Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

My first post: Nissan GT-R or Aston Martin V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:06 AM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
My first post: Nissan GT-R or Aston Martin V8 Vantage

Ok, so the decision is not that simple, else I'd just go with the Vantage! As this is my first post, I'll make it more of a story for anyone interested...

I'm Mike, 25, and graduating from law school in two months. However, I won't be practicing law, but continuing my own form of financial arbitrage, which has allowed me to pay off law school ($100k+ ) and focus so much attention to this precarious decision of GT-R vs. Vantage. I own outright a 04 Infiniti G35 Coupe with 40k miles. I love the G35, I think it looks, performs, and sounds great, especially considering the cost of $22.5k used with 20k miles two years ago. I wish I could stay satisfied, but I'm an absolute car freak and I'm thinking about buying myself a graduation present. However, while I'm fine buying a depreciating asset that will maintain much of its value over the next 2-3 years, I'm not keen on dumping big money into repairs/maintanance/tires/salestax/insurance/ect. So, I thought I'd share my delimma/quest with the group to see what folks have to say generally or specifically about my plans...

I am living in an apartment in downtown Columbus, Ohio. I'm going to continue to rent until at least mid 2012, at which point I think housing will have taken another deep dive, for several reasons, and I'll look to find an insane deal on a home then. The negative part with respect to cars is that I likely won't have a private garage until then either, although starting in August I will have the option to rent a garage for $75 a month at my new apartment complex (although I'm quite adverse to doing so).

Initially, I was looking at a Maserati GranTurismo S (still to expensive), Dodge Viper (too ugly interior / uncontrollable), Jaguar XKR (still really like this, with its styling by Ian Callum (Aston Martin designer) and very reasonable mid $50k price for a used low mile car, V8 Vantage, and GT-R. I think I've narrowed the field down to the V8 Vantage or GT-R, both would be used with under 20k miles. I'm not looking to spend more than $75k, especially if I buy this spring instead of waiting another year.

Aston Martin V8 Vantage - The beauty and sound of this car make it my first choice, despite its weaker performance (at least vs the GT-R). Aston Martins have always been my dream cars. However, I am 6'6'' tall and until the 09 model I believe, the seats did not recline well enough for me to really fit comfortably, espcially in a manual where I need to use both legs, so I'd opt for the auto/paddle shifters, and I think this wasn't offered until the 07 Vantage, correct? I'm not a huge fan of the rims on the 06-08 Vantage, and really want the DBS rims, or at least 09-10 Vantage rims, but thats another $2-$4k at least, on ebay. Besides that, my biggest concern with the Vantage is the cost of ownership, not the cost of the used car. I can find a sub 10k mile Vantage for under $75k, but that would be out of warranty, and it looks like about $2500 a year for extended warranty from Aston Martin. I do have a Aston Martin dealer about 10 miles away.

Nissan GTR - I do like the way this car looks, opposite some, and obviously the performance for $ (and vs the Vantage) is in a league of its own. However, the exhaust note, which is extremely important to me, is quite weak, especially compared to the magnificance of the Vantage, and I've never appreciated after market exhausts, nor found one I like on the GTR yet. I do physically fit in the GT-R perfectly. I am seeing GTR's now with 10-15k miles in the mid 60's (yahoo autos/ebay/manheim), and they have the 36/60 month warranty, much cheaper extended warranty from Nissan (~$1350 for 2 more years?) and a much lower general cost of driving vs the Vantage. Furthermore, it is AWD, and even though I'd very rarely do it, I could drive it in the snow if I had to (my G35 is awful, and I'd never take the RWD Vantage in the snow, ever). This would let me sell my G35 (for I'm hoping $19k, its fully loaded, 18'' rims, Bose, spoiler, 40k miles), and reduce the effective price of a GTR to ~$65k-$19k=$46k. I'd likely buy an 09 to get more of a depreciation discount (and reduce the hit to myself when selling), but I'd definately have Nissan check the Launch Control situation out and put IN WRITING that the warranty has not been voided before buying (they will do this).

