GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Which model GT3 is most reliable.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 02:31 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Which model GT3 is most reliable.....

Since I just sold my CTT, am now on for the search for a GT3. I was leaning towards an 07 and had a great opportunity to pick one up with 38K miles (I don't mind the mileage so long as I know the owner, how well it was taken care of, etc) and I plan to drive it as often as I can. BUT, seeing as I've owned two 997.1's (A modified Turbo and a Carrera S), my wife suggested why not go for a 991.1 GT3.

Now, here's my question, and I haven't found a recent article discussing / comparing the pro's and con's of each model year from 996, two gen's of 997, current 991 and the new gen 2 991 coming out this year.

Seeing as the 991's have engine reliability concerns, "finger follower" issues as I've heard stated, I'm now a little concerned and leary of the long term viability of owning a 991 UNLESS it is still under factory warranty or CPO'd.

That being the case, would love to be educated by fellow GT3 owners on their thoughts. I know the Metzger dry sump engines of the 997.1 (07-08's) which I believe also were in the 996's are tanks on the track and pretty no frills, but again would love to get a take from all the experts who own, have owned or are thinking to own any generation GT3.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully this is an educational thread for more than just me......

Old 06-02-2017, 05:21 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Berk, Any Metzger GT3...996.2, 997.1

Old 06-02-2017, 08:26 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Chuck - I think you're on point, and should have closed the deal on the one I was looking at...... I'm just in love with the interior of the 991.1 GT3..... agreed with the Metzger engines though. Do you still have yours? Any cons?

Old 06-02-2017, 08:59 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !

Yeah, I do, and I probably have one of the lowest mileage 2005 around (18k) even though I drive it often....absolutely no issues, especially with the motor (uses zero oil between changes)...I did replace the rear suspension arms with Tarett adjustable monballs and eccentric locking plates, which made a huge difference in holding rear alignment and stopped it from going through rear tires like crazy...other than that adjustable drop links on both ends (eliminates sway bar preload) Euro GT3 seats which really spices up the interior and comfort..body color powder coated Techquipment roll bar and red Scroth harnesses...lightweight BBS wheels...clear turn sigs and Silver hood crest...factory CF RS rear wing (have stock too), I have a painted to match cup front spoiler that wouldn't survive my driveway so it hasn't been installed, hardwired V1...I have carbon fiber side mirror covers but I haven't installed them...it's a great car and if you can find one like it I think you will be very happy...they can't be modded for big hp like a turbo but still a big kick every time I drive it...I think Sharky modded an RS motor to 4.0 displacement and it was a rocket...some guys have modded the tranny to cup gears but then you spend a lot more time near redline and should adopt cup car rebuild schedule...good luck in your search...to me, that is great fun even though it is sometimes frustrating. Let me know what you end up with!

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-02-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:44 PM
Chuck - I never realized all you put in to your GT3. Please share pics and any action shots especially like your avatar pic. Car sounds like it's tons of fun AND extremely well sorted out. You've done an amazing job man! Thanks for the input! It is definitely frustrating at times like you said, but considering these are first world problems of course! Will definitely keep you posted on what I end up with. Had that modified 997.1 Turbo which I loved and had crazy power, but I think I'm looking for more gritty, raw power and NA sound!!!

Old 06-02-2017, 09:45 PM
Damn - just saw your photos!!!!! Car looks awesome man!!!!!! One of the beatbox GT3's I've seen!!!!

Old 06-02-2017, 11:02 PM
Administrator
Thanks Berk...she does look sweet for a 12 yr old...here are a couple track photos from Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow....

Old 06-03-2017, 10:26 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
3.6 liter cars
2004-5 996 gt3
2007-8 997.1gt3/rs

Old 06-03-2017, 11:04 PM
Administrator
Mooty knows stuff...especially when it comes to GT3's

Old 06-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Extremely clean and one of the finest examples of a 996 GT3 Chuck!!! Enjoy it in good health!!!

Mooty - thx for the confirmations, what is your opinion on the longevity of the 991's. Any reason why the 997.2 GT3's are not recommended by you? I've heard the center wheel locks need replacement after some time.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:26 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
991 is too new i dont have enough data to say what it will be long term, though i like the chassis very much and still has mine.

997.2 is very good. i prefer it over 997.1 but you asked which is more reliable. the 3.6 are less stressed. i like the 3.8 and 4.0 motor a lot more. but they are more high strung so slightly less reliable.

but we are really splitting hairs here.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Thx Mooty - These are the types of details I'm looking for. I want a car I'd love to drive and have minimal reliability issues. Had a 997.1 Turbo and it was bullet proof, plus I'd like to drive the GT3 and not have any worries. But the INTERIOR of the 991 is SOOOOO nice. Will keep mulling around..... Thx for the info!

Old 06-14-2017, 06:26 PM
orthofrancis is an unknown quantity at this point
I have 07 997.1 GT3 - at 59,000 miles now - got it at 12K miles. Only repair I've had to do, despite a bunch of HPDE and AX has been a blown water pipe. Car does not use oil, and I get close to redlining it weekly.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:49 PM
ap3x ftw is an unknown quantity at this point
Metzger! Mooty said it all ^.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:54 PM
Been a while since I've been on 6SO. Wish I didn't let the 07 GT3 go that I was about to buy (traded in my CTT). had 38K miles on it and was dialed in!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.