McLaren MP4-12C, SLR, F1, P1, P13

Is the Mclaren boring?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 0396
Well said, many of todays cars will kill you if you don't respect them. Good example was the 996 GT2. No PSM and for some folks this was their first Porsche. You can imagine how many have been crashed.
Enough to earn a nickname title?

Old 06-05-2013, 08:16 AM
lawman800 has a spectacular aura aboutlawman800 has a spectacular aura about
Same as the Viper or Corvette... a lot of power with no help to really reign it in once you lose it.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
It's funny awesome car, fast car and interesting to drive are not all the same thing. Most people worry about the first two, but its the last one that makes you grab the keys.

The one thing I find with 3 second cars is you never really get to rev and wring their necks on public streets.

At times they are like wishing premature ejaculation on yourself.

Everything is over before you begin.

I have driven the McLaren and it was not boring.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Yep, I had tons more fun in the 190bhp Lotus Elise because I can literally floor it everywhere I went and it would not get me in much trouble. I can control it and it was just simply fun. Sure, getting in and out sucked but the driving experience was just that much more direct and engaging since you don't have to worry about dying everytime you stepped on it.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by black penguin
The one thing I find with 3 second cars is you never really get to rev and wring their necks on public streets.
I thoroughly disagree. And have 5 years of supporting evidence to back up my position...

Originally Posted by lawman800
Yep, I had tons more fun in the 190bhp Lotus Elise because I can literally floor it everywhere I went and it would not get me in much trouble. I can control it and it was just simply fun. Sure, getting in and out sucked but the driving experience was just that much more direct and engaging since you don't have to worry about dying everytime you stepped on it.
Flooring a 190HP car, and a 600HP car are completely different experiences. If I had the choice, I'd rather floor the 600HP version. Can you control the 600HP car? Depends on how capable the platform is.

When I drive the other family cars, I floor all of them, almost all of the time, simply because I wish to drive in a manner that those cars cannot provide... Doesn't mean it is fun (for me). Fun is different for everyone.

I can control a Prius, when being floored, without getting into too much trouble either... (usually for a good 10 minutes, before getting up to 35mph). Doesn't mean the Prius is the best sports car for the average driver on public streets. Just means it could fit your criteria.

(Not trying to compare an Elise to a MP4-12C, or a Prius)

Honestly, the more I here/see this McLaren, the more I desire one. It looks like almost everything I want in a car.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:49 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Really?

I have a V12 Vantage and I love it, but on public roads its hard to floor it through the gears without hitting felony speeds. Same problem in the R8V10.
Most of these cars are past highway speeds in second gear.

I preferred the V12 to the R8 even though it was slower because I felt more involved. And that was largely due to the R8 being so talented that it was it is so composed at legal speeds.

Love the torque though

Old 06-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I thoroughly disagree. And have 5 years of supporting evidence to back up my position...

Flooring a 190HP car, and a 600HP car are completely different experiences. If I had the choice, I'd rather floor the 600HP version. Can you control the 600HP car? Depends on how capable the platform is.

When I drive the other family cars, I floor all of them, almost all of the time, simply because I wish to drive in a manner that those cars cannot provide... Doesn't mean it is fun (for me). Fun is different for everyone.

I can control a Prius, when being floored, without getting into too much trouble either... (usually for a good 10 minutes, before getting up to 35mph). Doesn't mean the Prius is the best sports car for the average driver on public streets. Just means it could fit your criteria.

(Not trying to compare an Elise to a MP4-12C, or a Prius)

Honestly, the more I here/see this McLaren, the more I desire one. It looks like almost everything I want in a car.
You floor your 600bhp car on public streets? How often do you do that? How long do you floor it before you call it off? How many points do you have on your license? Just curious because unless you live in a very rural or desolate place, it's not going to be easy to play with a high powered car.

The reason why the Elise is so fun is due to a combination of factors from its responsiveness and handling along with the controllable powerband that is not exactly that slow at being a 4.9 second car which used to be something only top super cars aspired to back in the day.

Besides, not all high powered cars are the same. Some cars are so heavy and loaded with electronic aids that flooring it gives a very different experience than a car with similar power but nothing else.

Really?

I have a V12 Vantage and I love it, but on public roads its hard to floor it through the gears without hitting felony speeds. Same problem in the R8V10.
Most of these cars are past highway speeds in second gear.

I preferred the V12 to the R8 even though it was slower because I felt more involved. And that was largely due to the R8 being so talented that it was it is so composed at legal speeds.

Love the torque though
Heck, most of these cars, if not all, will easily exceed highway speeds in first gear... depending on which state it is.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
I have a Porsche Turbo S. It is certainly not boring - still makes me smile every time I drive it.

