Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

My first post: Nissan GT-R or Aston Martin V8 Vantage

Old 03-07-2010, 07:01 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
both great cars... both very different cars. AM is the beauty... the GTR is brawn. Some other cars to consider would be an 08+ M6, great combination of performance and luxury. Gallardo is going to run you more than either in regards to maintenance...

Old 03-07-2010, 10:26 PM
SunDevilFan is on a distinguished road
Mike, congrats on your upcoming completion of school!

I'm currently looking at GT-R's as well. Still trying to obtain first hand experience with one, but on paper and while looking at it in person, the car impresses me.

I now have to razz ya a little thou. Your comment "Dodge Viper (too ugly interior / uncontrollable)" is absolutely hillarious. The interior of a Gen III/IV Viper may not win any awards for it's quality of materials, but the layout is very user friendly (other than the mile high shifter) and looks very fitting for a high performance car. The "uncontrollable" comment made me laugh out loud. It's not the car that's uncontrollable, it's the driver. The Viper is not for everyone and should only be driven by experienced and/or trained drivers when driven at even 5/10ths. I had to say my peace because these comments are made all over the internet when most who make them simply pass on rumors made by others.

I'll get off my soap box now, and hope you find the car that fits you best. You've accomplished an incredible goal in finishing law school and I wish you all the success in the future! Lastly, check out some of the other cars mentioned by other members here. The members of this forum have a wealth of knowledge, experience and advise to share.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
Old 03-08-2010, 04:49 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
'07 or '08 CLK AMG 63 Black Series

Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2010, 11:51 AM
SunDevilFan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by amerlemans
'07 or '08 CLK AMG 63 Black Series

Big +1 on the BS! What an incredible car.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:23 PM
KICKINIT can only hope to improve
My buddy has a Lambo Gallardo. I think it's an 06-he loves it and puts on 5,000 plus miles per year. He had a GTR last year and he said the 2 best days were the day he bought it and sold it.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:51 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by KICKINIT
My buddy has a Lambo Gallardo. I think it's an 06-he loves it and puts on 5,000 plus miles per year. He had a GTR last year and he said the 2 best days were the day he bought it and sold it.
Any more details?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Sir_Chris is on a distinguished road
What about the Audi R8, I never really liked the car but I saw one on the floor of a local used car lot, seems more roomy than the 911 and Vantage...their resell values are very high the one at the dealer was 94k for a 08, barking mad...

Old 03-09-2010, 09:36 AM
NVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to behold
Fun thread to follow. I am going thru the same decision process with GT-R, although my "competing" cars are different. GT-R is at the top of my budget, so Z06, 997, are the competing cars for me. Lots of info on here. Thanks! +1 for the Merc Black Series. But aren't they quite more expensive?

Last edited by NVRENUF; 03-09-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:58 AM
widebody350 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swchopper
Fun thread to follow. I am going thru the same decision process with GT-R, although my "competing" cars are different. GT-R is at the top of my budget, so Z06, 997, are the competing cars for me. Lots of info on here. Thanks! +1 for the Merc Black Series. But aren't they quite more expensive?
Just a quick ebay/google search. Same price range for the most part. A local guy has one that I've seen a few times and it is an amazing car.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Tru...c0.m282&_rdc=1

http://autos.aol.com/used-list/make1...G+Black+Series

Last edited by widebody350; 03-09-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:31 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Well, as I mentioned I'm less concerned about sticker price than I am about "losing money" to depreciation, repairs/maintanence, expensive warranties, ect. I guess you could say I'm trying to maintain my net worth above all else, especially with the low opportunity cost I place on the cash right now.

BMW M6: I've been watching Top Gear from S1E1 to finish (seen most the clips before, but now I have the full episodes and am watching everything). The M6 clip made me check out M6 prices, and WOW have they depreciated. $110k+ new, now you can get one with 30k miles, under warranty, for low $40's. That is dirt cheap for that car with 500 HP in M mode. The only think I dislike about the car is the trunk, they need to shave that thing down. Otherwise, the back sotra reminds me of a Porsche Carerra GT. I do like the (VERY hard to find color combo of black with red interior and the carbon fiber): http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/bmw...w&distance=any (this one sold today actually, not sure how much).

Yesterday, I saw a local silver M6 and it while I'd certainly take it over my G35, I parked right next to it and it didn't convince me it was worth the upgrade. The V10 engine didn't even sound that great. I know it is fast, and probably sounds better at higher revs (redline of 8500 RPM!!), so I'll try to give it a second chance and take one for a test drive sometime. The $45k sticker price is really low for a V10, and I like the red interior color option. Still, I'm not convinced its enough of an upgrade.

Aston Martin: My dream car remains the Aston Martin, but I sat in it the Vantage the other day and while the headroom is fine, the steering wheel is in my knees. Given this, there is no way I could drive a manual, which all of thier 06 Vantages are, so I'd need a 07 in Auto which jacks the price to $85k+ and are extremely rare. Even still, the steering wheel is not comfortable at all and not something I"m sure I could deal with after spending that much money. However, I did have them start it up and rev it. Hands down, absolutely the best sounding car I've ever heard in person. Perfect exhaust note (then again I haven't heard a V12 AM yet). Basically I want every car I'm looking at to sound like the AM and this would be a lot easier. I'd then just get the GTR with the AM exhaust note.

