Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

S65 long-term reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
S65 long-term reliability

Hey guys,

So my buddy went to NY for a few days and left me his '06 S65 to drive around while he's gone. I have to say, it's quite an impressive car! It doesn't feel nearly as heavy as it actually is and it's quite quick. Also, I'm used to my GT2's bare bones interior so the interior amenities on this thing are awesome.

Anyway, he plans on selling it soon so I'm thinking it might be a good fit for me. But, I'm worried about the long-term reliability as it's longer under warranty.

Do the S65's have any major problems that I would have to worry about? This particular car has 41k miles, but is in immaculate condition and looks/drives like new. How many miles are they typically reliable for?

In your opinion, would it be better to get a newer C63 or E63 under warranty rather than this car for approximately the same price? The power of this car is what I like the most and I'd probably want to get a Renntech airbox and ECU if I did purchase it.

I already did get some great info from a very knowledgeable MB member here on the forum but I'm looking to see what the overall consensus is.

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
ABC and air suspension, soft close door are usually the parts that breaks down the most imo.... these cars usually have small electrical bugs....

engine wise, im not too sure... never had a 65.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:50 PM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
S65

I've heard the same as what was mentioned. Check out www.mbworld.org . They should have the inside scoop.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
Scott,
engine and drivetrain are literally bulletproof, there are however other electrical issues and suspension issues that can be a real kick in the ***** if you dont have a warranty, I suggest getting an aftermarket warranty with any Benz V12...Maybe a super fast Cl600 is more your speed

Old 08-08-2010, 08:53 PM
quattrogeek is on a distinguished road
v12 twin turbo is boss....seriously thinking of getting one myself. Friend has one with the renntech ecu upgrade and airbox and it is silly fast on the freeway. M, Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche, Vette, Viper etc...doesn't matter..its got sooo much top end it'll chase down anything you throw at it. Not sure on the electrical gremlin end cause he hasn't any issues, but the engine is pretty trouble free, from what he says. After driving one, i'm pretty convinced there isn't a better 4 dr big saloon out there.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Location: Waltham, MA/Southport,CT/Vero Beach, FL/Grosse Pointe, MI
steve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to all
Stick with the S-class instead of the C63 or E63. Not only is the S more powerful, but it's a hell of a lot nicer than both of them!

Old 08-09-2010, 05:51 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by steve0827
Stick with the S-class instead of the C63 or E63. Not only is the S more powerful, but it's a hell of a lot nicer than both of them!
its also in the shop a lot more then the C63 or even E63.

I've got a 02 SL and 02 CL, both of these cars has less then 40k mile and I've already have both car's air suspension completely replaced due to leak, and it wasn't cheap... cost me close to 25k USD for both cars.

then there are stupid minor electrical problems due to age, windows not operating, headlight works, but shows warning saying that it doesn't, CEL light comes on for no reason.

but mechanically on the drive train, both cars has been bulletproof.

I would not recommend getting one without a warranty. also, resale value on these cars aren't great at all. my frd actually manage to picked up a 07 S65 in WA for 70k US last year!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 AM
V8HAHA is on a distinguished road
Air ride suspension will go in about 5 years. It's inevitable and cost roughly 1k per strut. Electrical problems like everyone says is also a pain in the butt. They charge by the hour to track it down and by the time you're done, the labor is 10 times the price of the part. If you can stomach spending a grand here or two there for repairs, the car is definitely worth it. These things retailed over 180k new back in 06.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Scott,

I forgot to mention this hen we talked the other day, but there are still some very good deals to be had on C63's.

The trunk money is down to $5K, but if you find the right dealer you can still get 10K off.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Old 08-12-2010, 06:44 AM
My personal philosophy is to avoid any Mercedes built during the years they were involved with Chrysler (2000-2006).

You will love the C63, Scott and it is much more sporty than the larger cars.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:09 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Scott already has the ultimate sports car. To avoid making the same mistakes that Sean seem to make, buying cars that have a limited purpose. I personally would purchase the much nicer larger Benz rather than the wife model. Sean will try to convince you into buying any thing that he purchases to justify his purchase.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Paulie,

I got $15.5K off on my E350, and 11K off on my C 63. Since you know absolutely nothing about Mercedes, stop Trolling and go back to 996 land.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:32 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
I don't think I could ever get a C63. I just don't like anything about them at all. I don't even like the name.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Thanks for the info, guys.

Actually, the one I'm looking at actually had the entire air-ride suspension replaced last year under warranty. Owner was out of the country for 6 months, came home and saw that the car had sunk a couple of inches. He 'assumed' the suspension was bad, and the dealer stepped-up and replaced everything with the newest, superceded parts. He ended up finding out later that it had just leaked air over time from sitting so darn long.

The motor and tranny are more what I'm concerned about. I plan on flashing it if I get it so a warranty wouldn't be honored anyway. I keep hearing they are bulletproof, which is exactly what I want to hear. The car is a absolute beast, a joy to drive, and it compliments my GT2 and truck quite well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S65 long-term reliability