McLaren MP4-12C, SLR, F1, P1, P13

675LT vs 2006 Ford GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 01:01 PM
African Hunter will become famous soon enough
675LT vs 2006 Ford GT

I am in the market for an exotic in the sub 400k range. Driven the 488(aggressive canyons drive), Huracan Performante(racetrack day at thetmal), 675LT, 720s (both in newport on semi open commercial roads), and ford gt(light canyon run). The GT2RS is also a possibility but haven’t driven. A friend is getting his next month so should get a chance but frankly the way Porsche is handling their GT car allocations and VIP program is a big turn off.

It’s now basically down to the 06 FGT and the 675LT coupe. Price is essentially the same but the driving experience is so different car to car I am having trouble deciding which will make me giggle like a school girl more.

If I didn’t care about depreciation I would buy a new 720s (that car quite literally reset my expectations on how good a supercar can be) but think that is a 1-3 year from now purchase and likely the lt variant.

Car will be driven aggressively, probably see 2-5 trackdays a year (just for fun, i don’t really care about timeslips vs other cars) and I generally put 2500 miles per year on cars like this.

I prefer manual three pedal cars so the FGT wins there obviously but the LT is super special and open to the paddles. Prefer a more visceral/analog experience which you would think the fgt would be the winner but the LT in track mode is pretty visceral and the tech wasn’t overwhelming car feel. I like the mclaren brand and unless dealer was lying to me, just being involved in the mclaren community is what it takes to get allocated the special variants. Im likely financially in Senna/hypercar territory in 5-10 years so this is a factor.

Any feedback, wisdom, thoughts, etc appreciated.

Josh

Old 07-08-2018, 12:05 PM
LuckyLuciano can only hope to improve
YMMV but honestly - neither are going to be good track cars unless you're a professional. The FGT will be way more "fun" to drive on the street with a lot more giggles. The LT will feel numb and boring but exceptionally smooth on the street. It will be the track weapon as the hydraulics and active aero make it shine only on the track at track speeds. Really a 570 is going to give you more smiles on the street(my opinion it is a much better street car for having fun at slow or fast speeds) but not even compare to the LT on the track against the active aero and hydraulic suspension dark magic.

Really at the end of the day, street cars make bad track cars and track cars make bad street cars. You're so much better off getting a nice radical for 50K and using the rest for an awesome street car. Also, my cars are not investment grade so again YMMV but a FGT is such an appreciating asset that I personally would have a hard time tracking of putting substantial miles.

^ just my opinions.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:30 PM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
Spot-on, LuckyLuciano !

Old 07-08-2018, 10:12 PM
Thanks. I know the 675 will really shine on track but I bet it’s good for some canyon fun no?

The FGT almost certainly has more upside potential. I’m looking at a 900 mile example that is priced well (comparable 6k mile example only 20k less). I figure I can still put 2-3k a year on it and be fine.

I tend to like high strung exotics. The FGT is more GT than holy hell what am I driving! Definitely the better road car and manual plus no traction control would be super fun.

I’m not trying to buy a track car. I just want a fun car. The fgt was slightly underwhelming on straight line speed and the torque comes so low that there is little drama. Also 6500rpm redline is kinda disappointing. Im used to 7500-8500 and engines that come alive in second half of rev band. No doubt it is gorgeous and wins on looks.

I am going to have issues not modifying it with at least a pulley and exhaust/tune.

The 675 has the turning radius of a school bus and steering weight meant for track. I like the drama though.

First world problems. I will make a decision next few days

Old 07-08-2018, 10:14 PM
And I was considering the 600lt. I think I can get an allocation for late this year or early next year but I don’t want to wait. Maybe I deposit one and see where the allocation falls.

It won me over with the top mount exhaust and Senna Seats

Old 07-09-2018, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by African Hunter
Thanks. I know the 675 will really shine on track but I bet it’s good for some canyon fun no?

The FGT almost certainly has more upside potential. I’m looking at a 900 mile example that is priced well (comparable 6k mile example only 20k less). I figure I can still put 2-3k a year on it and be fine.

I tend to like high strung exotics. The FGT is more GT than holy hell what am I driving! Definitely the better road car and manual plus no traction control would be super fun.

I’m not trying to buy a track car. I just want a fun car. The fgt was slightly underwhelming on straight line speed and the torque comes so low that there is little drama. Also 6500rpm redline is kinda disappointing. Im used to 7500-8500 and engines that come alive in second half of rev band. No doubt it is gorgeous and wins on looks.

I am going to have issues not modifying it with at least a pulley and exhaust/tune.

The 675 has the turning radius of a school bus and steering weight meant for track. I like the drama though.

The 675LT is not really fun to drive at all on the street. A base 991.1 C2S will be far more fun and a fraction of the cost. McLaren has 3 levels for 3 reason....

1. HyperCard for billionaires and magazine propaganda

2. Supercars that are all about lap times. These cars will have AMAZING lap times because of essence and black magic stolen from the dark Crystal. This includes 2 things that differentiate it. A.) Active Aero. This is fine for a street car but simply won't matter on any public road - especially a canyon. It's irrelevant for anything other that professional level racing and bragging rights on the internet. B.) the lack of sway bars and the unicorn tear hydraulic suspension. Again, keeps the car perfectly flat on a track.... good for F1, bad for even experienced weekend racers. Take the Miata for example.... they get crap for body roll. BUT, this is why they are so fun. Also Porsche has all their gadgetry to keep the car flat(I'm a huge 911 guy). Sounds great but a non pro driver needs this sensation to know when the car is at it's limits. Anyone that's not at that level may kill themselves. This hydraulic system also completely numbs the car and makes it just shy of lifeless and kills any sensation on the road. Also, $$$ to maintain. Hell of a car - just know what you're buying and what the car is made for.

