GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Another PCCB replacement thread

Old 07-11-2014, 08:48 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Giro discs allow you to use your parking brake unlike PFCs. Been tracking them hard for 4 years (not same set obviously). Good stuff...
Giro's on my 996 dedicated track car and have been very happy with them.

To the OP, what is the reason you're looking to remove the PCCB's? Are you looking at doing a lot more tracking? 10K miles is nothing for a street car. I had 64,000 miles (and a few track days) when i sold my turbo. Keep an eye on your pads and for a street car pccb's should last a veeeery long time. Also, i'm pretty sure the method for checking life on pccb's is by weight, not thickness. Haven't owned my turbo for a while so i may be wrong on that.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Nurburg611 will become famous soon enoughNurburg611 will become famous soon enough
Yes looking at 10+ track days per year and quite a bit of DD too. My dealer said rotors go by mm, 10mm being brand new brakes at 3mm you need rotor replacement. I have 10mm in the rear (basically new) but already down to 7mm in the front. Not sure it's a linear relationship but at current trajectory I have another 13k miles to go and then need to replace the front rotors (in fact could be even much less depending how many track days I'm getting in this year). Basically, looking at a $10k front rotor replacement next year or the year after.

In other words, I've already used up 40% of my front rotors in less than 10,000 miles. I can only think it must be correlated to track days since PCCB supposedly last an eternity under normal street conditions.

Still doing research but I x-ed out the Brembo steel option (4.5k replacement).

Pretty much deciding between PFC slotted front and turbo OEM in rear or giro all the way around. Would love to hear about some other experiences with these options.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:25 AM
paver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud of
I've read a lot about PCCB's but I don't understand what 10mm in the rear and 7mm in the front means. Are you talking about pad thickness? Post some pics of the rotors if you want to get opinions other than from a dealer who wants to sell you a $19,000 set of brakes.
The PCCB track life is not linear as I understand it. The friction resistance is supposedly in a very, very thin veneer only on the face of the disc. Once you get past it and into the core of the disc, things get ugly quick.

Countless track miles have been done with the PFC slotted front/oem rear combo.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:25 AM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
Pfc, giro, brembo all good options. Oem and cup rotors on mine had cracks pretty fast from track use. Some say brembo lasts longest. Expensive to buy in but replacement rings are less than Oem and hats are reused. I use brembo type 3 front/rear with pfc 08 pads. My fronts have the heavier enduro brembo rotors. More cooling vanes and thicker side material. I have not run pfc rotors but many like them. Downside is if your want rears pfc rear has no parking brake. With brembo parking brake works. Also I liked the feel of brembo with pfc once cup with pfc. The brembo rotors material had much better bite and modulation feel.

Anyway I went brembo as I got a good deal on hats and just got replacement rings. If I bought new id go pfc front with turbo or Oem .2 rear. Pfc 08 or endless pads.