I am also looking into getting a dealer license, which would allow me to avoid sales tax on the purchase of a GT-R or Vantage and drive it as a dealer insured car. I'm not sure if this will work out, but it is in the works, and I'd love to be able to bid at dealer auctions/manheim and arbitrage cars as well. I've got a professor who has a repair shop (he is also a dealer) that I'm going to attempt to also use the repair shop as the "physical location requirement" for my dealer license. I currently have access to Manheim, but only to look, not bid, although this can really help with negotiations. Past that, anyone have data how much a dealer license in Ohio will cost me?

I'm busy finishing up law school through mid May, and would buy in June at the absolute earliest. While I'd love to keep my G35 for long trips, I'm not sure I want to tie up $100k in cars at this point in my life, as well as pay insurance on both. The GTR would definately be an everyday driver, but I'm not so sure about attempting to use a Vantage as an everyday driver? I can only assume doing so with a Vantage would be much more expensive than a GTR?

I do think I'd be very well served by waiting another 14 months to buy, at which point I'd hopefully have even better situated bank accounts, and both the Vantage and GTR will have depreciated another ~$7.5-$10k (as I'm pessismist on this country's economic outlook and do not expect the demand for these cars to increase anytime soon).

Interested to see what members here have to say. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Last edited by MikeR397; 03-05-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:41 PM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
Dude that is one hard choice. I absolutely love the Aston Martins looks. One of the most beautiful cars on the road. I dont think you can go wrong with either but it depends on your priorities. If you lean towards pure performance there is only one choice between these two.

But man I dont know if I could walk away from an Aston V8 if I had this choice to make. I do love the GTR as well. It dresses up sweetly with tastefull rims, drop etc whereas the Aston doesnt really need anything. I wish you the best but I think you'll be a winner eitherway.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:53 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Well, another thing I need to do is drive both cars, and that is something I know Nissan will not let me do with a new GTR (and there are only 2 GTR's in stock within 75 miles of me, none used), and I'm highly doubting anyone at Aston Martin is going to let me test drive a Vantage too. I don't care what the dealers say; "you should just know you want the car," I'm never spending $75k on anything I haven't tried and fully evaluated first...

This is further complicated by the fact that I'm only 25, as generally I get treated like another window shopping/dreaming kid, at least until I spend a little time talking to the salesman. I'm happy to show them bank account statements, or find a used car somewhere to drive, but I will have to drive these models, and the specific car, before I buy anything. Suggestions here?

I am going to take a trip to Aston Martin tomorrow and get them to at least start up a 2009 or 2010 Vantage and let me sit in it (again I'm 6'6'' and the Aston is a much tighter fit than the GTR). It's been awhile since I've heard an Aston in real life, and the exhaust note is a big factor for me. However, as I mentioned, I belive AM changed the way the seat reclines in the 09/10 models that I can fit ok in, but I do remember having problems with an 08 I tried before. This is the coupe, btw, not convertible, that I'm interested in.

As for the performance, I know I'll have some qualms about choosing the "slower" Vantage over the 480 HP 09 GTR, doing 0-60 in 3.2-3.5 depending on if I use the launch control at 4500 RPM in the 09 version or update the system at Nissan (free) to the 2010 launch mode at 3000 RPM. According to Nissan, despite the popular internet rumors, you are able to use launch mode fairly often without voiding the warranty, but excessive use (aka: abuse, a standard they are unable to define of course) will void the warranty. It also matters if you turn off VDC and Launch, and as far as I was aware, you had to turn off VDC before you could enable Launch mode, but I might be wrong on this. Regardless, as I mentioned, when buying a used GTR, I'd get Nissan to put in writing the warranty was still good, and I would not do anything that would potentially void the warranty and subject me to risk of breaking a $22k gearbox/transmission. Anyway, I do care about speed, do drive pretty fast on the roads, would potentially like to take the car to the track, but also realize that 99% of the time I'll be driving the car less than flat out.

