Lotus Evora, Elise, Exige, Esprit, Seven etc.

elise as a daily driver? anyone do it??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 09:38 AM
airbrush1 has a spectacular aura aboutairbrush1 has a spectacular aura about
elise as a daily driver? anyone do it??

As prices have fallen a bit on the used elise, I've considered one more seriously.... I've owned 2 miata's and consider them to be spacious enough to daily drive... What about an elise as a daily!?!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 AM
TiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond repute
i DD mine ~70% of the time
too much fun not to

Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
I was in your same position a couple of years ago. The consensus was that it can be done, even in winter, but as a true every-day, only-car scenario it's nearly impossible.

I bought an Exige S and used it as such. I was very willing, tolerant, flexible (both literally & physically).

Stick with a Miata for DD. Maybe an Evora but the Elise/ Exige platform is a terrible DD.

For those that say no prob, ask their definition of DD. Driving it to and from work 5 days a week 7 mos a year is not DD. Every day, every week, all year....? Been there, done that, got the t-shirt...Sucks.

The Elise/ Exige is a brilliant car at 8-10/10's. Everything beneath that must be endured to be enjoyed.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
jjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to behold
i daily drive my exige. bought a winter beater this year but missed the lotus. i can walk to work but typically drive a few days a week... so maybe not a commuter car in my case, but certainly my daily driver.
it can be done, but there are more comfortable cars out there.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjm4life
i daily drive my exige. bought a winter beater this year but missed the lotus. i can walk to work but typically drive a few days a week... so maybe not a commuter car in my case, but certainly my daily driver.
it can be done, but there are more comfortable cars out there.
I read the title and immediately though of you

(its cmr076 off TST)

Old 04-21-2011, 08:55 AM
jjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by david@fabspeed
I read the title and immediately though of you

(its cmr076 off TST)

driven daily. its filthy right now from the rain. borderline embarrassing.. who am i kidding, its embarrassing.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Global Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to behold
Depends on where you live. I know that in NY you don't want to drive an Elise on the LIE daily.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:39 PM
airbrush1 has a spectacular aura aboutairbrush1 has a spectacular aura about
I did go test an elise, and I ripped my pants getting into it.... I'm much to large for one, and if I were ever in an accident I feel I might not be able to escape the car in a timely fashion... Not for me unfortunately

Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 AM
RacingEngineV8 has much to be proud ofRacingEngineV8 has much to be proud ofRacingEngineV8 has much to be proud ofRacingEngineV8 has much to be proud ofRacingEngineV8 has much to be proud ofRacingEngineV8 has much to be proud ofRacingEngineV8 has much to be proud ofRacingEngineV8 has much to be proud ofRacingEngineV8 has much to be proud of
If I were in you I'd consider the Evora!

Old 07-15-2011, 12:36 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
I've also had one before...great fun car, but I wouldn't use it daily if I needed to haul stuff around or drive in the rain/snow.

Not to mention parking was more limiting since I was always worried about parking it if I had to parallel it on the street...didn't want the chance of someone bumping into me and cracking the clam!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Persian54 has much to be proud ofPersian54 has much to be proud ofPersian54 has much to be proud ofPersian54 has much to be proud ofPersian54 has much to be proud ofPersian54 has much to be proud ofPersian54 has much to be proud ofPersian54 has much to be proud of
Since it's a pain to DD a Lotus (esp for someone as big as me, 5'11 235lbs) I haven't gotten a lotus yet..

Old 07-20-2011, 09:06 AM
MPower12 is on a distinguished road
I guess it all depends on your location and how large you are.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Iman is on a distinguished road
I used to daily drive mine untill I turned it into a track car.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:14 AM
Wrxified has a spectacular aura aboutWrxified has a spectacular aura about
My only worry would be killing the value with the high miles. I'm driving a totally different type of car, 2011 mustang, and everyone tells me I'm crazy for driving it in the winter but I don't buy into the idea that it's any less capable. My car with a good set of snow tires is about the most fun I can have in January with my clothes on.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:49 PM
QueueCumber is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by airbrush1
As prices have fallen a bit on the used elise, I've considered one more seriously.... I've owned 2 miata's and consider them to be spacious enough to daily drive... What about an elise as a daily!?!
I had a 2005 Elise and a 2008 Exige S240. I definitely couldn't deal with them as daily drivers. I am 6' 200 lbs. It really is personal opinion though, as people's tolerances for cars can be very different. I found the stiff ride to be too much for me on the seats in those cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: elise as a daily driver? anyone do it??