Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

Mini Cooper S or WRX STi?? for a winter beater?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 03:08 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Mini Cooper S or WRX STi?? for a winter beater?

I am trying to decide between a Mini Cooper S or a Subie WRX Sti for a winter beater. Any thoughts??

Also, what options are a must have on the Cooper S. I am thinking about the JCW package.

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2003, 07:02 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Buy the MINI hands down. Do not buy the JCW kit because you can have better performance with aftermarket for 1/2 the price. Call me and I will walk you through everything you need to do.

Old 10-19-2003, 11:17 PM
tontobird is on a distinguished road
You are, after all, posting your question in the MINI Cooper section, so I'm partial to the MINI!!

Must haves? The multi-function steering wheel is a must have! Xenon and foglights are very important to me, probably most people would appreciate them. For winter you may want the cold weather package. I like the auto-dimming rear view mirror. Everything else is a question of taste or need for your own personal situation and driving style.

Good luck!

Old 10-20-2003, 06:36 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
He bagged. He is going to buy an Sti. Oh well, we tried.

Old 10-20-2003, 06:40 PM
I'm not terribly surprised. He does call himself a "Horsepower Junkie".

Old 10-20-2003, 08:08 PM
KPV
I met Buddy during a recent Porsche meet and we played around a bit on the highway. I guess I am not surprised either since the Sti has the power advantage.

Old 10-21-2003, 10:00 PM
After experiencing your "flying" MINI, what did your other friend decide upon?

Old 10-22-2003, 06:39 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
For not much money I can get an ECU upgrade, exhaust and intake and be pretty close to 400 hp. I guess there are many STi's with just exhaust and intake running 12.5 in the quarter!! What a fun winter beater!

Old 10-25-2003, 09:23 AM
KPV
Originally posted by tontobird
After experiencing your "flying" MINI, what did your other friend decide upon?
Flying? Huh?

Old 10-25-2003, 01:58 PM
Yes, flying as in "all four wheels off the ground" flying.

Old 11-02-2003, 10:59 PM
KPV
What the heck are you talking about "All four wheels off the ground"? I recently got all four wheels off the ground on this back road over here. It is so cool not hearing road noise for what seems like several seconds and then baboom!!! THis car is such a blast!! It is the most fun out of all the cars I have owned. Too bad Buddy won't experience it.
I would venture to say the MINI has a slightly better build quality compared to the STI. When I get in and the door makes that fabulous sound when it shuts, I feel like I am in a mini BMW. That is exactly what this thing is. It doesn't feel plasticky or cheap inside, just well thought out and well constructed.

Old 11-02-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by KPV
What the heck are you talking about "All four wheels off the ground"? I recently got all four wheels off the ground on this back road over here. It is so cool not hearing road noise for what seems like several seconds and then baboom!!! THis car is such a blast!! It is the most fun out of all the cars I have owned. Too bad Buddy won't experience it.
I would venture to say the MINI has a slightly better build quality compared to the STI. When I get in and the door makes that fabulous sound when it shuts, I feel like I am in a mini BMW. That is exactly what this thing is. It doesn't feel plasticky or cheap inside, just well thought out and well constructed.
I do believe that that was the circumstance to which I was referring....when you took your friend for a drive and got all four wheels off of the ground, hence, your "flying" MINI.

Yeah, Buddy's missing out!

Old 11-03-2003, 06:32 AM
Hey anytime you Mini as in Mini horsepower want to line up and go bring it on!!

SEE YA SLOW POKES!!

Old 11-03-2003, 06:47 AM
maxiter is on a distinguished road
Went to Morristown (heheheh, heard all about you, KPV! ) and took a Mini S for a test drive. I liked Minis from the start, liked them more after seeing them on the track, but am fully converted after driving one.

Gotta say, that if it were time for me to replace my current daily driver, I'd get the Mini S. It's got a such an incredible feel and great fun-factor about it. Although, that pseudo-brushed aluminum look interior I'll pass on.

Can't wait for the wife to get hers!

Old 11-03-2003, 07:48 AM
KPV
Mark,
That is great! When does it arrive?

Buddy,
I know, the STI will beat the pants off the MINI in a straight line but I really couldn't say what would happen on some twisties.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mini Cooper S or WRX STi?? for a winter beater?