GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

How is the market currently for a 991 GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 11:26 PM
sniry12345 is a jewel in the roughsniry12345 is a jewel in the roughsniry12345 is a jewel in the rough
Many things ironic about the current "GT is cool, turbo is boring" routine.
My 3 all time ironic situation until now-
1. A guy considering trading in his top of the line turbo S super car for a GTS (which is also turbo charged......) thinking he will get more noise and "excitement".
2. A guy considering the base carrera with the strap handle (known has the T) over a turbo S "i am a fan of the strap handle"
3. And saved the best for the last- a guy suggesting he would prefer the GT3RS over the GT2RS (!! multiple by a lot) because he wants the "better" noise.

Anyway, here is me trying to save the guy from buying a 220K .1 GT3RS few month back hope it worked

About the true market for this cars, very easy- it's a regular 991.1 GT3 + 10-15 percent. Like the very first professional driver who drove it said 3 years ago, when it was still going for 250K+

Last edited by sniry12345; 02-28-2019 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:40 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
"True market" for these cars doesn't really apply. They are not limited and should have normal depreciation. But they don't. The RS is a cool looking car, but with limited usefulness. With tons on the market, the real selling prices are tough...many of the cars are owned by people with many cars and have really little concern if the car sells. Plenty of excessive asking prices, but people don't care if they move. However, there are many buyers waiting for the prices to drop, therefore supporting the higher prices. I really think if you find a good car that somebody actually WANTS to sell, or NEEDS to sell, bargains can be had. However, the 2016 RS is slower around the track than a 2018 GT3 and far less streetable. And they are trading in the same price range. Why bother other than for the hot looking fenders and monster wing?

2018 GT3 manuals are another matter. Once so hot, there are plenty on the used market. The potential manual owner group is VERY small now. Those prices don't look at all to be a premium over a PDK car. I really wonder how those cars are moving.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:28 PM
sniry12345 is a jewel in the roughsniry12345 is a jewel in the roughsniry12345 is a jewel in the rough
Good points. However, i guess that so MANY were made, there there are different type of people holding and selling it. Looking at cars.com there are 113 .1 gt3rs for sale! 99 percent by dealers, which i guess got it in as trade. Interesting to see most of the cars has quite a lot of mileage (5000+), in addition, the system analyze 160K-170K cars as "good" (not great) deal, meaning this is the price it is going for now. If you told the forum and youtube guys "fighting" for "allocation" 2 years ago, that soon a gt3rs will be sold just a fraction on the price more as an identical mileage and MY 991.1 (not 991.2) "boring" "not rare" "not sought after" "sell for big discount" "sound like vacuum cleaner" turbo S, they would think you are crazy. I think there is more price drop to be coming.

Again, about the actual car, this car is slow and it never brought home any record. I didn't yet heard of a "track focus" new car (back in 2016) that doesn't been taken to try brake the ring. About the 991.1 rs vs 991.2 gt3- depends, are you going to enjoy the special product or are you going to brake records? must talk in favor of the .1 rs this time, this thing is exotic. it's made out of special materials and has 21 tires at the back .. non of those cars will brake any record. if you find low mileage rs in great condition i would take it over the regular .2 that will probably be boring for you after a short while.