Last edited by MikeR397; 03-05-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:25 PM
widebody350 is on a distinguished road
If you wait 14 months, you can probably get a GTR in the 50s, not sure where the Vantage will be. I know some of the Vantage guys have issues with reliability(shifter/clutch or something, not too familiar with them, check the AM section) which could be something to consider if out of warranty and not doing the extended or even using as a DD. Vantage is sexy and classy, the GTR is a great car, but not on the same level, unless you want to track/beat most things on the street, in which case the GTR is hard to beat. If you want a mix of the two(swear I'm not trying to start this, but it's in his price range), check out some used 996/7 Turbos. If you get the GTR, get the LC updated if it hasn't been already to save yourself a potential headache/20k+. All are great cars, try them out and that's how you'll know which is for you, our opinions of the cars won't.

BTW Welcome to 6speed

Last edited by widebody350; 03-05-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:46 PM
I do like Porsche Turbos, but there is no way I'll fit (I'm 6'6''). I've sat/rode in a boxster, carerra, and cayman, and couldn't fit in any of them. Not even close, unfortunately. So, I'm assuming its no dice on a Turbo either, although I'll make an effort to sit in one tomorrow as well, assuming one is present at the dealership I'm headed to.

For some reason, I am much more comfortable with the GTR as my single car, every day driver, which includes parking it outside, in the rain/snow, and perhaps even occasional snow driving if necessary given it's giant tires and AWD. Perhaps this is because I view the Aston Martin as a work of art, which deserves a garage in a nice home. Seeing rain and ice and dirt on the AM would drive me mad, whereas I think I'd be fine with a occasionally dirty GTR. As I mentioned, I'm not buying a home until at least 2012, and I very much dislike spending $900 a year extra to rent a garage at the apartment I'll be moving into this summer. Thus, my cars will in all likelihood be parked outside (although in a safe residential area). I would certainly worry about an AM more than a GTR in this case.

For these reasons, as well as the apparantly significantly higher cost of driving the Vantage as a daily driver, the GTR is currently in the lead. Furthermore, I agree that the GTR should be able to be had for ~$57.5k with sub 15k miles another year from now, as its still quite new in the depreciation curve (the first three years are always the worst, generally speaking). The 06-07 Vantage, while just slightly higher priced now, was initially a $110-$125k new car, depending upon the dealer negotiation, and that car has already shed off the first three years of steep depreciation and recession fire prices. I'd expect the Vantage to hold its value (if purchased around $70k) better during the next 12 months. Most likely, the best plan would be to wait until next spring, sell the G35, hopefully for $16-$17k then with 50k miles, buy the GTR as an every day driver, buy a home in 2-3 years after that, then add a Aston Martin as a secondary car to the GTR once I have a garage. This is all assuming my entreprenurial efforts continue to go well, of course.

And then, the worst part of this analysis is my rational brain telling me to shut up and enjoy the 04 G35 Coupe, which has cost a grand total of about $290 in maintainence in the last two years for three DIY oil changes and a DIY ceremic break and drilled/slotted rotor change, parts purchased on Ebay. Furthermore, the G35 is depreciating at a slow rate of about $2.5k per year/10k miles. I simply have zero complaints about the G35, other than its not a GTR or Vantage...

Crap.

Last edited by MikeR397; 03-05-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Sir_Chris is on a distinguished road
Mike,

I was doing research myself as in 2011 my initial plan was to get either a pre-owned GTR or Vantage. A common problem we both face is that we opt for the Sportshift package, which right now I am finding it extremely illusive to find in the used car markets. This could be the main factor in which I would favor the GTR slightly over the Vantage. Almost all my searches have found that a pre-owned Vantage with the Sportshift would be in the 80k+ range (autotrader has a 07 for 78k).

