GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997.1 GT3 - my 22nd Porsche since 1972

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:29 PM
JackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud of
997.1 GT3 - my 22nd Porsche since 1972

A long time (40 years) Porsche friend and I recently traded cars, his 2007 GT3 for my '87 Carrera which had been backdated to a '74 RS 3.0 or "IROC" look. Here's the '87, which started out as a really nice, all-original Carrera when I bought it back in 2001...

My friend had a pristine, never tracked GT3 and expressed an interest in trading cars several months ago, knowing that a GT3 was very high on my wish list. Well, we finally made it happen and are both happy with our new rides.

The GT3 was originally sold at Champion Porsche in Florida and is a very high option car. The only changes from stock are a set of their RG5B forged wheels, H&R springs and a KI Studios stripe kit. I've added a RSS tail pipe. The car came with a brand new, uninstalled Fabspeed rear muffler delete but I may not use it as the car sounds fine to me as is. The Carrera was VERY loud with it's M&K dual outlet muffler and I'm enjoying the quieter GT3 dual mode setup.

Here are a couple pics of the GT3, it's my 22nd and probably last Porsche. There's nothing else out there that fits my retiree's budget that I'd rather have than this one!

Attached Images    

Last edited by JackB911; 07-15-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
Looks good. Enjoy the GT3 Jack! Time for some clear side markers...

Old 07-15-2013, 03:07 PM
JackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RSSbryan
Looks good. Enjoy the GT3 Jack! Time for some clear side markers...
Thanks, Bryan,

The clear sides are in place now, I took the pics the day after I got the car. The first thing I did after washing it was to install the RSS tail pipe that I got from you (on sale ) before the car arrived. Love it!

Old 07-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Well congrats Jack!! I have to say you've had some great P-cars in the past and I hope someday, I can have some where near that number.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:14 PM
RAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud of
Both cars are nice. Can you post up some more pics of the '87?

Old 07-16-2013, 05:28 AM
ur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to all
Both lovely cars!

Enjoy and share the new owner stories for both and your friend with your old car...

Old 07-16-2013, 05:40 AM
991 3Turbo is on a distinguished road
Very nice. I like the white

Old 07-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Both cars are nice. Can you post up some more pics of the '87?
Thank you!

Here's what it looked like the day I brought it home in 2001...

During the widebody conversion, before paint...

After I shot the last clear coat in 2010...

And a recent pic, taken the day before my friend and I traded cars...

I really wanted to be able to keep both cars but finances just didn't permit it. The '87 went to a great home, though and I still have visitation rights.

Attached Images     
Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 AM
YoopsRacing will become famous soon enough
Congrats on the GT3 a awesome car.....you will miss the 87 slightly now be rest assured!

Old 07-19-2013, 11:15 PM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
Originally Posted by JackB911
Thank you!

Here's what it looked like the day I brought it home in 2001...

During the widebody conversion, before paint...

After I shot the last clear coat in 2010...

And a recent pic, taken the day before my friend and I traded cars...

I really wanted to be able to keep both cars but finances just didn't permit it. The '87 went to a great home, though and I still have visitation rights.
Did you do anything with the engine. I may pick up an 84 Carrera and do the same thing.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by GTRR
Did you do anything with the engine. I may pick up an 84 Carrera and do the same thing.
Aside from a GHL cat bypass and a M&K dual outlet sport muffler, the engine was bone stock, no chip. When the engine was out for new head studs and valve guides, the camshafts were advanced 4 degrees to provide a bit more low end torque which is nice for around town driving.

The A/C, radio, center console, and heater blower assembly were deleted and this, coupled with the lighter fiberglass bumpers, rear lid and Recaro seats got the weight down to 2520 lbs. While nowhere near as fast as a GT3, the Carrera was a quick, very entertaining, back-to-basics ride although it wasn't what I would call "hard core"...except on those really hot days with no A/C!

Old 07-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Back to the GT3...my "to do" list for now...I was an aircraft mechanic in my Army days and still like to turn wrenches...

- Oil change
- Replace the scuffed front spoiler lip - Suncoast appears to have the best price on an OEM one
- Have the TPMS deactivated - at Goldcrest Motorsports, hopefully, as they are close by
- Do a thorough "wheels off" detail job. I don't do concours any more but I like a clean car

Later on I want to get the coolant pipes welded (Goldcrest) and decide what to do with the exhaust. The car came with a new, in-the-box Fabspeed rear muffler delete but I don't like the Miami Vice tips it came with. I much prefer the simple, large outlet RSS tip I put on the stock muffler but it won't work on the Fabspeed. If cost wasn't an object (it is...) I'd LOVE to have a M&M rear muffler with side deletes. There is SO much heat coming off those side mufflers! So right now I'm undecided on the exhaust situation.

Springs - The H&R's on the car are great from a ride and handling perspective but the car sits lower than is sensible for street driving so I may try to source some stock springs. But I can buy 4 or 5 spoiler lips for what a spring swap and a proper alignment will cost.

I can't think of anything else it needs at the moment.

Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 PM
ur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to all
Why not just raise the spring perches up which will increase the ride height? I did this when I moved to my new place- (my car just grounded out when I tried to get in so I raised the front by 12 turns and the back by 8) Then get a geometry check/adjusted.

Another but expensive option is the KW HLS4 suspension package which replaces all the shocks and springs and gives you hydraulic hight adjustment for the dips, high kerbs and speed bumps. This is now my solution.

Jay

Old 07-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by ur20v
Why not just raise the spring perches up which will increase the ride height? I did this when I moved to my new place- (my car just grounded out when I tried to get in so I raised the front by 12 turns and the back by 8) Then get a geometry check/adjusted.

Another but expensive option is the KW HLS4 suspension package which replaces all the shocks and springs and gives you hydraulic hight adjustment for the dips, high kerbs and speed bumps. This is now my solution.

Jay
Thanks, Jay. I guess I still have torsion bars on the brain. If I can raise the car 15mm via the spring perches, that should suffice. 20mm would be perfect but I don't know if there is that much adjustment available. Speed bumps and some driveway entrances are an issue where I live.

Your suggestion is much appreciated!

Old 07-23-2013, 03:23 AM
Try 15 turns on the perches (use a good pair of C spanners). With wait off the car once released they should turn easily by hand. 20mm is a lot but possible, try in stages and see how you go- 10mm then 15mm and so on. Its an easy job and you don't need to take the wheels off if you don't want but make sure both wheels of the same axle are off the ground as the roll bar will put weight on the spring otherwise.

Cheers
Jay

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 - my 22nd Porsche since 1972