DB9 - My last hope for fitting in an AM is the DB9 it looks like, with its longer body and seat more over the rear wheel. But, this isn't going to happen this year. Sub 20k mile DB9's are still $85k-$100k on average and this is certainly not a DD car and too expensive to maintain.

Vanquish - I know the gearbox sucks, and this car has quirks, and as far as I know you cannot warranty a 03 Vanquish, but it still is georgeous with a AM V12 and perfect exhaust blast, and they can be bought as low as $65-$70k. This is not a DD car, but it's bigger than the Vantage and maybe I can fit. Still, the interior is a little dated on the Vanquish, at least compared to the newer AMs, and $70k is still an aweful lot. http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/ast...n&distance=any I emailed Liberty Ford about that one, and they asked if I wanted to schedule a test drive today...I almost said sure, I'll be there in 11 hours (I'm in Ohio). No local Vanquish's for me to look at, unfortunately.

Jauar XKR - so this is obviously the Vantage's kid brother car, but I sat in it yesterday and I fit perfectly, despite not fitting in the Vantage (dammit again!). The Jag is a longer car and thus has more leg room. This was just the XK (not R type, I couldn't find a local XKR), but the exhaust note was still the second best I've heard. Basically like a much toned down Vantage...but I don't want toned down. I want the Vantage machine gun scream. I'm hoping to find and drive a XKR, as maybe the supercharger will have a more aggressive exhaust sound. Furthermore, the XKR can be had in the mid 50k's with low miles. Anyone know about the extended warranty and maintainance/repairs with the new XKR (2007 and on)? It has to be much less than a Vantage, but still they are mostly the same car.

GTR - Saw the Black GTR today at a Nissan Dealership again. Still really do like this car, and other than the weak sound (compared to AM), my biggest problem with a $65k used GTR is that I can get the same car in 12 months for $55k given that the GTR is still so new into its depreciation curve. Still, the GTR is at the very top of the competitior list, ranking everything from price, look, sound, performance, pedigree, common person appreciation, ect.

Audi R8 - one parked outside my apartment yesterday. Wonderfully understated elegant monster. But, they are too expensive (85k-100k used) and I'm not really sure I'm looking for an understated look, or if I'd fit in one.

Keep my car (04 G35 Coupe): Today was the first warm day Columbus has had, and the G35 still looked great with 18'' sparkling rims, spoiler, and great exhaust note from a V6. As I cruised past 115MPH, and listen to the engine and exhaust, I keep trying to convince myself to just be satisfied and stop looking to upgrade. By the way, I don't care for the G37 as much b/c despite the more powerful engine and 330HP, it doesn't feel as sporty, more like a lexus engine, to much luxury and not enough sport; nor do I like the body style as much. I still think the G35 coupe is the absolute best "budget luxury/performance coupe," but of course I'm also biased.

Last edited by MikeR397; 03-09-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:03 PM
This is the same car I have, except mine is black/black, not white (and I don't have a giant dent in my rear bumper ). Doughnuts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXyZMFw6D7o

G35 0-60 run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-0CfL-tnPc

I do need new tires soon, so maybe I'll try this this summer too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc_hvtz4Vbo

Last edited by MikeR397; 03-09-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:21 PM
hockey21 will become famous soon enough
jeeze.

911 turbo, audi R8 or m6 ( 06 with 100k mile warranty for 50k!) GTR, Carrera S

Old 03-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Epik151 has a spectacular aura aboutEpik151 has a spectacular aura about
GTR sounds like the better choice for you. Squeezing yourself into the Aston every day is going to be a ***** and a half.

Jaguar is not comparable in my eyes. Never as good as the Aston/Maser.

I would strongly consider the Granturismo S. Beautiful car, great exhaust note.

Another car to consider is the Audi R8.

Good luck.

Nissan GTR
Performance *****
Practicality/Comfort *****
Reliability *****
Interior ****
Exterior ****
Envy ****

Vantage
Performance ***
Practicality/Comfort **
Reliability ***
Interior *****
Exterior *****
Envy ****

Granturismo S
Performance ***
Practicality/Comfort ****
Reliability ***
Interior ****
Exterior *****
Envy ****

Audi R8
Performance ****
Practicality/Comfort ***
Reliability *****
Interior *****
Exterior *****
Envy *****

Last edited by Epik151; 03-10-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:33 PM
jd1966 is on a distinguished road
BMW M3 or Audi S5??

Not the same as an AM or GTR but both are great cars, better daily drivers and offer plenty of performance and style - at much lower prices.

And be sure to drive anything before you buy it... What someone else loves you may not...

Good Luck...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My first post: Nissan GT-R or Aston Martin V8 Vantage