Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

New Unlim500+ Traning Day (Oct 2012)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:52 AM
300 is a glorious beacon of light300 is a glorious beacon of light300 is a glorious beacon of light300 is a glorious beacon of light300 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Wow, I cannot imagine what that transmission set up would cost and how often rebuild is required. My buddies with 997 GT3 Cup Cars with Porsche sequential shift manual used to say everytime they changed transmission oil there was huge amounts of metal in oil - Doh !
That is true!

What you have to consider is that a racing transmission like the Porsche has a different kind of metalurgy than an OEM style transmission. The metal in the gears of the racing trans for those kinds of cars is a bit softer to take the shock loads of the road racing heel and toe downshifts and such. The straight cut gears are soft. The shape of the tooth engagement and the contact area combined with the relatively softer material make for a higher wear coefficient than an OEM Helical gear set. The GT3 cup cars have the race budget that can support rebuilding that would be a PITA in a street car with those kinds of gears.

I have no idea of the design of the Lambo transmissions, how they are laid out, the diameter or thickness of the gears to be able to comment as to the best way to make a box that can handle the load generated by the traction coefficient of the stickier tires needed now for the Lambos to be able to hook the power they are capable of making without breaking.

I hope Peter can shed some light on the questions I asked him above, because right now, I kind of feel like I am watching the presidential debates with one side presenting one point of view and the other side not really giving much details in terms of a response.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Red, Underground Racing has a full synchronized transmission with billet helix cut gears. They offer Helix and straight cut gears and I believe they are the only ones to offer a billet 1-6 synchronized gear set for the Gallardo. All factory Egear parts are intact as well and the 6 speed setup is the same as far as all shift components, linkage and etc.

Originally Posted by 300
How does the most fully built UR trans compare to the one described above?

Does it still have helical gears or does it have straight cut gears as well?

Is there any difference in how much TQ the two can handle?

Thanks!

Old 10-23-2012, 04:03 PM
AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !
The box they used is an Australian Hollinger built for a Murci GT1 class car. Seeing as how most of these are rebuilt after 24 hours of use, I can't imagine the lifespan being much more than a couple hours with the extra power and the abuse it's being put through. With this box being engineered with a specific wear rate I don't know if there is anything you could do to increase it's lifespan that wouldn't jeopardize it's integrity. Total race stated that the Hollinger was conservatively rated for 1,100NM, so they're pushing it already. Here's a link.

http://www.dragtimes.ru/forum/showth...00%CD%F0/page2

Old 10-24-2012, 09:50 AM
777vegasviper has a spectacular aura about777vegasviper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by AudiBull
The box they used is an Australian Hollinger built for a Murci GT1 class car. Seeing as how most of these are rebuilt after 24 hours of use, I can't imagine the lifespan being much more than a couple hours with the extra power and the abuse it's being put through. With this box being engineered with a specific wear rate I don't know if there is anything you could do to increase it's lifespan that wouldn't jeopardize it's integrity. Total race stated that the Hollinger was conservatively rated for 1,100NM, so they're pushing it already. Here's a link.

http://www.dragtimes.ru/forum/showth...00%CD%F0/page2
i ran a holinger box in my tt viper, probablyy 4k miles, 1,200 hp. street driving, some 1/4 passes (not launching hard) and mile passes. Gears looked nearly brand new when i took it out and sold it. Anecdotal yet still real world expereience

Old 10-24-2012, 10:19 AM
AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !
Good to know. Most of the rebuilds are done on a strictly preventative basis. Nice to hear from someone that has experience with one on the street. From what I heard the Hollinger gearbox went out on the Total Race at the Krasnodar event last month. This was the Russian drag championships, and only the 2nd event using the Hollinger. I would put the blame more on the abuse put on box(repeated AWD burnouts on a prepped track while running 4 slicks with 1700hp) than on the strength of the Hollinger. At that same event the AMS alpha 12 and a proto porsche 1200 also blew their gearbox. It was the first time any of them had been to a VHT prepped track.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !
Good to know. Most of the rebuilds are done on a strictly preventative basis. Nice to hear from someone that has experience with one on the street. From what I heard the Hollinger gearbox went out on the Total Race at the Krasnodar event last month. This was the Russian drag championships, and only the 2nd event using the Hollinger. I would put the blame more on the abuse put on box(repeated AWD burnouts on a prepped track while running 4 slicks with 1700hp) than on the strength of the Hollinger. At that same event the AMS alpha 12 and a proto porsche 1200 also blew their gearbox. It was the first time any of them had been to a VHT prepped track.
Russian learning curve

Old 10-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mullet
Russian learning curve
They may have overdone it with the VHT too...

The Car. It is stuck,No? We must pull harder. For mother russia!! Just jokes Kentusha, just jokes

In case some people didn't see, this is Total Race's winter project.

It's a Saleen S7 with a twin turbo 13L that's been sleaved to 10.2L. AWD conversion with a claimed 2,500AWHP goal. It's a Proline block that's rated to 4,000 hp. If their is any car that has the potential to reach Howler Monkey's prediction of a "street car" hitting 300 MPH in the standing mile this might be it. If it was me driving it on that russian track with trees on either side I'd probably be thinking about the Mulsanne Straight and those CLK-GTR's. It's definitely gonna take some big hairy russian *****... Doesn't seem to be a shortage of those over there luckily.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:57 PM
jomama will become famous soon enoughjomama will become famous soon enough
"dragtimes" - the irony...ha!