Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

E-Gear Shifting (im a noob)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 04:05 PM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
E-Gear Shifting (im a noob)

Wondering if anyone can share some advice or point me in the right direction to read up.
I just bought an 08 coupe and am going to Vegas to pick it up tomorrow and drive it back to Colorado.
When i test drove (diff car, but an 08 coupe still), the egear was a little more challenging that I had expected (welcome challenge in fact, i was scared it would be boring). like it didnt seem like you just keep your foot in the gas and pull on the paddle...there was some nuance in getting it go through a smooth shift, as there was getting the right style aggressive shift.
is there a writeup anywhere that talks through an e-gear tutorial? (i'd like to be prepared for this 800 mile road trip in my first exotic :-))

Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
To get a somewhat smooth shift, you have to ease off the gas pedal momentarily when you pull the paddle, and then get back on it... almost like driving a manual.

Have fun learning.

Post pics.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:18 AM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Thanks man! I can't wait. we will be taking tons of pics and video of the 'event'. Im taking delivery at the Palazzo in the morning and heading out :-)

Old 08-15-2008, 01:22 PM
PCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to behold
Wide Open Throttle is th ONLY way to shift...

Congrats on the new ride, actually Axxlrod is correct for smoother shifts.
Lift partially and pull the paddle. Enjoy the drive!!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:18 PM
SoCal955 is on a distinguished road
Congrats! Enjoy the drive.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys. The drive was awesome despite the bad weather once we hit Vail pass at around 10pm. The car was outstanding and it was an awesome way to get used to it. Between that and getting to spend a couple hours washing it today, I feel like I'm getting to know the car pretty well...Here are some pics from the drive:

Taking Delivery at the Palazzo:

Leaving Vegas:

First rest stop...probably still in Nevada:

Second stop in Arizona Desert:

We ran with this guy at about 110-120 for a while:

Utah Stop:

Utah Desert:

Old 08-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Sunset in Western Colorado:

Old 08-18-2008, 08:23 AM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Congrats on the purchase man! Looks like you had a fantastic trip back.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:17 PM
memo is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the purchase. I am also in the market for a e-gear. How do you like it so far?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Well the road trip helped, but still once I got back home it still made me a bit nervous and was a little jerky with it on some of the shifts and when coming to a stop at a light/stop sign. Once I drove it around town a little, and re-read the manual on how its supposed to work I started using Neutral more (which i believe is better on the clutch as well) and now i have it smooth and totally love it. I still have to put more miles on it and get more used to it overall, but i'm really stoked on it now.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the review and congrats again. drive safe!!

Old 08-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by memo
I am also in the market for a e-gear.
Also, one of the arguments that i heard for it that I thought was pretty convincing, was - honestly what other opportunity are you going to have to get a car with a crazy cool F1 transmission.
Every other car I had ever owned was a manual transmission, so i was very nervous about losing some of the connection and feeling of 'driving' the car. I'ts definitely different, but it still feels awesome. I would totally recommend it.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by villains_turbo
Also, one of the arguments that i heard for it that I thought was pretty convincing, was - honestly what other opportunity are you going to have to get a car with a crazy cool F1 transmission.
Every other car I had ever owned was a manual transmission, so i was very nervous about losing some of the connection and feeling of 'driving' the car. I'ts definitely different, but it still feels awesome. I would totally recommend it.
Thank you!! I had a SMG M3 before and loved it, it was a whole different experience. I am guessing e-gear will be smoother than the SMG? I have to sell my 997tt first but I am already in the market, as soon as I find a good deal, I will jump on it. Can't wait

Old 08-25-2008, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by memo
Thank you!! I had a SMG M3 before and loved it, it was a whole different experience. I am guessing e-gear will be smoother than the SMG? I have to sell my 997tt first but I am already in the market, as soon as I find a good deal, I will jump on it. Can't wait
My M3 was manual, so I can't say from direct experiene, but from everything I have read, yes - it will be a bit different than SMG, smoother, faster, stronger, etc.