And for those people who complain tell them if the only way they feel engaged with the car is through the gear selector, they're doing something wrong."....
Agree, but not selling my RS

Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Sfarooq is just really niceSfarooq is just really niceSfarooq is just really niceSfarooq is just really niceSfarooq is just really nice
Perhaps I’m missing something, but I’d like to bring up a point I’ve made in another post on this board.

How is pulling on a paddle significantly different than rowing a lever into a gate?

The manner in which a gear is changed shouldn’t be the reason a car is considered more or less involved, but more so based on the experience it provides a driver. In the specific case of the 991 GT3, all sources close to the project say that this car is just as involved and fantastic as the previous variant, while being better in all performance metrics.

I simply don’t understand how people get so upset about losing the lever for a paddle. I would think if they sit behind the wheel of a car and it puts a smile on their face along with quickening their pulse and causes their brow to sweat, I’d say mission accomplished.

From everything I hear about this car, its suppose to do all of that and more.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:06 PM
StockKiller is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TurboDogue
Agree, but not selling my RS
ahh yep.. i bought my mine to keep it in fear of a pdk..

Old 03-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
No one is saying it's the "only" way they feel engaged with their car but it certainly is one of the major ways, which is the point.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:28 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sfarooq
Perhaps I’m missing something, but I’d like to bring up a point I’ve made in another post on this board.

How is pulling on a paddle significantly different than rowing a lever into a gate?
A manual transmission requires a driver with some skill and proficiency to know when and how to rev match a car through a turn as not to offset the car's dynamics. Think about what RPM you are at, where you want to be, where you are in your turn. Clutch, rev match, shift, clutch, accelerate. It takes patience, practice, and skill to do it. And it's fun when you do it properly.

A computer chip just does it for you when you flick the PDK lever.

Can you focus on other driving dynamics more when you don't have to think about shifting? Sure. Is it more engaging? Possibly. But pulling a paddle is definitely easier and requires less skill than properly shifting a manual transmission.

Attached Images  

Last edited by bbywu; 03-20-2013 at 04:31 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS to be PDK