GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3 (or R8 v10) for a long time...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 09:38 PM
sojirovs is on a distinguished road
991 GT3 (or R8 v10) for a long time...

Hey guys,
My wife finally gave me a green light to pull the trigger and I've always liked GT3 all my life and admired porsche maniacs keep their porsche forever...
And I would like to do the same.

My concern is that would it be possible to maintain a car for a long time without causing too much headache? ($$$wise as well)

If you buy a car like GT3, do you plan to change to another car after the warranty is over? Or can you keep a porsche for a long time like 10-15 years?
Whichever I get, it'll be used as weekend car only and will be on track about 3-4 times per year.

*only reason why I brought up R8 is that my wife love how R8 looks.

Last edited by sojirovs; 03-31-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:30 AM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
wow. nice problem to have.

I used your opening line here w/ my wife. I said to her "this guy here is married to a wonderful woman who just gave him a green light on a GT3 or R8... can I get one?"

as for which to buy, that is all about personal preferences. If it is a daily driver, I'd probably lean toward the R8, otherwise the GT3.

Good luck w/ your decision, and don't forget to pamper the wife. AND... post some pics.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:50 AM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
R8 will be very cheap to maintain the first four years if you purchase Audicare when you buy the car. It is a very reasonable maintenance program that covers everything for the initial warranty period. Many negotiate it into the deal. I also agree strongly that if the car is primarily for the street, it is a much more comfortable car than the GT3. Can't go wrong with either though.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
I love the R8 V10 spyder the ride is fantastic. I have not been in the 991 GT3 but having a GT2 the ride is a little rough for a DD.

If you planning to use for a DD I would suggest the Audi. If you plan to track then go for the GT3.

The Audi Spyder does get more attention than the GT2. The Audi has a more exotic look.

Good Luck with your decision. I don't think either would be a bad choice.

Last edited by PAULIEWALNUTS; 03-31-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:04 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Whenever you consider one of these gt cars for a dd it's a trade off.
Daily driving realities vs track day dreams.
I would suggest that if you plan on less than 8-10 track days a year then the trade off isn't worth it the other 95% of the time. One might be better off with a turbo or r8. Of course the pdk only feature of the new gt3 makes it more compliant as a dd.
For me, another round in a 3k mile 997.1tt mt car was the perfect solution.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:21 AM
Banned
Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !
IMHO there is only one choice here between the two.
991 GT3 hands down every day all day.
You want to talk about longevity, look at how many Porsches compete in HSR. With proper maintenance Porsches are forever.

\m/

Old 03-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Tuskir has a spectacular aura aboutTuskir has a spectacular aura about
This is a Porsche forum so the majority will of course say GT3, but to me the R8 is on a different level being a mid-engined V10 525hp supercar. As it shares the majority of components with Lamborghini, it is closer to a Lamborghini/Ferrari level than to a Audi/Porsche/BMW level.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 AM
Arth is on a distinguished road
i just sold My R8, Albeit the V8 and have placed an order for the 991 GT3.

My reasons being i have been bit by the track bug and plan to be tracking around 20 track days a year here in the UAE.

The R8 is fantastic car. Exotic looks. sounds great. goes like mad! but for what I want to get out of a car( tracking) it is no match for a GT3( 997 included)

in my opinion you should be honest with yourself and see what you will be using the car mostly for.

if like you say, only a couple of track days a year then go for the R8. but make sure you get the new double clutch DSG if you want an automatic.

if i could afford both i would be keeping the R8 as my daily driver as it was fantastic in that respect as well.

now i have to go buy a beater as I don't think the Gt3 will be the best DD around :P

cheers Arth

Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 PM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
The 991 GT3 may ride as good as the R8 so there's no reason to choose the R8 over the 3 over ride comfortable. If you plan on tracking the car, then consider with the GT3, you can participate in either many POC or PCA events w/ the GT3, but not much organized racing for Audis.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:30 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Bottom line, the GT2 I have (720 whp) is way faster than the Audi, but the Audi feels soooooo much better at high speed. The Porsche front end feels so light & touchy at high speed.The Audi is planted.

If you asked me which car I feel safer in above 130 mph it would definitely be the Audi.

Last edited by PAULIEWALNUTS; 04-02-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 AM
AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !
Sounds like you're set on the GT3. It would be hard to not choose the newer platform considering the R8 is in it's last year. I can say that the Audi dealership I frequent offers a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on any new car purchase as long as all the recommended services are performed at the dealership at the proper time. Audicare plus I think is what it's called. Don't know of any other make that offers anything like this.

http://www.beechmontaudi.com/why-buy...mont-audi-.htm

I was wrong. It's called lifecare plus. Link above.

Last edited by AudiBull; 04-02-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:10 AM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
The 991 is a lot more planted than the 997 and R8. However, I think it's still a bit to early to make that decision on the 991GT3 Soji.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by flyanddive
The 991 is a lot more planted than the 997 and R8. However, I think it's still a bit to early to make that decision on the 991GT3 Soji.
Not sure a rear engine car could be more planted than a mid engine car.

Being I have both (not a 991) Porsche & Audi, trust me the R8 feels more predictable at high speed IMHO.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Hard to answer as no one outside of Porsche has driven the 991 GT3.

For a weekend car with occasional track use, either would be awesome. The Audi will likely have a better, more compliant ride. Although the new GT3 will likely not be as harsh as the prior version. The Audi will attract lots more attention - everyone and their brother will want to take photos, etc. (one reason I sold mine) The Porsche will have more storage and luggage space. The Porsche will have better electronics like Nav, etc. The R8 is still using an older interface. Around here, a Porsche goes relatively unnoticed (except perhaps a GT3RS in clown car colors). On the other hand, driving an R8 is an event.

The R8's are fairly bulletproof and service costs are minimal for a supercar. The 991 GT3 is still an unknown. Will the coolant hoses stay attached? Will the centerlock wheels fall off? Will the DFI engine have carbon fouling issues? Nobody knows.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 PM
'08C4S has a spectacular aura about'08C4S has a spectacular aura about'08C4S has a spectacular aura about
I've owned both. (R8 V10 and .1 and .2 GT3 and not the 991 obviously) Short answer is..... GT3 if you will actually track the car and the R8 if not....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 (or R8 v10) for a long time...