Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

S65 Conquers The Dyno!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:44 AM
cybersam69 will become famous soon enoughcybersam69 will become famous soon enough
S65 Conquers The Dyno!

So there were some interesting challenges to overcome with this. Some expected, others not so expected.

DYNO Mode is tricky to get into, even when you know how to do it. Even though I had practiced this, and I knew how to do it. It still took me 45 minutes to get the car into that setting. I suspect now I am quite good at it, and if there is ever a need to put it into that setting again, it'll be easier.

3rd gear pulls didn't work for a couple reasons. First of all, you have to remember we're driving and automatic, and the car wants to shift. Even when you set it to SPORT, and put it in MANUAL mode and use the paddle shift, it still wants to shift on you when it thinks you’ve past the threshold of a gear on one side or another. So when you’re in 3rd, and you floor it, it has the tendency to want to kick down to 2nd. This is no good, because it spins the tires in 2nd gear, even on the dyno! Basically, you need to find the speed at which you can ease the car up to in 3rd, that it’ll be safe to floor it, without it kicking down into 2nd. That speed is like 40-50mph maybe, which then makes 3rd gear too short to be worthwhile for a dyno pull. If you’re wondering why short dyno pulls aren’t as favorable as long ones, it’s basically because it takes time (even though minor) to spool the turbos, and once spooled, the trick is to keep them spun up as hard as possible as long as possible to get the most boost into the engine.

So this means 4th gear is the choice dyno gear right? Well, not so fast. First of all, it does the same thing when you floor it, and only it kicks down to 3rd instead of 2nd this time from a rolling start. So you need to find a new speed at which you can casually work up to and then floor it, where it won’t kick down to 3rd. This speed was around 70mph as I recall.

Now that we’ve learned some important stuff and used a full pulls and achieved worthless figures, we were ready to go all out in 4th. But wait, there’s a new problem this time! 4th gear is so long, that the car hits the top speed limited (150 mph range) and cuts you off and the dyno horsepower and torque curves ARE STILL GOING UP! According to the tech at ESP, the curves were still going up at the moment the limiter kicked in. This was eye-popping news! That means that at 150+mph, the car was still building and increasing the power output!

The tech basically told me that I needed to have it delimited, and then he could find out what the car was truly capable of putting down for figures, and he could only give me figures of what it was making before it cut him off.

522 HP
608 Ft-lb’s. Torque

Keep in mind, these numbers are at the wheels, and aside from removal of the mufflers and some window tint, the car is stock.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz_aWl42zPk

Old 04-20-2010, 09:57 AM
SpeedLimit? has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedLimit? has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedLimit? has a spectacular aura about
thx for sharing, can't wait to see de-limited #'s. I think it a proven fact that the S65 is a bully in a suit! lol...

Old 04-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Nice is on a distinguished road
I too would love to see delimited #'s. I had a cls63 030 and find it ironic that I took that car to 175 and cant take my cl65 past 155.