The GTR as of now, is around 65k but I am sure that in 12 months it should be in the 55-60ks. So as far as value goes the Vantage no longer seems the better choice, unless the automatic ones drop to the 70-75k area. The Vantage gets points as far as depreciation is concerned, looking at the DB7's I do not think the Vantage will ever, even in 10 years, with <80k miles go under 45k-50k. Even being Japanese I dont think the GTR would fall under 40k either, just because of how well it preforms. The Toyota Supra and Nissan Skyline has also held its value quite well but they are more rare than the GTR. The new "V-Spec" is now comming out and that will effect the resale value of the GTR as well. I have a gut feeling that within 4 years we will be seeing GTR's for 35k.

I also believe that the GTR is more hyped up than what it really is. If you want to go fast, and lick every car you see on the street there is no better option than a Corvette C6 Z06. Which I believe is around the 45-50ks right now. The GTR just lacks that grunt in its engine to really outrace big V8's. Its strength is in its abililty to get off the line fast, but most races will already have you starting at 60MPH on the freeway and I think the GTR will lose that big edge it has due to this realisitc factor that not every race will start from 0, thus meaning its launch control is utterly useless.

I hope that in another year the automatic Vantage's will fall down to the 65-70k area, but in the event that it does not I would still have to take the Vantage over the GTR due to its image, presence and overall "coolness" from its marketing and 007 films. If you are the type of guy that also likes nice clothes, consider yourself suffering from invidious consumption, and cares for your self image IE: hair, weight, skin, then there is no better choice than the Aston. Imagine the gratifying feeling of rolling up to a restaurant knowing all eyes are on you, and stepping out of the Vantage and tossing the keys to the valet. Then feeling that rush of awesomeness as onlookers gawk at you, wondering what you do, who you are, and "how do I be just like him?" then there IS no other option than a Aston Martin. The best example would be a Rolex watch. People ask why do you need a $10,000 watch to tell the time, when a Casio or Atomic watch could do it even better. If you ask those questions then you do not understand what Aston Martins are all about, and you should choose the GTR over it. Its a personal preference in whether you want to say "my car totally licked yours" or "my car cost more than your house".

I also compiled a list of other cars that I thought promising in the event the GTR or Vantage does not work out:

Corvette C6 Z06 (as mentioned above)
Maserati Gransport (45k)
Mercedes SL55 AMG (65-70k)
Porsche Turbo 997 (70k)

Honorable mention include the Ferrari F355 (45k) which has always been a dream car of mine, too bad I hear terrible things about its maintenance. Another would be the Bentley Continental GT at 70k, but I dont like its rear or interior that much.

Anyways having the dedication, funds as well as the ability to buy any of these sublime super cars is already a great success there is no "best" choice. I wish you the best of luck in this arduous task and look forward to seeing pictures once you finally decide!

Old 03-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Sir_Chris
Mike,

I was doing research myself as in 2011 my initial plan was to get either a pre-owned GTR or Vantage. A common problem we both face is that we opt for the Sportshift package, which right now I am finding it extremely illusive to find in the used car markets. This could be the main factor in which I would favor the GTR slightly over the Vantage. Almost all my searches have found that a pre-owned Vantage with the Sportshift would be in the 80k+ range (autotrader has a 07 for 78k).

The GTR as of now, is around 65k but I am sure that in 12 months it should be in the 55-60ks. So as far as value goes the Vantage no longer seems the better choice, unless the automatic ones drop to the 70-75k area. The Vantage gets points as far as depreciation is concerned, looking at the DB7's I do not think the Vantage will ever, even in 10 years, with <80k miles go under 45k-50k. Even being Japanese I dont think the GTR would fall under 40k either, just because of how well it preforms. The Toyota Supra and Nissan Skyline has also held its value quite well but they are more rare than the GTR. The new "V-Spec" is now comming out and that will effect the resale value of the GTR as well. I have a gut feeling that within 4 years we will be seeing GTR's for 35k.

I also believe that the GTR is more hyped up than what it really is. If you want to go fast, and lick every car you see on the street there is no better option than a Corvette C6 Z06. Which I believe is around the 45-50ks right now. The GTR just lacks that grunt in its engine to really outrace big V8's. Its strength is in its abililty to get off the line fast, but most races will already have you starting at 60MPH on the freeway and I think the GTR will lose that big edge it has due to this realisitc factor that not every race will start from 0, thus meaning its launch control is utterly useless.

