Maserati Quattroporte, GranTurismo, Gran Sport, Coupe, MC12

Maserati GT or Aston Martin DB9/Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Buddie is on a distinguished road
Maserati GT or Aston Martin DB9/Vantage

Hello guys

I currently own an Audi A5 that im considering replacing with something better..

I like all these three cars about as much. The Maserati is a bit more beautiful on the outside and interior but an Aston is always an Aston. The DB9 would be 2004-2006, the Vantage 2006-2008 and the Maserati about the same.

What I'm afraid of with the Maserati is that I've heard the quality is about as worthless as Ferraris. I wonder if it's true from someone that actually have a clue about the quality and if the AM's are better or about the same. I am not filthy rich so I would prefer something that goes and goes without breaking down like a Porsche (the annual services you can't get away from of course).

I am 23, do you think either of these cars would not fit my age? The Vantage is probably the one who would be best suited for my age but the DB9 would go better with the Jaeger-LeCoultre

I will be cross posting this in the Aston Martin forum

Old 02-23-2013, 02:38 PM
NVR2OLD is on a distinguished road
I would visit www.maseratilife.com for some real feedback regarding them.

I've driven Aston may times and until this past Friday I had SL55 AMG but now I'm a happy owner of a 2012 Maserati Granturismo MC. For me the Aston's and Maser's are very different cars.

I would qualify the Aston's as more "sporty" and the Maserati as more GT. Its large, has a very usable back seat. For me, the engine/exhaust sound alone puts the Maser ahead.

But that's just me.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:31 PM
ali pontiac is on a distinguished road
Maserati granturismo and DB9 like Gt cars the vantage smaller lighter nimble, i prefer vantage.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Do you want more show or more go?
I will definitely get a 911 instead (probably 997 for your price range), but beware that you will be hooked.
Yes, my opinion is very biased.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 AM
niidawg3 has a spectacular aura aboutniidawg3 has a spectacular aura aboutniidawg3 has a spectacular aura about
Biased here too ... will go with an AM V8V post 08.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Island Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of light
I would have to Maserati but I am pretty biased. They have about the same body shape. I think the interior is way better in Maser. They are both GT cars but the vantage is smaller and has less room. My experience is the Maser can be a lot less to fix. Key is having a good independent around to service either car. I you go to the dealer you are going to pay. I full fluids change at the dealer $1800 and my Indy $900. Are you looking for and Auto or a manual stick? I would recommend the manual which I purchased. I hate paddle shifters sorry. I know the trakc rats will come out of the wood work on that one. Yes they do shift faster. If you enjoy letting the computer do everything for you go for it but they are much costlier to maintain. The clutchs in them don't last very long. I bought my GT coupe with 10K on her. Fluids change when I got her and had to replace a Cat that was going bad. Thats it. Been rock solid reliable and a great car. Very comfortable on long road trips and handles very well for the mass. Suspension is a bit soft but you get use to the balance very fast. I run with the traction control off all the time and it is the best drifting car I have ever owned. You can hang the *** out when ever you want and just hold it there when ever you want. Teh throttle is your friend. Pure pleasure to drive. All my buddies with Ferrari's and Lambo's all can't wait to get out of there cars after an hour. On the street she will run with any of them. You just have to be in the right gear when its go time. Then we come to the sound. Dude there is nothing sweeter than the Maser when she is on the pipe and screaming. Pure music for the sole. I have a bit into my exhaust system with a full Larini system including the silenced Cat delete. She is loud but god does it sound sweet. When ever I am at an exotic event I always have people tracking be down to talk about the sound. I stock Ferrari or Lambo sounds like a tractor or hoover in comparision. Guy with a 430 Scud last weeks quote "Dude you passed me and wow what a sound. We just turned off our radio and I silenced the
exhaust and rolled down to window just to hear your car. We were a mile behind you and we could hear ever crackle and pop. Best sounding car we have ever heard".

Here is a little sound bite we recorded out near Mt Saint Helens a couple of years ago. Enjoy.

And to the 911 recommendation. The cars are not even close. 911's are dime a dozen and not a true exotic in my book. They are what we drive to dinner when we know there is no great parking available. Not the same. 911 is a true sports car and not a GT. Great for the track and a DD.

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:11 AM
GCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond repute
I'm 22 and had a gts. I think thats more a young mans car than an AM. Id rather have it than either the v8 vantage or db9. Id go for a v12 vantage but thats about it.
Also no need to do an exhaust on the gts just ziptie open the valves on the muffler and its the same effect as a catback.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Island Maser
And to the 911 recommendation. The cars are not even close. 911's are dime a dozen and not a true exotic in my book. They are what we drive to dinner when we know there is no great parking available. Not the same. 911 is a true sports car and not a GT. Great for the track and a DD.
Your Maser sounds excellent indeed!

I agree that 911 is in a different catagory, not better or worse, depends on what the driver is looking for. For driving comfort and sound, a big Yes to Maser. On track, my RS can beat any road going Masers out there.

Having said that, the new 991 is too comfortable to my taste. It fits the GT category to me.

I am entertaining the thought of a Maser for my wife lately, that's why I'm browsing this site. From my brief research, it looks like the future Maser will have more parts sharing with Chrysler. Not sure how long this brand will stay exotic for.

I will stick with my Porsches all day long.

BTW, you see 911s everywhere not because they are cheap, but for their excellent performance, reliability and history as a true sport car. There sure are a lot of smart drivers out there.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:54 AM
Island Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of light
No I hear ya Tim. People ask me why I don't track the Maser. I don't what to see it get passed by my MINI. I have hot lapped it a few times. Black Flagged for sound after 2 laps at Thunder Hill, lol. Everyone said you could hear it over everything else on the track. Have a great pictures of her coming onto the front straight with the *** hung out in a drift. Not the fastest way around the track but looked and sound great right up until I was black flagged,lol. TH is strict on the Db's. See lots of funky exhausts there. Best was a 911 that could rotate it to face either side of the car. He looked where they had the mike set up on the the particular track and angled it the opposite direction when passing the monitoring station.