Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

S65 / Resonator Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:25 AM
cybersam69 will become famous soon enoughcybersam69 will become famous soon enough
S65 / Resonator Removal

Anyone Done This? Thoughts? Cost? Audio/Video Clips?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
cyber, I have no mufflers at all on my 65, and albeit we have different chassis, I can tell you without regret that it is the best mod you can do for a 65. It is NOT too loud, and to be quite honest if you are asking this question to begin with it is because you feel your 600hp TT V12 should sing a little more, and removing all mufflers is the ticket. I know it sounds like it would get crazy loud, but it really does not. It is "just right". The car is a little louder at startup but cruising on the highway and idling after she warms up is almost like stock. The real improvement is under throttle when the engine really gets to sing. -m

Old 03-16-2010, 06:52 AM
cybersam69 will become famous soon enoughcybersam69 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
cyber, I have no mufflers at all on my 65, and albeit we have different chassis, I can tell you without regret that it is the best mod you can do for a 65. It is NOT too loud, and to be quite honest if you are asking this question to begin with it is because you feel your 600hp TT V12 should sing a little more, and removing all mufflers is the ticket. I know it sounds like it would get crazy loud, but it really does not. It is "just right". The car is a little louder at startup but cruising on the highway and idling after she warms up is almost like stock. The real improvement is under throttle when the engine really gets to sing. -m
I'm thinking it might be safer for me to start with just the resonaters and see how I like it. I'm concerned about failing inspection, or causing CEL, or altering performance, etc.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Cybersam check out this video from when we installed a set of custom straight pipes with resonators and T304 stainless steel dual-style tips. We also upgraded the ECU with a performance tune from EVOMSit. No C.E.L. when removing the mufflers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDKr9xU4LLU

If you have any questions or need more information regarding performance products for your S65, please don't hesitate to P.M. or email Joey@fabspeed.com.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Seen this video on YouTube already. Probably not interested based on the fact that package was thousands I am sure. Removing my resonators can't be that expensive.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cybersam69
Seen this video on YouTube already. Probably not interested based on the fact that package was thousands I am sure. Removing my resonators can't be that expensive.
This was a custom fabrication for a great friend. We normally don't do exhaust upgrades for Mercedes Benz's, but a rough estimate for the exhaust only was $1,696. The ECU Upgrade is $3,495 and picks up 66HP/110 ft-lbs of torque.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Based on your video and the information you so generously provided, you will likely START doing more MB exhaust upgrades!

Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cybersam69
I'm thinking it might be safer for me to start with just the resonaters and see how I like it. I'm concerned about failing inspection, or causing CEL, or altering performance, etc.
I think you will waste your time/money just taking off the resonators. I cannot speak to "inspections" - but removing mufflers simply cannot throw a CEL, and as for altering performance... removing restriction would only improve performance, but the truth is the factory AMG mufflers are not that restrictive. I've been in the modding game for a long time... this upgrade was a no-brainer. -m

Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 AM
bartdude is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
I think you will waste your time/money just taking off the resonators. I cannot speak to "inspections" - but removing mufflers simply cannot throw a CEL, and as for altering performance... removing restriction would only improve performance, but the truth is the factory AMG mufflers are not that restrictive. I've been in the modding game for a long time... this upgrade was a no-brainer. -m

+1
Muffler delete is the ultimate mod for the 65.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Nice is on a distinguished road
So it sounds like no one has removed the resonator on a 65? I think I had this done on my 63. That had was easy one and it sounded just a little better but well worth it.