Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

Is a Gallardo a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:38 PM
ccrispy will become famous soon enough
Is a Gallardo a daily driver?

I am thinking on buying a 2004-05 or 06 Gallardo with under 10,000 miles on it & am wondering if I can get some feedback on these cars can they be used as a daily driver, are they reliable, do the clutches go quickly? I appreciate the help.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:19 AM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
used to live in NJ. i wouldn't dd a lambo there...

Old 04-03-2010, 04:19 AM
SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ccrispy
I am thinking on buying a 2004-05 or 06 Gallardo with under 10,000 miles on it & am wondering if I can get some feedback on these cars can they be used as a daily driver, are they reliable, do the clutches go quickly? I appreciate the help.
They are very easy to drive and comfortable to daily drive. As for reliability, depending on your budget but I would go with 2006+ if I were you (more horsepower, most of the early year problems already work out, better transimission,...etc). If you don't live in a congested neighborhood then get a 6 speed manual which is more reliable plus fun otherwise E-gear is easier on your left foot. Go test drive one! Good luck with your hunt and please PM me if you need any additional help or information. Have a wonderful weekend!

Old 04-03-2010, 08:45 AM
paulfromtulsa has a spectacular aura aboutpaulfromtulsa has a spectacular aura aboutpaulfromtulsa has a spectacular aura about
they can be if you want to drive them everyday!!! lol no seriously, gallardo's are very reliable. i agree superleggeragt3 if you can get a 06 or newer. i have seen some clutches last about 20k miles.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:06 PM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
The car is pretty much as daily driveable as a 911TT, but IMO (and in my area) its everyone else that makes it not a reasonable daily driver. That may not be the case if you are in an area that they are more common...but out here you might as well be driving a spaceship around and the attention is kinda ridiculous and kinda sucks.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:57 AM
harkerdude will become famous soon enoughharkerdude will become famous soon enough
I drove a 06' with e-gear and didn't like the transmission. It was jerky and couldn't find a way to drive it smooth. Is there a way to drive it smoother? I loved the sound.. oh the sound.. was amazing! haha. I wish I test drove a 6speed.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:51 AM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by harkerdude
I drove a 06' with e-gear and didn't like the transmission. It was jerky and couldn't find a way to drive it smooth. Is there a way to drive it smoother? I loved the sound.. oh the sound.. was amazing! haha. I wish I test drove a 6speed.
Yeah, there is a way to drive it smooth...and while I always have or have had 6speeds in my other cars, I f'n love the e-gear on this thing. The only fault i really have with it not being able to control my own launch, otherwise it's outstanding. (but does take a little getting used to)

Old 04-05-2010, 11:13 AM
glh
glh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud of
I have an '06 / 6 gear manual and pretty much drive it everyday it is not raining back and forth to the office. No problem at all, my guess is you need the nose raising thing or else you might cringe pretty often.

In Vermont however the comment above about "like going around in a spaceship" applies...

Last edited by glh; 04-05-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:50 AM
Chris D. is on a distinguished road
For the record, the eGear clutch on an 04 G and an 06 G are mechanically the same. The eGear software in most 04s can be upgraded to the same version as in an 06 car. Jerky eGear warrants a look at the wear on the clutch or it may mean the car's software needs upgraded. The main differences between the 04 and the 06 cars is the extra 25 HP and the nose lift system. Having owned two 04 Gallardos, the nose lift system strikes me as being more of a novelty item than anything else. The nose on a Gallardo is short and you just have to be careful about how you cross certain bumps or go up and down certain slopes (driveways). The only thing that I would add is that you should be careful about purchasing an 04 with a build number lower than 400 (as indicated by the last 4 digits of the VIN). If the car has been sorted out, it may be OK; however, I would proceed with caution.

Gallardos are fairly reliable and can be daily drivers; however, your normal maintainence items are going to be expensive, e.g., tires, brakes, oil changes, etc. A headlight going out could be a bulb or it could be a $1,000 job replacing an ignitor. If you have a short commute or money to **** away, this may not be an issue.

The clutch on my last 04 had a little over 20,000 miles on it when I sold the car. My current car has 8,000 miles on it and the clutch has 52% wear left on it. Having said that, I have heard of cars needing the clutch replaced at 8,000 miles or even less. It really depends on how and where you drive the car. If you drive it like an old lady (slowly engaging the clutch during slow take offs) and in a lot of stop and go traffic, you can go through one pretty quickly.

Good luck with your decision. I have owned and driven a lot of exotics, and the Gallardo is at the top of the food chain in my opinion unless you have $1 million to blow.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Boxer6Fan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa
i have seen some clutches last about 20k miles.
Is that with 6spd or e-gear? or both?If they differ what are the max for each that anyone knows about?

Old 04-06-2010, 01:23 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I used my Gallardo as a DD

for about 8 months and it worked fine. It is expensive to do as I only got 9000 miles out of my clutch and was replacing tires every 5000 miles. That being said, its plenty comfortable and a blast to drive if you don't mind the attention. I love the spaceship comment. It really does apply. I live in clearwater Fl, and there are 4 Lambo's in the area and it does not matter. People still gawk, but if you buy one of these cars I'm can only assume the attention won't stop you from driving it.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:57 PM
snowrider204 is on a distinguished road
Not a good daily driver. Used to have a 911. Much smoother. Easier to handle in parking lots. The gallardo has a big turning radius. It is jerky. The nose will scrape. Visibility sucks compared to a 911. But I love my gallardo. Super fast.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:00 PM
JJB
JJB is on a distinguished road
There is a 2004 DD Gallardo in Dallas...

...with over 90K miles. I would not believe it if I had not seen it myself. Crazy!

JJB

Old 04-07-2010, 01:07 PM
rmani will become famous soon enoughrmani will become famous soon enough
would't DD such a fine car myself, but I've seen people at work who drive their lambo's almost daily, rain or shine. the cars are pretty durable just not all that ergonomic to be getting in and out ofall the time. headroom and extra space is also limited.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Pipper6speed is an unknown quantity at this point
yes, completely.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is a Gallardo a daily driver?