3. Sport Series.... So basically take the same monocock chassis but BETTER from the 675 and add conventional suspension with minor accounting compromises everywhere else. Also remember that in McLaren the "cheap" car is a version of a company known for 500K and 1Mil cars. Not like other brands with a halo car that shares a parts bin with 30K cars. This traditional suspension is better for the street and actually faster on the street because you can actually feel what you're doing. You can feel the road, the limits, the braking, the inertia and everything that the hydraulic system in the 675 intentionally mutes.

In summary the 675 is like having sex with a condom and the 570 is how babies are made.

Also, please go drive them - you'll know exactly what I mean right away. Also, I know there is some "image" aspect... get the model delete and no lay person will ever know the difference. For the money I saved you, get a track prepped spec miata or a radical and still have 100K to play with.

With regards to the FGT - AMAZING car and piece of history. It probably will gain value but it's still a bad investment - worse if you actually drive a low mileage example. Here's why - The premium you pay for a low mileage example will rapidly diminish with each mile. Then account for maintenance at 10K mile increments.... probably 25K on that car. Then impute what you would conservatively gain in the stock market with the same money you spent on the FGT depending on cash or leveraged. Depending on a finance rate.... it may actually be better to put a minimal down and finance the rest assuming you can outperform. Lots of variables and a good discussion to have with your accountant.

My advice: 570S + Radical (and save 100-150K) is the right combo based on what you keep typing. The FGT is so amazing that if you love it then get it but recognize it's a really poor investment if you want something to actually drive at all. Go rent a radical just once and you will never again care about tracking a street car of any kind.

Again - the above is just my opinion. Certainly take with a grain of salt. Most of us online are readily available to spend money that's not ours

Old 07-09-2018, 08:46 AM

Also - have you looked at 911 GT3? It's almost cliche' but it sounds exactly what you are describing your wants to be. Sounds like you have the wallet for a GT3RS but either one is great and it's almost hard to lose money on those.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by LuckyLuciano
Also - have you looked at 911 GT3? It's almost cliche' but it sounds exactly what you are describing your wants to be. Sounds like you have the wallet for a GT3RS but either one is great and it's almost hard to lose money on those.
i have a GT4 right now. Its an amazing drivers car but too soul-less german Engineering and I am disappointed with Porsches decisions on the GT cars allocation process so taking my business elsewhere. I got offered a gt3 and new gt4 but if I am buying a porsche it would only be the Gt2rs but frankly I am disillusioned with the brand and probably wouldn’t buy one if they call me tomorrow with an allocation.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:43 PM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
It is settled then...2005/06 Ford GT !
One of the most beautiful cars. Gotta love it's Analog, inexpensive to maintain, you will never get bored driving it. Check out the review/video from Salomondrin...

Old 07-15-2018, 12:59 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
675LT is great on the street... I mean phenomenal

I had a 650S (UK on **** roads) and now 675LT vert (WA on great roads)...... both are very nice to drive in boring street (comfort mode) and are beasts on the track

FOR RESALE value get the Ford GT.... too many 675LT around in a market where Macca keeps getting better and devaluing their past makes.

I had a nice tuned RWD 2005 TTS which I loved, 6MT and awesome fun....... if you prefer 3 pedals then the decision is easy

Here downunder where cars can cost more than a house there are many 675LT for sale and with the 600LT out and people waiting on the 720 LT variation I cannot see 675LT prices going anywhere but sub $250k in USA

YMMV

Last edited by wolfhedge; 07-15-2018 at 01:12 AM. Reason: yootoooooobbbb
Old 07-15-2018, 01:07 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
BTW 991 GT3 is a slug in comparsion to the Macca

Old 08-04-2018, 11:39 PM
I ended up choosing the 720. Processing transaction monday =)

Old 08-05-2018, 11:27 PM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
I own both - 4.0 Whipple '05 FGT and 675 Spider

Completely different driving experiences: FGT is an analog hammer. Loud, raw, wide, faster than it feels due to very tall gearing, stable, great handling (Ohlins), timeless. Love the manual.

The 675 is a spaceship comparatively. Incredibly fast for a stock car, almost unequaled turn in and handling capacity, (Spider) provides amazing engagement/sounds. Get's more attention than even the FGT. Dynamically, the best car I've ever driven. Not to dismiss another's opinion, but anyone who doesn't think the LT is a blast to drive on a twisty back road hasn't driven a 675lt on a twisty back road. I don't believe I'm alone in that perception.

FWIW, and not to rain on your pending purchase, but quite a few folks on the ML forum have abandoned 720 purchases for the 675. Those decisions pivot around engagement. You'll be faster than any other non-modded car (sans the Trinity) in the 720 for a while, but if speed is your #1 goal, there are much cheaper ways to be much faster than a 720. YMMV.

I've driven 11K miles in the FGT in 5 years and 4K in the LT.. I love them both for very different reasons, and while the McLaren offers three different driving modes (top up, top down, and top up with rear window down), if I had to have only one, it would be the FGT. It's an icon.

Last edited by HIRISC; 08-05-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:04 AM
I like that GT color above.

I have done 12,400 km in my 675 in a few months. I drive about 330km (one way) every week down south and thrash it around the back roads to an isolated beach... like my own racetrack

Old 08-09-2018, 12:06 AM
I ended up choosing the 720. Processing transaction monday =)

Good D,, any way you went would have been good. A few of us at mclarenlife went the other way..... I think some think the 720S is a little less engaging, but it sure is quicker than a 675

Good luck !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 675LT vs 2006 Ford GT