Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

2011 Granturismo S vs 2006 Gallardo? Lambo maintance really $10,000/year?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Tuskir has a spectacular aura aboutTuskir has a spectacular aura about
2011 Granturismo S vs 2006 Gallardo? Lambo maintance really $10,000/year?

Hi guys, since both of these are around $115,000... I am deciding between these two cars as for a daily driver and would appreciate the input. Previous car was M6. I'm 5'9, so fit comfortably in both, that's not the issue. The main issue for me is maintenance costs and reliability. Gallardo is obviously cooler and faster, but will it put up with 12k+ a year? Apparently it needs a new clutch every 10-12k miles and that's a $7,000 job so maintenance is looking to be ~$10,000 annually if daily driven? Am I totally crazy for even considering daily driving a lambo? To me it makes no sense to buy a garage queen at all, so I need the thing put up with daily use and be reliable. Also, out-of-warranty gallardo might be a little risky, no? I'm sure lambo parts are crazy expensive. I'm leaning towards the granturismo S but the lambo is just so damn cool

Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Tuskir
Hi guys, since both of these are around $115,000... I am deciding between these two cars as for a daily driver and would appreciate the input. Previous car was M6. I'm 5'9, so fit comfortably in both, that's not the issue. The main issue for me is maintenance costs and reliability. Gallardo is obviously cooler and faster, but will it put up with 12k+ a year? Apparently it needs a new clutch every 10-12k miles and that's a $7,000 job so maintenance is looking to be ~$10,000 annually if daily driven? Am I totally crazy for even considering daily driving a lambo? To me it makes no sense to buy a garage queen at all, so I need the thing put up with daily use and be reliable. Also, out-of-warranty gallardo might be a little risky, no? I'm sure lambo parts are crazy expensive. I'm leaning towards the granturismo S but the lambo is just so damn cool
2009 Audi R8...You will thank me. Not as fast, all the style though and WAY more comfort...

Old 10-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Don't like the styling of the R8... so narrowed it down to Gallardo or Granturismo S.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 AM
AMG3.2 is on a distinguished road
Lamborghini all the way

Old 10-05-2011, 11:58 AM
MrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud of
The Lambo should not cost you that much to maintain. I drive mine a lot (every day lately) and it should not be that much.

You should pay around:

$250 oil change/5k miles
$1,500 tires/10-15k miles
$1,500 misc. major service items/25k miles (plugs, filters, etc.)
$3,000 brakes/30k miles
$6,000 clutch/throwout bearing/20-25k miles

You might end up needing an AC compressor, rear main seal, e-gear slip ring, etc. that can be issues with the cars but they are not terribly common. Keep the car full of oil (expect 1 liter to burn ever 1k miles).

The great thing about buying a used Gallardo right now is that the prices should not change much. The depreciation on the Maserati will be extremely high.

I vote the Gallardo 100%. You will love yourself for you.

Good luck with the search. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by MrEdS4
$6,000 clutch/throwout bearing/20-25k miles
I thought it was every 10k miles and more like 7-8 grand?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Pipper6speed is an unknown quantity at this point
The maintenance won't be that high, however, you can disregard that if you plan on buying a new Gran Turismo -- the GT will depreciate far more than $10K/year.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by wedouglas
The maintenance won't be that high, however, you can disregard that if you plan on buying a new Gran Turismo -- the GT will depreciate far more than $10K/year.
Didn't take depreciation into much of an account since they both depreciate $10k/year or more. The fact that you can buy an 06 gallardo for half the MSRP is alarming in itself. Dunno why people bash maserati's depreciation when any exotic car depreciated just as bad. Ferrari is probably the least depreciating exotic, but that's because people don't drive them. Put some miles on Ferrari and it will be the same.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 AM
MrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud of
I thought it was every 10k miles and more like 7-8 grand?
A clutch kit is about $3k in parts. The labor is usually a couple grand. The engine stays in for a Gallardo clutch change. The throwout bearing is another $3k or so and you will probably replace that every other clutch. I averaged about 12k miles per clutch on my rental Gallardo. You should get more than that under regular driving with stock wheels. If you do alll city driving you will use the clutch more quickly. There are a lot of write ups on proper e-gear usage. The tips you will find do help considerably.

Regarding the depreciation, they will not both depreciate linearly. The Gallardo has taken a hit since new but keep in mind it has been 5 years. They are holding their values well now. An 06 Maserati Gransport that was $100k new is now a $35k car or so.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Pipper6speed is an unknown quantity at this point
Didn't take depreciation into much of an account since they both depreciate $10k/year or more. The fact that you can buy an 06 gallardo for half the MSRP is alarming in itself. Dunno why people bash maserati's depreciation when any exotic car depreciated just as bad. Ferrari is probably the least depreciating exotic, but that's because people don't drive them. Put some miles on Ferrari and it will be the same.
That's assuming you buy the Gallardo new, which you aren't. The Gallardo is already very far down the depreciation curve. The Maserati will lose at least $20-30K in the first year. The Gallardo won't.

Check out this guy's Gran Turismo with 4500 miles.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...turismo-s.html

2010 MSRP: $142K
Asking today: $109K

Last edited by Pipper6speed; 10-08-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:27 PM
SiNzz is on a distinguished road
I have no first hand knowledge to verify this, but a member over on LP has claimed great performance/life out of the CNS kevlar clutch. Supposedly it's even better than the the latest sintered revision OEM clutches. Getting one of those could perhaps cut down on long term costs with regards to the clutch.

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/inde...howtopic=58050

Old 10-09-2011, 08:17 AM
AS2003 is on a distinguished road
All good points: How much cheaper will the eventual maint. be on the Granturismo?

Everyone's personal position will differ, but I think depreciation and the cost of maintaining the vehicle are exactly what you focus on if you're examining the overall value proposition.

What would be the comparative cost of keeping the Granturismo well maintained versus the costs already cited for the Lambo?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:30 PM
GETU1 will become famous soon enoughGETU1 will become famous soon enough
$10k in yrly maintenance!? Not a chance. Sounds like you were talking to one of those old school guys who say " Oh them damn exotics cost a guy an arm and a leg to maintain, stay away " When really, its completly false. Gallardo all the way.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:24 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GETU1
$10k in yrly maintenance!? Not a chance. Sounds like you were talking to one of those old school guys who say " Oh them damn exotics cost a guy an arm and a leg to maintain, stay away " When really, its completly false. Gallardo all the way.
x2. I had a local guy tell me he didn't want to work on my a/c (needed refrigerant) because Lambo A/C sucks anyway so I couldn't expect better performance. I took it to another shop and the car blows snowballs now. The previous mechanic had only ever worked on a Countach.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:12 PM
huy
huy will become famous soon enough
$10k/ year? maybe on a Ferrari... can't think of anything else that expensive to maintain though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Granturismo S vs 2006 Gallardo? Lambo maintance really $10,000/year?