Maserati Quattroporte, GranTurismo, Gran Sport, Coupe, MC12

WHAT THE HELL... being charged 20K in extra charges for a Maserati GTS Cab!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Question WHAT THE HELL... being charged 20K in extra charges for a Maserati GTS Cab!!!

I've got a question for you Maserati guys.

Put a deposit on a 2013 991 C4S Cab. (991) but the price tag is in the same range as a Maserati GTS.
So test drove it and wowwww the exhaust alone is worth buying it .
Of course 2 totally different cars but I'm really really considering it!

Did my build on the Maserati website and the total comes to 155K (for a cab).
Then the dealer tells me (oh I'm in Canada, kinda important to this predicament) there is a 6.1% import tax, 3.5K gas guzzler tax and a 4K transport cost (prep not included)...

If you include the prep that would be close to 20K in additional charges on top of the 155K for the car itself...
So a 155K car becomes 175K...and for that 20K I'm getting absolutely nothing!
Of course I then still have to pay the sales tax (about 15%)...

I've called Maserati North America but frankly the lady I spoke to didn't know the answer to any of the questions and she never got back to me (as promised).

Not confidence inspiring...
So do these numbers make any sense to you guys?

With Porsche there's no 6.1% import tax and no gas guzzler tax, plus I don't have to pay for prep and the transport is $1800 vs $4000 for Maser.
Any and all comments are welcome.
Cheers!

Sid.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:11 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
I've got a question for you Maserati guys.

Put a deposit on a 2013 991 C4S Cab. (991) but the price tag is in the same range as a Maserati GTS.
So test drove it and wowwww the exhaust alone is worth buying it .
Of course 2 totally different cars but I'm really really considering it!

Did my build on the Maserati website and the total comes to 155K (for a cab).
Then the dealer tells me (oh I'm in Canada, kinda important to this predicament) there is a 6.1% import tax, 3.5K gas guzzler tax and a 4K transport cost (prep not included)...

If you include the prep that would be close to 20K in additional charges on top of the 155K for the car itself...
So a 155K car becomes 175K...and for that 20K I'm getting absolutely nothing!
Of course I then still have to pay the sales tax (about 15%)...

I've called Maserati North America but frankly the lady I spoke to didn't know the answer to any of the questions and she never got back to me (as promised).

Not confidence inspiring...
So do these numbers make any sense to you guys?

With Porsche there's no 6.1% import tax and no gas guzzler tax, plus I don't have to pay for prep and the transport is $1800 vs $4000 for Maser.
Any and all comments are welcome.
Cheers!

Sid.
Why import from US? there is no Maserati in Canada?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tachyon
Why import from US? there is no Maserati in Canada?
That's the kicker.. I was told about these costs from the Canadian dealer I'd buy the car from, brand new and straight from factory at that...
Seemed strange, hence my call to Maserati North America but since they didn't know the answer and never got back to me I'm here hoping to shed some light on this .

Pretty quiet section though .
Anyway test driving both C2S & GT S again tomorrow but back to back this time.
As much as I'm attracted to the GT S (and that sound!!) not much support outside of dealer... right now I'm feeling there's a reason why I'm a long time Porsche client .

Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Tuskir has a spectacular aura aboutTuskir has a spectacular aura about
Or you can save like 70k and a buy a 2011 GTS.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Tuskir
Or you can save like 70k and a buy a 2011 GTS.
Yeeeez you trying to make it even more difficult for me
I started out with the Benz SLS, Aston DG9, 991 C4S or the Maser GT S.

Now it's down to 2... that's a hard enough decision!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:18 AM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
move to Italy (or Germany)

Old 04-05-2012, 07:06 AM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
or move to the usa!

Old 04-05-2012, 04:01 PM
zanwar will become famous soon enoughzanwar will become famous soon enough
I just went through a similar comparison and chose a 2012 GTS over a 991S. I have no regrets. The feel, sound and look of the car is so much more charismatic than the new Porsche. More fun at slower speeds around town than the 991 because of the noise and the great auto box with the big column mounted shifter paddles. It's a sports GT car rather than an out and out sports car but so what.. it's another toy to learn how to drive properly. To be honest I think the 991 actually has less road noise and a smoother ride so maybe that's the real GT car. The Mas attracts a lot of attention, that may be an upside or a downside for you.

As another poster mentioned, I would look for a pre-owned 2011 and save yourself a ton of cash.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:14 PM
986_c6 is on a distinguished road
Um, all those taxes would turn me off in a heartbeat, no matter what the car...or if $20k is just another trip to France to buy some champagne, then buy the darn thing.

If the SLS was on your list, that would be my first choice. You can have one now for $155k????? That is a pretty darn good deal!

Old 04-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Hey thanks for the posts fellas!

Ok so here's my 2 cents...
Drove the 991 back to back with the Maser GT-S.

+ points for the GT-S are...

-Amazing sound in sports mode!!!!
-Visually striking.
-Amazing quality interior (leather is unreal!).
-Real back seats!
-Lots of thumbs up and open mouths hehehe.
-Is amazing in town at lower speeds, put a smile on my face the entire time (I probably looked like an idiot hehehe).
-Oh and did I mention that AMAZING SOUND!

- points for the GT-S are...

-It's really big (and it feels really big!)... the 20" rims look tiny in those wheel wells.
-Interior space is smaller than the 991 (driver) because of the back seats.
-They put a "waffle iron" as a break paddle, I mean it's HUGE and sits low so ya can't stretch your leg out.
-Seating is "not right", you sit "on top" rather than "in" the seat (even my 2010 E class Benz feels sportier), it's just odd, kept thinking the seat could go lower... although I think they've fixed this for the 2013 model.
-As much as I loved the in town drive...I cannot see myself going for longer random "milk runs" with this nor 4 hour+ rides...
-The wife said that it felt under powered (usually she'll give me "that look" in the 911 hehe) but she's right, that 4.7 engine is underpowered (probably because of gear ratios).

Overall the Maser looks great, sounds even better but I was happy to get out of it after a few hours and stretch my legs... with the 991 I just wanted to keep going...

It was exciting and disappointing... and I knew this was a GT car so I had the right mindset to start with but it goes beyond the lack of oompf... like Zanwar said, the 991 is more comfortable for long rides (and I'm 6'4"+).
But when ya hit the 991 sport or sport+ button it's a monster.
You can't help saying wowwwww... never happened in the Maserati.
Only true wow is the exhaust note, but what a WOWWWW that is!

Having owned a F360, perhaps my expectations where preconditioned towards the GT-S.

In short it's a great car but it's not for me... so I'm going into wating mode for the 991 C4S Cab instead, now if only I could put that GT-S soundtrack on it!

Cheers!

Sid.

PS the Benz SLS looks awesome, sounds GREAT but that is REALLY tiny on the inside!

Old 04-15-2012, 07:02 AM
emma157 is on a distinguished road
sorry to hear about it.