GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Another PCCB replacement thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Nurburg611 will become famous soon enoughNurburg611 will become famous soon enough
Another PCCB replacement thread

Been reading through a bunch of related threads but still seeking advice. Currently have 7 mm left in the front and 10 mm in the rear. Car has 10k miles on it and 2 track days down, at least 5 more to go this year. Overall, my PCCBs are in good shape. This is a 2011 GT3.

My plan is to remove the rotors by the end of this season when they're (hopefully) about mid worn and replace with a cheaper alternative. I was thinking of replacing just the rotors with Brembo Type III 380/350. That will cost me 5k plus installation.

Any other sensible alternatives?

Anything I should keep in mind regarding the calipers and pads? Financially worthwhile replacing these also?

I really don't want to face an OEM PCCB replacement so focusing on this now while I can. That said, want to replace as little as possible. This is about cost control and not brake upgrades.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:56 PM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
PFC and Racingbrake make steel rotor replacements that are more reasonable than the Brembos. Your calipers will be fine and just swap out to better pads like PFC's or Endless.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I'd go PFC slotted front and Porsche drilled rear. A friend did this on his 2010 GT3 RS and it is working well.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:59 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Girodisc floating 2 piece 380mm 72 vane fronts and 350mm 48 vane rears. Fronts weight 23.8lbs and rears 16.5lbs. Great set up when used with PFC 08s. The complete set of front/rear 380/350 Giros will run you under $2800. I have a brand new set if you need one..

Stick with the OEM Brembo calipers. You won't find anything better in the aftermarket. PFCs are fantastic track pads that work reasonably well on the street also.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14579674976_3f116ec8b1_o.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	395347  

Last edited by pwdrhound; 07-08-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Nurburg611 will become famous soon enoughNurburg611 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Girodisc floating 2 piece 380mm 72 vane fronts and 350mm 48 vane rears. Fronts weight 23.8lbs and rears 16.5lbs. Great set up when used with PFC 08s. The complete set of front/rear 380/350 Giros will run you under $2800. I have a brand new set if you need one..

Stick with the OEM Brembo calipers. You won't find anything better in the aftermarket. PFCs are fantastic track pads that work reasonably well on the street also.

Thanks - quick question on that: why would track pads work only "reasonably well" on the street?

Old 07-08-2014, 09:52 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nurburg611
Thanks - quick question on that: why would track pads work only "reasonably well" on the street?
Because track pads are designed to operate at a much higher temperature than what they will "see" on the street. When cold, they won't have quite the bite and will be more agressive on the rotors and generally squeal a bit

Old 07-09-2014, 09:09 AM
paver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud of
There is no need to replace calipers just because you are doing away with the ceramic rotors. In fact, if you want to you can even run the oem iron rotors with yellow calipers. If you're doing just a few track days per year, that is an easy way to go.
If you want to go with a slotted rotor, the pfc is about $1600 for the front from Clarke at Apex Performance. He's a great guy to deal with.
Never used the Girodisc but <$2800 all way around sounds like a good price for slotteds.
I recommend PFC pads too(Clarke is the best source).

Old 07-09-2014, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by paver
There is no need to replace calipers just because you are doing away with the ceramic rotors. In fact, if you want to you can even run the oem iron rotors with yellow calipers. If you're doing just a few track days per year, that is an easy way to go.
If you want to go with a slotted rotor, the pfc is about $1600 for the front from Clarke at Apex Performance. He's a great guy to deal with.
Never used the Girodisc but <$2800 all way around sounds like a good price for slotteds.
I recommend PFC pads too(Clarke is the best source).
Thanks - yes I've also called a few performance shops and they said OEM steel rotors are an option although parts come out to $4,500 roughly the same as the Brembo Type III. Don't know much about PFC but all GT3 Cup (991) are being outfitted with that brand now for what it's worth. I like the price point of PFC but was told s o m e customers weren't too delighted with them. Any other experiences with PFC?

Also got some mixed feedback on Giro..

What's the benefit of a slotted rotor - just weight?

Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:09 AM
paver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud of
Thanks - yes I've also called a few performance shops and they said OEM steel rotors are an option although parts come out to $4,500 roughly the same as the Brembo Type III. Don't know much about PFC but all GT3 Cup (991) are being outfitted with that brand now for what it's worth. I like the price point of PFC but was told s o m e customers weren't too delighted with them. Any other experiences with PFC?

Also got some mixed feedback on Giro..

What's the benefit of a slotted rotor - just weight?

Thanks for all the feedback.
A $4500 parts quote for oem iron sounds way high.
Look here:https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego...t32brakes.html

To change to oem iron rotors should only be ~$2500 in parts. And that is including new wheel locating pins(the 5 red nubs) all around. A new set of pads should be an additional ~$850 if you go PFC. The labor should only be about 4 hrs I'm guessing(I do it myself so don't know how much a shop would charge but it's not a hard job).
The oem parts should even be a little cheaper if you order from Sonnen
Porsche instead of Suncoast.

All rotors crack with track use. Slotted will generally last longer before the cracking gets to the point of needing to retire them.

I would be curious to know more about the dissatisfaction with PFC...a big group of guys on Rennlist loves them.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Edwin814 is on a distinguished road
I swapped out my PCCB rotors with PFC slotted front and OEM turbo crossdrilled rear, and running PFC 08 pads all around. A lot of RL track guys run this set up. I'm pretty happy with this setup. Expect some additional brake squeal.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Edwin814
I swapped out my PCCB rotors with PFC slotted front and OEM turbo crossdrilled rear, and running PFC 08 pads all around. A lot of RL track guys run this set up. I'm pretty happy with this setup. Expect some additional brake squeal.
Thanks - may I ask what the reason is for the OEM turbo in the rear vs. PFC all way around? Seems like couple guys run OEM in the rear. Understand that front brakes are doing most of the duty.

Is that brake squeal very prominent when using racing pads? My first inclination was who cares but she's getting a lot of street driving too. Worried I'll get annoyed at some point.

Thanks everyone this is really good information!

Old 07-09-2014, 01:05 PM
Edwin814 is on a distinguished road
Thanks - may I ask what the reason is for the OEM turbo in the rear vs. PFC all way around? Seems like couple guys run OEM in the rear. Understand that front brakes are doing most of the duty.

Is that brake squeal very prominent when using racing pads? My first inclination was who cares but she's getting a lot of street driving too. Worried I'll get annoyed at some point.

Thanks everyone this is really good information!
PFC does make rear steel rotor but doesn't have handbrake connection. So unless you don't plan to use the handbrake ever again OEM turbo rear will last a long time and cheap to replace.

When I first put them on and bedded the pads, the squeal was quite bad. but after one track day, the noise had gone away dramatically. Maybe I didn't bed the brake properly. It does still squeal but rarely.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Giro discs allow you to use your parking brake unlike PFCs. Been tracking them hard for 4 years (not same set obviously). Good stuff...

Old 07-10-2014, 04:01 PM
I was also told that if you use PFC dimpled rotors instead of slotted, the rear set will accept the hand brake (only slotted won't).

But then again slotted rotors seem to be the primary choice here.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:08 PM
I was also told that if you use PFC dimpled rotors instead of slotted, the rear set will accept the hand brake (only slotted won't).
That is incorrect.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another PCCB replacement thread