I hope that in another year the automatic Vantage's will fall down to the 65-70k area, but in the event that it does not I would still have to take the Vantage over the GTR due to its image, presence and overall "coolness" from its marketing and 007 films. If you are the type of guy that also likes nice clothes, consider yourself suffering from invidious consumption, and cares for your self image IE: hair, weight, skin, then there is no better choice than the Aston. Imagine the gratifying feeling of rolling up to a restaurant knowing all eyes are on you, and stepping out of the Vantage and tossing the keys to the valet. Then feeling that rush of awesomeness as onlookers gawk at you, wondering what you do, who you are, and "how do I be just like him?" then there IS no other option than a Aston Martin. The best example would be a Rolex watch. People ask why do you need a $10,000 watch to tell the time, when a Casio or Atomic watch could do it even better. If you ask those questions then you do not understand what Aston Martins are all about, and you should choose the GTR over it. Its a personal preference in whether you want to say "my car totally licked yours" or "my car cost more than your house".

I also compiled a list of other cars that I thought promising in the event the GTR or Vantage does not work out:

Corvette C6 Z06 (as mentioned above)
Maserati Gransport (45k)
Mercedes SL55 AMG (65-70k)
Porsche Turbo 997 (70k)

Honorable mention include the Ferrari F355 (45k) which has always been a dream car of mine, too bad I hear terrible things about its maintenance. Another would be the Bentley Continental GT at 70k, but I dont like its rear or interior that much.

Anyways having the dedication, funds as well as the ability to buy any of these sublime super cars is already a great success there is no "best" choice. I wish you the best of luck in this arduous task and look forward to seeing pictures once you finally decide!
???

The AWD will be useful in Ohio, where the OP is from, due to snow/poor roads(I've experienced when I've been in Ohio) and depending on if/how he mods the GTR, the AWD could be useful even at 60mph.

I love the Vantage/AMs, very sexy/classy/elegant cars, but if you're after the "look at me" factor and ready to drop around $80k then go for a used Gallardo, which will definitely have people thinking "his car cost more than my house," much more than a Vantage. A friend of mine who is on 6speed overheard someone looking at his G, say to his wife, "Look at that Diablo, it costs more than our house," people see Lamborghini they think $$$. In the DC area, I see a few AMs a week, so definitely not the caliber of car to cause people to wonder how to be like the guy driving the AM. I tend to like cars that have style, which will always attract attention, but I would never buy a car based solely on how much attention a car would get me, or how I would be perceived because of my car.

OP, have you given any thought to an M6?

Old 03-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks for your comments Sir Chris and widebody.

For better or worse, I think my height is going to decide which car I go with. I just got back from the AM dealership, where after the sales guy initially brushed me off, being very quick spoken with me (my typical experience at exotic car dealers, being 25, and while in great physical shape, lately I'm not typically freshly shaven or dressed up, as I have no need to be), he finally realized I was really interested and spent some time with me...

I sat in a automatic and manual 2009 and 2010 Vantage Coupe, and I really don't fit. I can certainly drive it, I have just enough head room, but the steering wheel is in both knees, and as I said, no way a manual would work. I did confirm that all 06 Vantages are manual, so I'd have to start at 07 at least, and as Sir Chris mentioned, now we are talking about $85k+ for a car I still really don't fit well in, and certainly couldn't drive fast given my awkward seating position. I fit well enough to cruise in it, but not even close to well enough for a daily driver or long trips. The Vantage is a tiny car too, and I'll bet I look pretty goofy climbing out of such a tiny/low car.

I did get the guy to start it up and rev it for me. Absolutly astonishing/perfect exhaust sound. I swear, 90% of my attraction to AM is the exhaust note and styling.

