Two Porsches, Guns and a Dog

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Fraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really nice
Two Porsches, Guns and a Dog

Some of you heard some of this story at the iMA gathering, so I figured I'd post up some shots.

I've been in the Manassas area for about 3 years now, moved from Idaho.

Originally I was supposed to come out for 18months for work, but when they laid off a couple thousand people, I figured it would be in my best interest to stick around.

Since my original move was temporary, most of my stuff, including the 928 and 914, was in storage back in Idaho. When I decided to stay, I needed to get them out here. Since the 914 was a non-running and the 928 sprung some coolant leaks while in storage, I figured I'd have to transport them both myself.

My father and I flew out to Idaho. I rented a 24ft u-haul and a car trailer. The 928 fit great on the trailer, and the plan was to put the 914 in the truck. Mind you, while it is a roller, there's no engine, transmission or functioning brakes. After some brainstorming, this is what we came up with.

They really don't design the interior of those trucks for tying down cars. We put some ramps at the back, and braced the front against the intruding wheel wells. Every gas stop we'd go check and make sure nothing moved. We figured that getting it back out would be a problem we'd tackle at a later date.

My father and I packed up the truck with the remaining - an 80lb mutt named Baxter and some "unshippable" cargo.

The truck and trailer would do 80mph downhill. We must have spent $1500 on fuel, doing this trip when the fuel prices were at their 100year peak. Most stops were uneventful, but the last night in Ohio was interesting. Early on, we started staying a Motel6's because they would give my father the Senior Discount. We'd just drive until we got tired (~13h a day), find a Motel6, sleep and head out.

This motel six, right off rt80, ended up being rather interesting. There was a cop stationed there 24x7, and the "front desk" was behind 4" of bulletproof plastic. It had gotten dark so we didn't fancy stumbling around in this neighborhood looking for a more suitable location, so we stuck with it.

We got a first floor room an moved the rig around so we could see it from the window. We've got a bright red 928 on a trailer hooked up to a uhaul. An inviting target. Sorry, no pics!

This is where the other part of our cargo became useful. The other cargo was my gun collection. We unloaded the guns from the truck, then loaded them up in the room. Baxter spent the whole night staring out the window. I don't think we slept much and we left the place super fast the next morning and slogged it all the way to Bristow.

When we got here, it was time to figure out how to get the 914 out of the truck without a forklift. We ended up using the car trailer. WE spun it around and put the ramps up into the truck, then slowly rolled the 914 out and onto the trailer, then moved the truck, and moved the 914 to the ground.

I thought I had some shots of that much I can't seem to find 'em.

Anyways, I'm glad to be here and I'm looking forward to driving my 928 this spring!

Old 02-28-2010, 06:14 PM
TMAC will become famous soon enough
That sounds like a fun trip!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 06:57 PM
akw_toronto is a name known to allakw_toronto is a name known to allakw_toronto is a name known to allakw_toronto is a name known to allakw_toronto is a name known to allakw_toronto is a name known to all
I would have liked to been there for when you took the 914 out of the trailer.

Sounds like it was quite an experience!

Adam

Old 03-01-2010, 05:40 AM
mihernan is a splendid one to beholdmihernan is a splendid one to beholdmihernan is a splendid one to beholdmihernan is a splendid one to beholdmihernan is a splendid one to beholdmihernan is a splendid one to beholdmihernan is a splendid one to beholdmihernan is a splendid one to behold
HAHA, the pictures with the forklift were better than I had imagined. Job well done!

Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
THAT IS AWESOME!!! Keep those Guns in close reach cuz you never know when the Ghetto side of NBV lurks over to the NICER SIDE.....hahahahahaha ;-P

GREAT TO MEET YOU AND YOUR DAD!!!

Berk

Old 03-01-2010, 11:13 AM
987Box is on a distinguished road
hahah thats greatI
love the forklift pictures