Last edited by sniry12345; 02-28-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:24 PM
SCIronMike is on a distinguished road
The Lava Orange GT3 RS that CNC Motors sold at dealer auction popped up today at Porsche Livermore. I've noticed other cars moving between dealerships. I looked at a white GT3 RS at Ferrari South Bay this past weekend. It only has less than 150 miles on the odometer. It has been on consignment for several months now and the owner is asking over MSRP. Per the salesman, the same owner also has a new GT2 RS than he wants to put on consignment. Sounded like he wants a huge amount over MSRP.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by SCIronMike
The Lava Orange GT3 RS that CNC Motors sold at dealer auction popped up today at Porsche Livermore. I've noticed other cars moving between dealerships. I looked at a white GT3 RS at Ferrari South Bay this past weekend. It only has less than 150 miles on the odometer. It has been on consignment for several months now and the owner is asking over MSRP. Per the salesman, the same owner also has a new GT2 RS than he wants to put on consignment. Sounded like he wants a huge amount over MSRP.
Sounds like a guy who buy them from dealer in premium and trying to sale again ? Porsche won't give the car (GT2RS) at retail to a flipper who publish his cars in public like this.
Any way, Lava orange is nice color and the white is good for this car with all wheels but silver. At the end of the day, great cars but it's price should be exactly like Porsche tented- 10-15 percent more than a regular GT3 retail price.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:19 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SCIronMike
The Lava Orange GT3 RS that CNC Motors sold at dealer auction popped up today at Porsche Livermore. I've noticed other cars moving between dealerships.
I believe dealers tend to protect their own inventory and tend to wholesale a car to another dealer rather than try to dump it at a really low price. As a result, dogs like this will float among dealers until it hits "Joe's Sportscars" and they try to finally move it. I saw a PTS car today for over $200k. Good luck. It was solid, non metallic black. While an interesting PTS, most people now that solid black is insane to care for, even if it is PTS. Car had about 8k miles and looked like it was probably tracked. Don't know what actual trading price is, but I certainly wouldn't pay over sticker.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:09 AM
Originally Posted by ryem3
I believe dealers tend to protect their own inventory and tend to wholesale a car to another dealer rather than try to dump it at a really low price. As a result, dogs like this will float among dealers until it hits "Joe's Sportscars" and they try to finally move it. I saw a PTS car today for over $200k. Good luck. It was solid, non metallic black. While an interesting PTS, most people now that solid black is insane to care for, even if it is PTS. Car had about 8k miles and looked like it was probably tracked. Don't know what actual trading price is, but I certainly wouldn't pay over sticker.
I have given up on getting a GT3 RS. The asking prices are not realistic. I flew from CA to FL yesterday and purchased a ‘09 Rossa Corsa 430 Scuderia.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:34 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
It would be neat if you would share your feelings about this Scuderia after you have owned it a while. Good luck and.. enjoy.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by john rice
It would be neat if you would share your feelings about this Scuderia after you have owned it a while. Good luck and.. enjoy.
The Scud got delivered last Wednesday, and I'm loving it so far. It is a great complement to my R8, which is much more refined.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:34 PM
HpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond repute
Tons of orange 991.1 RS on the market in the 160s and thats retail money. I have to think they will continue to drop. Just a blip in the sequence of great RS cars it appears. Personally, and speaking for my taste only as an older 6speeder, I much prefer the 997.2 GT3RS -- that market seems solidly higher relative to MSRP than the 991.1 will ever be.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by HpizKing
Tons of orange 991.1 RS on the market in the 160s and thats retail money. I have to think they will continue to drop. Just a blip in the sequence of great RS cars it appears. Personally, and speaking for my taste only as an older 6speeder, I much prefer the 997.2 GT3RS -- that market seems solidly higher relative to MSRP than the 991.1 will ever be.
It's really an interesting cross shopping market now. At this price level, a 2018 GT3, 2016 GT3 RS, McLaren 570S, or even a 2017 Turbo S.
As mentioned before, the 2016 RS is a bit of a forelorned car, never set any records and performance quickly eclipsed by a 2018 GT3 or even a 2017 turbo. They are still crazy cars that will always make an impression and they are still Porsche GT cars, which inevitably will still retain good value.
The 997.2 RS is holding value because they are manual. The market for manuals is still inflated. I think that's a real bubble that will burst. As the eligible buyer for a manual gets older, the demand will decrease, no matter how appealing the car is. Lack of buyers will simply reduce demand and lower prices. An interesting example is the Golf R. Tons of manuals around, no DSG cars. Most of the younger target market for the car can't drive manual - even new, the 2018 manual car was discounted about 10% before dealers could move them.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:22 AM
It's really an interesting cross shopping market now. At this price level, a 2018 GT3, 2016 GT3 RS, McLaren 570S, or even a 2017 Turbo S.
As mentioned before, the 2016 RS is a bit of a forelorned car, never set any records and performance quickly eclipsed by a 2018 GT3 or even a 2017 turbo. They are still crazy cars that will always make an impression and they are still Porsche GT cars, which inevitably will still retain good value.
The 997.2 RS is holding value because they are manual. The market for manuals is still inflated. I think that's a real bubble that will burst. As the eligible buyer for a manual gets older, the demand will decrease, no matter how appealing the car is. Lack of buyers will simply reduce demand and lower prices. An interesting example is the Golf R. Tons of manuals around, no DSG cars. Most of the younger target market for the car can't drive manual - even new, the 2018 manual car was discounted about 10% before dealers could move them.
The Eclipsed performance is even by a 991.1 (.1) turbo S on the track. The "even" is not because the GT3RS is superior but rather because they made such a big TRACK "buzz" and posing with weight reduction without actually checking it i guess. The car being a GT car won't necessarily give it an value advantage in the future.. "GT" car is not a made in a different facility/line/workers/"not mass production" like speculated. The 991.1 GT3RS is very quickly becoming the 996 of the line ("the black sheep"), intensified by the massive amount of cars that were actually produced (about 5000).

Nice review on the manual car market!

Last edited by sniry12345; 03-29-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:24 AM
ngoan is an unknown quantity at this point
I can tell you that the age pool of eligible buyers for manual cars is replenishing as much as it is depleting. I was cross shopping between a 991.2 GT3 manual and an RS 3.8, I chose the manual RS and couldn’t have been any happier. There’s more to the 997 RS than just the transmission. With that said, if the 16 RS keeps dropping in price, I wouldn’t mind owning both.

Last edited by ngoan; 04-08-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by ngoan
I can tell you that the age pool of eligible buyers for manual cars is replenishing as much as it is depleting. I was cross shopping between a 991.2 GT3 manual and an RS 3.8, I chose the manual RS and couldn’t have been any happier. There’s more to the 997 RS than just the transmission. With that said, if the 16 RS keeps dropping in price, I wouldn’t mind owning both.
3.8 RS, what a nice car! any pictures?

And yes, those 991.1 RS are Barging into the Bargain territory.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:27 PM
ngoan is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by sniry12345
3.8 RS, what a nice car! any pictures?

And yes, those 991.1 RS are Barging into the Bargain territory.
Thank you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How is the market currently for a 991 GT3RS?