McLaren MP4-12C, SLR, F1, P1, P13

Is the Mclaren boring?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Biglife will become famous soon enoughBiglife will become famous soon enough
Is the Mclaren boring?

I used to DD a 2011 M3. At first it seemed lighting fast, but then the novelty wore off a bit and I found myself wanting more. This past weekend I was fortunate enough to get a ride in a Mclaren Spider and it blew my mind. Either the people who claim this car isn't fun and lively have a screw loose or I do. Talk about an AMAZING machine. I'm in love.

Anyways, my question is this: does the "speed novelty" of a car this fast ever wear off? [this can be answered by other 3 second car owners too ]

Last edited by Biglife; 05-20-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 AM
lawman800 has a spectacular aura aboutlawman800 has a spectacular aura about
Boring? No. But you do get used to seeing it everyday in the garage. You also get tired of taking it out all the time because these cars are not the easiest to drive. Then everytime you step on the gas on the freeway, you get reminded that these cars will kill you if you don't respect it. But yeah, the novelty of owning one and seeing one all the time does wear off over time.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:04 PM
See thats my fear - I wouldn't want to drive a 3 second car and then find myself wanting more... and then find myself dead heh

Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Biglife
See thats my fear - I wouldn't want to drive a 3 second car and then find myself wanting more... and then find myself dead heh
Then, perhaps, look at a sub-3sec car that is easily controllable..., for the everyday drive.

If you get bored of going 0-60 in two and half seconds, then I recommend buying a rocket ship (with T-tops).

Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Biglife
The other side of this is that your friends all get spoiled too and the car becomes boring and invisible to them as well, even though by all means, it drops jaws everywhere else it goes.

It's like being married to a supermodel or something like that, familiarity with something, no matter how exotic to the rest of the world, becomes boring as milquetoast. Look at Tommy Lee and Hugh Grant if you don't believe me.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:49 PM
rayman89 will become famous soon enough
Save it for weekends, have a normal run around like a lexus and the Macca for weekends

Old 05-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by rayman89
Save it for weekends, have a normal run around like a lexus and the Macca for weekends
It's funny but I have always had a daily or beater car and a weekend car. I usually end up having more fun in the cheap car because it is low stress.

I actually get a kick out of flogging a cheap car and see how much I can get out of it. My friends with exotics feel the same way. It's kind of sick, really, but you laugh like a kid when you just drive like you don't care... Because you really don't care.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 PM
aggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud of
"Save it for weekends, have a normal run around like a lexus and the Macca for weekends"

My weekend car is a TT Cabriolet.
Weekday is 160 hp Rav4.

That has solved any issue with me getting used to the TT

Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Uh, NO. I find myself looking for a better DD because of he limited time I have in my 12C. I have had AMG's, TT's many other Porsches and 2 Astons including a V12V. This is the least boring car that I have owned. This car gives you so much it's amazing. You can be at speeds you can't imagine in other cars with total control and confidence. Even at medium speeds in hairy situations the car is a blast. The fact that there really is no where to go after this car is actually a relief. For those of us with "Next Step" car disease, this car answers the question. I will never experience the limits of this cars ability because of my own skill level. I would venture to say that most who have driven this car would agree.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by jaymoney
Uh, NO. I find myself looking for a better DD because of he limited time I have in my 12C. I have had AMG's, TT's many other Porsches and 2 Astons including a V12V. This is the least boring car that I have owned. This car gives you so much it's amazing. You can be at speeds you can't imagine in other cars with total control and confidence. Even at medium speeds in hairy situations the car is a blast. The fact that there really is no where to go after this car is actually a relief. For those of us with "Next Step" car disease, this car answers the question. I will never experience the limits of this cars ability because of my own skill level. I would venture to say that most who have driven this car would agree.
There will always be a "next" car. Maybe it's not out yet, but it will be there, just as people have always said there is no more "next" after their current supercar... just as you have said it before your McLaren... that's how life goes.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Jaymoney how many miles have you put on your beautiful spider? And how many did you put on your coupe before that? I might be wrong but I think I recall you having a coupe...

Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 AM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
I have just a bit under 1K. My car was delivered in December and I have winter tires on it right now. I am waiting on some Pilot SS and new rims due at the end of the month. My car previous to the spider was a V12 Vantage.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:07 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lawman800
There will always be a "next" car. Maybe it's not out yet, but it will be there, just as people have always said there is no more "next" after their current supercar... just as you have said it before your McLaren... that's how life goes.
lol! +1.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:57 PM
What is this "winter" tire you speak of?

Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 AM
0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lawman800
Boring? No. But you do get used to seeing it everyday in the garage. You also get tired of taking it out all the time because these cars are not the easiest to drive. Then every time you step on the gas on the freeway, you get reminded that these cars will kill you if you don't respect it. But yeah, the novelty of owning one and seeing one all the time does wear off over time.
Well said, many of todays cars will kill you if you don't respect them. Good example was the 996 GT2. No PSM and for some folks this was their first Porsche. You can imagine how many have been crashed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the Mclaren boring?