Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

Cold Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 10:45 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Cold Air Intakes

THere are many different CAI's on the market and talking to Randy at Webb Motorsports http://www.mini-motorsport.com/ he said the Alta produces the highest HP increase. Does anyone have experience with this?

Old 09-10-2003, 07:46 PM
tontobird is on a distinguished road
Is the Alta the same as the Rogue? I have a Rogue intake in MINI-2, but that came with all the mods, so I don't know what difference it made on it's own.

In doing research through another board's threads I came across a chart that showed the Rogue as having horsepower gains higher than most if not all of the others on the chart. So much so, that it's my choice for MINI-1, when I start on some mods.

Wish I could find that chart....

Old 09-10-2003, 08:07 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
TB,
Do you have a link to the site with the Rogue CAI?

Old 09-10-2003, 08:11 PM
I'm looking for that chart, and found photos of the Alta and Rogue. The Rogue is the same as the Madness intake. The housing for the Alta and Rogue is very similar, if not the same. The main difference that I could see is that the Alta has a foam filter and the Rogue has paper.

The way the whine of the supercharger comes through is fabulous!

Old 09-10-2003, 08:28 PM
Couldn't find the chart, will look some other time.

Here are photos of each:

just testing, not quite sure I know how to do this

Old 09-10-2003, 08:36 PM
Rogue:

Old 09-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Looks like it's a question of which medium you prefer for the filter.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:39 PM
KPV
Great pics! Thanks TB. Randy seems to think the Alta is the way to go. I would really like to see that article though.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Ask Randy about the difference, can't be that great.

I've read some to be in favor of the foam, and some who've had issues with the foam.

I'd sure like to know what Randy says with regards to the difference, as it'll affect my decision.

Pros and cons of foam vs. paper.

Old 09-10-2003, 09:45 PM
It's not an article, it's a chart. There are links from the chart to sound clips, videos and such.

http://www.mcshp.org/data.html

Old 09-10-2003, 09:49 PM
KPV
That is awesome!!! What an incredible resource! Thanks TB. Why don't you post some of your pics on the 1st thread?

Old 09-10-2003, 09:59 PM
Maybe I'll take some tomorrow. Just gave MINI-2 a good bath.

MINI-1 needs some bodywork. Got rear-ended by a Porsche Boxter S the week before Labor Day. Labor Day weekend, Fri and Sat blew 2 tires on both MINIs on the same pothole.

See this thread: http://www.minicooperonline.com/modu...topic=15520&13

Got MINI-2 driveable by changing around some wheels. Don't want to do anything to the damaged goods until I can figure out who will reimburse me.

So, MINI-1 sits with the blown-out tire right front, a racing slick left rear, and the imprint of Mr. Boxter's license plate on his rear bumper.

Waiting for the go-ahead from Mr. Boxter's insurance company on the bodywork. Waiting for my new V-spokes so I can drive the darn thing.

Let's see, how many sets of wheels do I have? Too many!!

Old 09-11-2003, 08:41 AM
MacNCheese is on a distinguished road
The Alta replaces the plastic firewall piece, allowing air into your intake from the fresh air vents under the windshield. You also get a replacement silicon intake tube. It will also make your wallet much lighter than the Rogue.

I wouldnt believe everything I read on www.mcshp.org!

--
Cheese

Old 09-11-2003, 09:05 AM
RandyBMC is on a distinguished road
I agree with cheese, the MCSHP is, um, inaccurate at the moment because many of the numbers there are manufacturers.

The Alta is a larger element than the Madness/Rogue. The airbox itself encloses the ECU and forms a real box, whereas the Madness uses the wall of the ECU to form the other side of the box - which is still effective. The biggest difference, as cheese mentioned, is that the Alta removes and replaces the rear partition opening the area behind the filter up to allow higher pressure, colder air to the intake from the cowl area.

As far as price goes, the Alta is available with the blue, red or black silicone hose for $259. You can also purchase it without the hose, as pictured above, for $199. The Madness is $239 and does not come with any sort of replacement hose.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Randy
720-841-1002

Old 09-15-2003, 08:34 AM
KPV
So, with the Alta CAI, the swiss cheese modification to the airbox that Randy posted a while back on another forum is not needed since the box get's replaced with Alta's unit?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes