Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

Is a Gallardo a daily driver?

Old 04-07-2010, 08:51 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
i live in michigan and dd my gallardo bought in oct 09 and put 6k miles on it so far its a fun car even in the snow a couple of times.... the turn radius is large the e-gear is a little tricky to get used to a couple of issues i figured out in a 100 miles or so the lift system is key in michigan changed the front a rear diff oil it was pretty easy just bought the oil filter wrench and plan on changing the oil in a couple thousand miles should be pretty straight forward... i would go with an 06 or newer due to different gear ratio in the tranny also different clutch plates and software ..... if it goes not that big of a deal lambo chicago quoted me $5800....
tim

love every mile i put on it (except the spaceship issues i think my car is on every kids fb page in grandville)...

Old 04-08-2010, 07:01 AM
SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !
love every mile i put on it (except the spaceship issues i think my car is on every kids fb page in grandville)...[/quote]

Tim,
Are you sure those are not your kids? After all the sports cars as well as exotics you have and with all the women you have hooked up with....... J/K!

Old 04-08-2010, 10:22 AM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ccrispy
I am thinking on buying a 2004-05 or 06 Gallardo with under 10,000 miles on it & am wondering if I can get some feedback on these cars can they be used as a daily driver, are they reliable, do the clutches go quickly? I appreciate the help.
The Gallardo is as much a daily driver as my two Vipers..which means i wouldn't think so...especially since your from the garden state.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:09 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
do you own a g? ... i do not see it listed..

Originally Posted by 07speed
The Gallardo is as much a daily driver as my two Vipers..which means i wouldn't think so...especially since your from the garden state.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:09 PM
DarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really nice
06+ Gallardo (SE Edition is the money) .... 6-speed ... Nose lift.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Torn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by glh
I have an '06 / 6 gear manual and pretty much drive it everyday it is not raining back and forth to the office. No problem at all, my guess is you need the nose raising thing or else you might cringe pretty often.

In Vermont however the comment above about "like going around in a spaceship" applies...
I saw you on Saturday afternoon cruising in your lambo dude! Wow, what a small world, I was about to make a post to see if you were on the forums!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chris D.
For the record, the eGear clutch on an 04 G and an 06 G are mechanically the same. The eGear software in most 04s can be upgraded to the same version as in an 06 car. Jerky eGear warrants a look at the wear on the clutch or it may mean the car's software needs upgraded. The main differences between the 04 and the 06 cars is the extra 25 HP and the nose lift system. Having owned two 04 Gallardos, the nose lift system strikes me as being more of a novelty item than anything else. The nose on a Gallardo is short and you just have to be careful about how you cross certain bumps or go up and down certain slopes (driveways). The only thing that I would add is that you should be careful about purchasing an 04 with a build number lower than 400 (as indicated by the last 4 digits of the VIN). If the car has been sorted out, it may be OK; however, I would proceed with caution.

Gallardos are fairly reliable and can be daily drivers; however, your normal maintainence items are going to be expensive, e.g., tires, brakes, oil changes, etc. A headlight going out could be a bulb or it could be a $1,000 job replacing an ignitor. If you have a short commute or money to **** away, this may not be an issue.

The clutch on my last 04 had a little over 20,000 miles on it when I sold the car. My current car has 8,000 miles on it and the clutch has 52% wear left on it. Having said that, I have heard of cars needing the clutch replaced at 8,000 miles or even less. It really depends on how and where you drive the car. If you drive it like an old lady (slowly engaging the clutch during slow take offs) and in a lot of stop and go traffic, you can go through one pretty quickly.

Good luck with your decision. I have owned and driven a lot of exotics, and the Gallardo is at the top of the food chain in my opinion unless you have $1 million to blow.
This is not true. The clutch plates were revised after the 04 year due to pre-mature failure. The newer version is called "version E". That being said an 04 or 05 G that has been fitted with the newer clutch and software should be fine.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:17 AM
scryana is on a distinguished road
Would you really want to deal with the noise every morning? Great great car, but when you're dealing with traffic and stress, nothing beats a lexus with quiet and coffee in the morning.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:50 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
Maybe its just me, but I would rather

drive a Gallardo everyday than be forced to suffer a souless car such as a lexus everyday. I agree a Gallardo might be extreme which is why I bought a 911 for DD and the G for weekends.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:12 PM
ContinentalGT is on a distinguished road
The car is the best DD you can get. I drive 15-30 miles on mine everyday after work. I've had it for almost a year and its just as exciting as the first day. My 08 is approaching 12,000 miles and as of 400 miles ago, still has 82% clutch life left. Do not worry, these bulls were built to be driven. Drive and enjoy!!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:26 PM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by tourbillon001
drive a Gallardo everyday than be forced to suffer a souless car such as a lexus everyday. I agree a Gallardo might be extreme which is why I bought a 911 for DD and the G for weekends.
That right there is the PERFECT combination. I tried to keep my 996 when i got my G, but my wife was having none of it :-)
I tried to tell her that the 911 is like the reliable wife you love and want to come home to every night...the G is like the supermodel to adulterize with over the weekend ;-)

But like the one dude said - they are great reliable cars if that is the kinda thing you want to drive every day to commute in...I don't commute personally :-)

Old 04-15-2010, 04:24 AM
Banned
sprite2005 is on a distinguished road
I've put 22,000 miles on my 2008.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Sandman_ZZZ is just really niceSandman_ZZZ is just really niceSandman_ZZZ is just really niceSandman_ZZZ is just really niceSandman_ZZZ is just really nice
I keep hearing about the cost of an oil change and spark plugs. Are these not things that can be done by yourself?

Old 04-15-2010, 11:32 AM
norcal2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by crna
I keep hearing about the cost of an oil change and spark plugs. Are these not things that can be done by yourself?
Oil changes are not that bad, read the manual and its not complicated. Plugs can be a pain as you have to drop the engine brace to get the left bank plugs out, that can take some time but not impossible to do, I did mine myself if you are a DIY guy no worries...

Old 04-15-2010, 04:15 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I'm not a DIY guy

plugs are about 1000 and oil change is 400. If I actually worked while they were performing the service it I would come out ahead financially anyway and they will get it right and I might not

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is a Gallardo a daily driver?