Lotus Evora, Elise, Exige, Esprit, Seven etc.

Drove an 2012 Evora IPS and then 2011 Evora S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 AM
DarthC63 is on a distinguished road
Drove an 2012 Evora IPS and then 2011 Evora S

My local dealer had just received 3 2012 IPS Evora's so I went to do a few test drives. I love the look of the Evora, but had never driven it before. I am in the market for a new sports coupe, so it's a consideration. I decided to drive the 2012 IPS and then the 2011 Evora S, back to back.

2012 Evora IPS

Interior -
The 2012 Interior has been significantly refined over the 2011. The quality of the leather over the dash is different, the doors have a more "solid" feel, the new Pioneer Nav is a big improvement over the '11 Alpine unit, and it has a better overall feel.

IPS Transmission -
I know what you are thinking, an auto tranny on a Lotus is unspeakable...ney...unthinkable, but to be honest, it what a very good auto transmission. I drove it in the "sport" mode, which apparently holds the gears longer and shifts quicker. I first started off driving the car causally, nice easy shifts going through each gear was the result. I came to a stoplight, and decided to floor it. I must say that I was impressed to say the least. The IPS held each gear to redline, and it even chirped the tires in second gear. The shifts were quick through each gear, while not DCT quick, but quick enough for a slush-box. When using the paddle shifters, the the car felt responsive and intuitive. My conclusion is that Lotus did the job, and made a solid automatic transmission (or at least programed the sourced Toyota tranny) for the Evora. Is it as fast as a DCT, PDK, or Benz MCT? No, but it does allow people that don't want a car with three pedals to get into a Evora and have fun with it.

I then drove the 2011 Evora S, which is superchaged, and to be honest, the 2012 IPS felt just as "fast". I know their is a large HP variance, and boosted vs. NA, but taking off from a stop light in the IPS had a very similar sense of acceleration as the boosted Evora S. Again, I was impressed with the IPS tranny because of this.

Also, I was informed from the dealer that Lotus will not be making any Evora S IPS cars for the 2012 model year, they will be released as 2013 models. I am told that they will be ready to order within a few months, and should be delivered by the September/October time frame. Also, I am not 100% sure on this as that I saw on autoblog this week that Lotus is putting all new models on hold (Esprit, etc.) until they figure out their financial situation, so I do not know if that would effect the Evora S IPS or not.

So there you have it, IPS is solid choice for those looking for great Lotus car without the 6 speeds.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 AM
AlxSTi is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the review. Maybe I need to check one out myself, but I really doubt I could justify getting an automatic. Interesting the S felt so similar during the launch.. possibly because these cars are so light and rev so quickly anyway.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:01 AM
986_c6 is on a distinguished road
Good writeup Darth63, as it is surprising that you "felt" the same acceleration/exhilaration with IPS and S. Although I am done with automated shifting cars, I have to finally admit it is superior to the manual gearboxes at all performance levels.

That is why I have my radar on a manual S and a manual F360 if I can find one. These will be the last of the dying breed fellow car guys!!!!

Old 08-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Banned
sabrinadaisy is on a distinguished road
Nice thread Darth63.