GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3RS....Price Gouging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:54 PM
cramos67 is on a distinguished road
GT3RS....Price Gouging

I'm new to the group and have spent as much free time as I can trying to get a "feel" for the sight. I have seen previous post regarding, what some on the site would say are, "out of control dealers" trying to take advantage of a hot market. I'm also aware we have dealers on the ssite as sponors, so I want to be very careful abt the words I choose...... so, I have had a very good experience buying my 997 GT3. I have been on the list for a RS longer than the GT3 and I recently got a call from my dealer trying to sell me a RS at 45k over sticker. At first I was told the car was a consignment car and they were just doing a favor for someone.....I later found out that the has a MOS(documantation prior to tittle), so I asked more questions and as I "figured" the car is NOT a consignment car, but a "pool" car delivered from PNA(ie not from the alocation list) and they are trying to get top dollar for it. Again, I must say that I felt lucky to have the GT3, so I have mixed feelings abt my dealership now trying to hook me for an addtional 45k. I have a signed sale agreement with my dealership for the RS, but I far from number 1 on the list. How do they get away with this type of practice......if there's any lawyers out there in the group, I'd love to have their feedback. I've taken a look via web and have found several RS's for sale via dealerships, of course all wanting premiums over sticker and I know there's a waiting list at every dealership in the country.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:05 PM
CyE55 is on a distinguished road
Here we go again....

Old 07-19-2007, 02:16 PM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
I'm a lawyer, but I don't practise. I think you should say MSO, not MOS.

Who cares, really. Stupid people make for greedy dealers. Wait 'til next spring and buy a slightly used one less than list.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:55 PM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jamie
I'm a lawyer, but I don't practise. I think you should say MSO, not MOS.

Who cares, really. Stupid people make for greedy dealers. Wait 'til next spring and buy a slightly used one less than list.
Excellent advice. Also, if your in to driving a track car on public street (whale tail and all) buy a GT2 for about the same money. The GT2 will make the RS look like it is a Miata in performance.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:35 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cramos67
I have a signed sale agreement with my dealership for the RS, but I far from number 1 on the list. How do they get away with this type of practice......if there's any lawyers out there in the group, I'd love to have their feedback. I've taken a look via web and have found several RS's for sale via dealerships, of course all wanting premiums over sticker and I know there's a waiting list at every dealership in the country.
if they had seen the situation way before they would make the sales agreement just to cover their a$$. what u have on hand means nothing. if u really ordered the car u will get a spec from Porsche with ur name & production date on it. that might mean something but what do u have on ur agreement?

Old 07-19-2007, 04:48 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
I think the market is cooling. I got a call out of the blue Tues asking me for my car (give me what I paid for it minus 10K worth of taxes) and getting me an RS for $25K over. Its been sitting for awhile. If it was that hot I dont think dealers would be making 'cold' calls

Old 07-19-2007, 05:25 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Trust me, this time next year you will be able to buy a lightly used RS for a 100k.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:47 PM
chichahoocha is on a distinguished road
I found that most dealers sell the cars to their best clients and then sometimes buy them back after 1000 miles. I paid a premium over sticker for my GT3 and it had 800 miles.It was the car I wanted and I have not regretted that move. The market for 07 RS's will cool but not below sticker for at least a year. RS is more of a collectors car. When Black is standard and they charge $4000 more for orange and green Porsche is talking to collectors. The 07 GT3 and RS are fabulous cars and I think they will stay red hot until they have 10,000 miles on them. I drive my GT3 to work and track it on weekends. It is perfect driver but you have to be careful with the front spoiler.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:50 AM
iceman996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Trust me, this time next year you will be able to buy a lightly used RS for a 100k.
I don't think it will be $100K, but should be no more than original MSRP or slightly less. $100K range is another 2-3 years to go....

Old 07-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Rec Racing has a spectacular aura aboutRec Racing has a spectacular aura about
Hard to believe that they will fall to $100k in a year, of course I may be biased. That meands that the 08s that will be arriving then will be bringing $60k more than an 07? I just don't see that happening.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:50 AM
911 C2S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chichahoocha
I found that most dealers sell the cars to their best clients and then sometimes buy them back after 1000 miles. I paid a premium over sticker for my GT3 and it had 800 miles.It was the car I wanted and I have not regretted that move. The market for 07 RS's will cool but not below sticker for at least a year. RS is more of a collectors car. When Black is standard and they charge $4000 more for orange and green Porsche is talking to collectors. The 07 GT3 and RS are fabulous cars and I think they will stay red hot until they have 10,000 miles on them. I drive my GT3 to work and track it on weekends. It is perfect driver but you have to be careful with the front spoiler.
Front spoiler replacements can be had by your local Porsche dealer for about $80 with discount. Suncoast sells them for about $190.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Jgalt will become famous soon enoughJgalt will become famous soon enough
buying popular cars

I am an attorney and had occasion several years ago to represent a client in a dispute over the then new, ZR1 Corvette. Client had a signed agreement for $1,000. over dealer cost with a deposit over a year before anyone new price or delivery. The car came in and the dealer sent a letter to client informing him (with V.I.N. identified) that his car was in , but that they would not honor the orginal price. The price was retail sticker and he had 48 hours to claim his car. He came to me, said he wanted the car either way, but that he believed he had a deal at $1,000. over cost. We deposited the retail price in the registry of the court (about $60,000.) sued and requested an injunction from the car moving. When the dust settled several weeks later client got a duplicate car at the price that was orignally agreed to. The original car had been promised to a wealthy collector. We wouldn't release the injunction on the original car until the duplicate car was on the ground in the dealership. A lot of emebarrased people at Chevrolet. So, if you make a deal to buy, consult a local attorney and negotiate more on an equal footing.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Formula1 is on a distinguished road
Was the dealer holding a gun to your head? It's their job to call and offer a car for sale. It's their living. If they're asking for 45K over, counter with 20K over or whatever you feel the car is worth. If you can't afford one at that premium, thanks, but no thanks. Lets move on. IIRC your not 1st in line, but have a deposit. Your being offered a chance to move up to 1st if your willing to pay. Sorry, I just don't understand your beef?

Old 07-20-2007, 09:25 AM
cdaniels is on a distinguished road
Buy a F430 or used GT2....

Old 07-21-2007, 10:22 AM
HWJunkie is on a distinguished road
I had an auto broker friend of mine make some calls last week to try to put me on the list for a GT3 mkII and the two or 3 dealers he knew said they had no more spots available, he found one place that said there was only 3 people on the backup list, so he put me on, but I doubt 3 people are going to back out... I'm in Southern California, should I have him try some dealerships in other parts of the country? Would that be easier to get on the list? I mean, it's a 2009 car, how hard could it be to place an order on one? I would just get an RS but those are going for too much over MSRP for me to justify...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3RS....Price Gouging