However, I agree with much of what has been said. You cannot utilize full boost for more than a couple seconds without getting to 'impound the car' speeds. In the US, you can only use a small fraction of the cars potential. It can be frustrating.

Even on a track (road course), the limits of the car are so high, it's hard to approach them.

In many ways, my Cayman R is more fun to drive.

An MP4-12C is on my bucket list. It should combine the handling of the Cayman with almost the speed of the Turbo.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:25 AM
I think we can all agree, involving cars, with communicative chassis and colourful engines are the real magic.

If your car has those things, I'm sure its NEVER boring!!!

The only thing I would add is a body that is beautiful and complex enough to reward you while washing it. It's amazing how the worlds fasted cars can be so rewarding while standing still

Old 06-07-2013, 03:03 PM
boostfiend is on a distinguished road
Not a boring car at all but if you are looking for a little power after purchase it really isn't the easiest car too mod. My buddy has one with modded exhaust and the ECU doesn't seem too like it and cuts power in a bunch of places probably just needs to be re-calibrated but still.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:35 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I loved the MP4 and have actually considered selling my GT2 for one of the coupes previously. I think I can get bored with any car, some just might take longer. It also helps when I own a few different cars so that they stay interesting longer. The problem is they always come out with something that is better, and what you have no longer feels as special. If I was rich enough to have a stable of 10+ cars than I would be keeping many of them instead of trading them in.
Another sick though that always enters my mind is, "yes I love my car, but I know how it feels, but I have not really experienced that car yet"
This is a very costly sickness.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:01 PM
I think we can all agree, involving cars, with communicative chassis and colourful engines are the real magic.

If your car has those things, I'm sure its NEVER boring!!!

The only thing I would add is a body that is beautiful and complex enough to reward you while washing it. It's amazing how the worlds fasted cars can be so rewarding while standing still
It doesn't have to even be fast as long as you enjoy it in some way.

I always had the top off on my Lotus Elise and I would find myself in the garage staring at it or sitting in it to relax. I don't find myself doing that in the Noble as much. I still love looking at it, but I don't sit in it the same way I would with the Elise. Didn't do that with the Boxster or any other car either. Sometimes you just connect with a certain car in a different way.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:22 PM
You floor your 600bhp car on public streets? How often do you do that? How long do you floor it before you call it off? How many points do you have on your license? Just curious because unless you live in a very rural or desolate place, it's not going to be easy to play with a high powered car.

The reason why the Elise is so fun is due to a combination of factors from its responsiveness and handling along with the controllable powerband that is not exactly that slow at being a 4.9 second car which used to be something only top super cars aspired to back in the day.

Besides, not all high powered cars are the same. Some cars are so heavy and loaded with electronic aids that flooring it gives a very different experience than a car with similar power but nothing else.

Heck, most of these cars, if not all, will easily exceed highway speeds in first gear... depending on which state it is.
lol! Yes, I do. Often. Daily, in fact. Multiple times a day. Every time I drive it. That is a joy of having a controllable car. I don't launch at every light, but I often go into higher RPM's at will. There is a lot of fun to be had normal speeds. Just about everything you do an auto-x, can be done on the streets.

I haven't had a ticket since the 90's. I don't speed excessively on public roads, and I've never contemplated street racing.

For everyone that has driven on a road course knows what I mean.

For example - there are free flowing right turns on streets with a 45mph speed limit. So if traffic goes 10 over, you can enter the corner at 55mph, while maintaining that speed all the way through. If you brake at all for entry, nothing is stopping you from apexing, then flooring it on exit, until you reach a normal cruising speed.

The only difference from driving on a track and taking an average street corner is - on the road course, you stay flat out until the next corner, on the street just exit, resume normal speed, lather, rinse, repeat.

Everybody has their thing.

I echo the part about high HP cars with little control. The average driver would not be able to drive like that, without ending up in a spectacular youtube video.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:51 AM
I know exactly what you are talking about... and with cars like ours... getting up to the legal speed limit takes no time at all and still barely wakes the car up.

I assume you have a GTR with all the electronic doodads so you have a lot of protection in every aspect from making a spectacular YouTube video.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:32 AM
I know exactly what you are talking about... and with cars like ours... getting up to the legal speed limit takes no time at all and still barely wakes the car up.

I assume you have a GTR with all the electronic doodads so you have a lot of protection in every aspect from making a spectacular YouTube video.
lol! Yeah... GT-R. I think I'm now going to officially refer to those 'doodads' as 'youtube protection'.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the Mclaren boring?