GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

'07 GT3 Trans Oil Change - Trouble Removing Fill PLug

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 07:34 AM
bruce88 is on a distinguished road
'07 GT3 Trans Oil Change - Trouble Removing Fill PLug

Hey Guys. Need a little help.

I'm in process of changing the used trans gear oil in my '07 GT3 for the 1st time (going the install Redline 75/90wt NS GL-5 because I track the car) and am having trouble removing the fill-plug.

I removed the drain plug with a standard 10mm Hex Bit but the fill-plug doesn't accept that same 10mm bit and 8mm and 9mm bits are too small (they just spin around in the fill-plug's socket).

I don't see any damage to the fill plug socket either.

The drain plug was obvious and I've already removed it and drained the used gear oil.

What I believe is the fill-plug is a plug that appears to be the same size and configuration as the drain plug located above the drain plug (roughly in the same vertical line) on the upper portion of the passenger's side of the trans case.

Please see the attached pics. It's difficult to see the upper plug that I believe is the fill-plug in the attached pic but hope someone can tell me if that's the fill-plug, or not. If not, please guide me to the right one! :-)

I didn't see a washer on the drain plug but presume it should have one. I measured the drain plug flange and it appears that it would accept a 21mm crush washer. Does it (and/or the fill-plug) require a washer?

Btw, is there a filter? I don't think so but would like to confirm. If there is a filter, please indicate where it is and how to replace.

Lastly, there was what I feel is quite a bit of metal shavings on the drain plug magnet. Please check out the attached pic and let me know what you think. I strained the used gear oil and did not find any other metal shavings or debris (see attached pic). Is that a typical amount of shavings?

Really appreciate your help!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140619_145600_resized.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	389442   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140619_145655_resized.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	389443   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140619_145642_resized.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	933.8 KB
ID:	389444   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140619_182149_resized.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	707.7 KB
ID:	389445  
Old 06-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
STOP! I don't believe that is the right plug!!!!! I believe the right plug is on the other side. I removed this inadvertantly on my 996 gt3 and it was tranny out time to fix it (If its the same thing I removed, it is a pin that attaches to the shift linkages inside the tranny, and once its pulled out its very hard to get everything hooked back up without opening of the tranny case). Check the other side and see if you see a plug...it will be lower down on the tranny case. The plug I inadvertantly removed was quite a bit higher up. Good luck!

Old 06-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you very much! You're absolutely correct. The fill plug IS on the driver's side of the case about 1/3rd the way from the bottom. Would have been a big problem had I removed that other plug on the passenger's side.

Btw, nice GT3 you got there. Sounds like you've made some nice mod's. Hope we can meet up on the track sometime.

Thanks, again.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Trollinger is on a distinguished road
I dont think you want to run Redline in that transmission. I might be wrong but I recall a post on the other forum from Matt Monson (sp) about what cars to run Redline in and which ones you should not. Pretty sure he said Redline was not good for the GT3, but my memory might be off.

Most folks run Mobil Devlac or Porsche brand. Personally I would not run anything else.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bruce88
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you very much! You're absolutely correct. The fill plug IS on the driver's side of the case about 1/3rd the way from the bottom. Would have been a big problem had I removed that other plug on the passenger's side.

Btw, nice GT3 you got there. Sounds like you've made some nice mod's. Hope we can meet up on the track sometime.

Thanks, again.
No problem...glad I could help you avoid an expensive mistake! You would not believe what I did to get that bolt out (used dremel tool to cut a groove, bought a socket with a flat blade head, applied heat and "freeze off," etc....). I just figurd it had seized and was really stubborn! When it came out and I realized what I had done (after noting the floppy shifter!) it was the sickest feeling. Sometimes perserverance does not pay off (I don't give up easily but this time I should have!).

Old 06-23-2014, 10:58 AM
What a nightmare! Work so hard and have it turn out badly. So infuriating. Been there too many times. Thanks, again.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:56 AM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
Whew. Fill plug is next to cooler. That other one is a bolt that'll mess with shift linkage and require drop to fix. Use Oem fluid or delvac. Always remove fill first. Mine was a bear to open. Used crush washer on both. Aluminum. Shavings look normal. Clean that up.