Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Out with the Old, In with the New

Old 09-27-2010, 06:53 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Out with the Old, In with the New

07 to 10

Performance pack........ 39 miles..........

Old 09-27-2010, 08:21 PM
DorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the roughDorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the roughDorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the rough
What were your initial driving impressions? What do you love about your new E63 compared to your old one?

Old 09-28-2010, 06:42 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Initial Driving Impressions:

#1: Steering Feel.... Whatever has been done, it is much better, lighter, faster. It really removes the largess, lumbering sensation that accompanies the previous E63; it feels like a much smaller vehicle. Now it is nowhere near as tactile as my 911, but certainly better, without play-station-like feel. Somewhere in the middle but nice.

#2: Vehicle weight. I believe it is a lighter overall vehicle. If I'm wrong it certainly carries its weight well.

#3: The engine feels more aggressive. I'm sure I cannot feel the extra 10 hp but it's personality certainly exudes it.

#4: The exhaust note is louder. I like it.

#5: The overall demeanor is consistent with what many people have said; something where the previous generation was "49% performance/ 51% luxury" and this generation flips that (as was Mercedes' intention starting with the C63). I would go so far as saying the equation with this generation is more like 40-60 luxury/ performance.

#6: Speaking of "luxury" and the interior; I'm a bit ambivalent. The previous Gen E63 (and E55 for that matter) has a beautiful flowing elegance to it. Surfaces are great to touch and everything was very harmonious. This IMO is largely absent in the new generation. Not that it feels cheap, it's just edgier on the inside as well as outside. I'm still getting used to the dash console plastics. They are nice, soft-touch, but are definitely a step down from my old 08 ML63 with a leather-covered dash. I'm not sure if Mercedes saves those interiors now for its high-high-end lines (CL, SLS....) but previous Mercedes AMG owners could get the slight sense of a quality letdown.

#7: Speaking of the interior, the controls are very nice. It's multi-touch (iDrive) is not terribly difficult to get acquainted with but it does make one wonder if the multi-control ***** were to remove the numerous buttons, why are numerous buttons creeping back into vehicles? The fit and finish of the '10 E63 is superb, intuitive, much more germanic-logical and seems like multiple generations of separation from the previous E, not one. Probably one of the nicest features are the four driver-centric console buttons specific to the AMG: Transmission Personality, Trax Control, Suspension Personality, and the fun button, I mean AMG button.

#8: Transmission. From early impressions, Manual mode is much faster than the previous E63 and seems so much more responsive. I don't get that "wait for it" feeling that I'm used to with the '07.

So, still doing a painfully reasonable break-in as it had 39 miles when I picked it up, but it's persona is definitely more aggressive, which is what attracted me to replacing my '07 in the first place. I can only imagine what it will be like when it hits puberty and I can drive it like it was meant to me.

Last edited by KK Moto; 09-30-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:15 AM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Looks good, congrats.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats, I have a carbon diffuser and trunk lid in stock ready to ship if your interested.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:59 PM
DorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the roughDorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the roughDorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the write up. I almost bought an 07 two months ago and had to back out of the sale. I love AMG's.

Congratulations again and let us know how it turns out.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
beautiful car

Old 09-29-2010, 08:03 PM
WIEisME is on a distinguished road
beautiful car, enjoy her in good health!

Old 09-30-2010, 03:17 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Welcome to the W212 AMG family and enjoy her in good health.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:34 PM
GBG
GBG is a jewel in the roughGBG is a jewel in the roughGBG is a jewel in the rough
KK-- I have the '07 and agree with your excellent write up-- the '07 car leans heavily toward luxury as opposed to raw performance. That said, I still haven't warmed up to the "bloated, chunkier" look of the W212 E63. The W211 seems more stream line, leaner, and with better lines, in my somewhat biased view. Maybe I just need to look at the 2010 a bit longer. Anyway, beatiful car, enjoy it!! Post another driving write up after break-in period! GBG

Old 09-30-2010, 05:13 PM
max3099 is on a distinguished road
Very nice upgrade. And thank you for the write up. I have been thinking about trading my '07 in also and this just pushed me to go test drive the new model.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by GBG
I still haven't warmed up to the "bloated, chunkier" look of the W212 E63. The W211 seems more stream line, leaner, and with better lines, in my somewhat biased view.
I definitely agree. I washed the '10 for the first time and in doing a walk-around; it just seems like a larger car: hood/ grill particularly. Not sure if it was redesigned for EU pedestrian-crash, but it looks bigger, but as I said in the post, it drives much more nimble and lighter.....

Got it clear-bra'd and 20% tint today.

Breaking in........slow

Last edited by KK Moto; 09-30-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:20 AM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
congrats!!! thanks for the write up it was real interesting to read it from a personal stand point...enjoy the car man

Old 10-01-2010, 03:27 PM
rominl is on a distinguished road
wow, very nice trade up! not sure if i like the new look, but driving both, i also agree the new one is louder and meaner. can you comment on the handling? you mentioned it feels lighter, does it take corners better as well compared to the prev one?

Old 10-01-2010, 11:06 PM
solekeeper is on a distinguished road
I like the 07 better, nonetheless, both are beutiful and fast. So win/win.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.