The salesguy said he thought I might have more room in a DB9, as the seat goes back closer over the rear wheels, but they didn't have one to try. Further, the DB9 is about $10k extra, or more, even rarer, and I don't like the body as much as the Vantage (although I'm sure I'd enjoy the V12, it is also a heavier car).

I've sat in the GTR twice before, and fit perfectly. I don't even need all the room it affords, and it fits better than my G35. The seats move every which direction, as does the steering wheel that telescopes out and moves up/down in tandem with the dash guages so I can always see them regardless of where the steering wheel is (G35 does this also, but does not periscope, which would really help). The GTR is a bigger/higher car too (vs the AM), and I feel much more natural climbing in and out of it. Still, even if I rule out the Vantage (for now, until I can afford it as a second weekend driver car), now the GTR has to convince me its worth suffering the depreciation, higher insurance, lower gas milage, 4x higher cost for those nitrogen filled tires, potentially extra cost of an extended warranty, ect over the G35, which is dirt cheap to drive and still fun. I was using the sportshift version in my auto G35 driving to AM today and still have a blast with it; I easily hit 115mph on the highway before I even knew it. Further, I think the G35 is the best sounding "consumer" six cylinder car available, the exhaust and engine really do sound great in such a budget car. Sure, the GTR is in a different performance league, but as other's have mentioned the 370Z and Infiniti flavor G35/G37 are also nice looking cars and fun to drive. Both are made by the same company, both are (would be) black exterior, black interior, big rims (18'' vs 20''), spoiler, sporty, fast. I'm afraid, despite my love of cars, my financial brain will always fight my top choice.

How can I attach a picture of my current car to this thread?

I'll add more in follow up posts...

Last edited by MikeR397; 03-06-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:24 PM
I care less about sticker price than I do about cost to drive that will be lost in depreciation/maintainence/repairs/warranties/higher insurance, ect.

It is interesting to hear you guys mention making other people think "my car costs more than thier house." To be perfectly honest, I want an exotic car 60% for my own satisfication (performance and personal appeal) and 40% to impress others. Sounds vain to actually say it, but I guess it is the truth. I do like it when people notice my car and come to talk cars with me, I love talking cars.

[personal financial details removed]

But, I ramble, and perhaps this is of no interest to anyone, but I've not had real money for too long, am very conservative and will do anything to prevent having to have a "real job," and want to make sure I can afford this dream of an exotic and not end up hemmoraging cash with costs of ownership. Again, my fear with AM, Ferrari, and Lambos.

Last edited by MikeR397; 04-01-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Other cars I'm looking at include:

Maserati GranTurismo - I don't think I could settle for the non "S" type, but its a hefty premium. I've never sat in this car, but I should be able to fit, it is a big car. However, I think this car is almost "too elegant" for a 25 year old. I wear jeans and t shirts, not pin stripe suits, and I'm not sure I'm at the point in my life where I need/want such an elegant car.

Jaguar XKR - A sweet car, but I'll feel like I just wasn't good enough to get a Vantage. Further, I don't see why I'd fit any better in an XKR vs a Vantage, but I will go somewhere and try it. This car is relatively cheap, with low mile coupes in the low to mid 50's already. It also sounds great and is quite classy, especially for the money. Don't know about the costs of ownership, but I'd think much less than an AM.

Aston Martin Vantage and GTR - discussed above.

Sugggestions?

What I've ruled out:

Porsche - simply can't fit. Not even close.

Lamborghini - never sat in one, probably outside my budget right now, and I highly doubt I'd fit.

Ferrari - too expensive

Corvette - I can fit ok in the newer versions, as they did change the way the seats move, but the headroom is pretty tight and probably too uncomfortable. More importantly, I know its a great performer, but it looks too basic, too common. I see 10 Corvettes+ a week, and very few people can tell the ZO6 apart from stock. This car doesn't carry much of a wow factor in my mind.

Mercedes - I do like the SL55/Sl65 and AMG flavors. I usually don't like convertibles, but these are hardtop and I do like them. However, its just too understated for me right now. I am looking for more of a wow factor. I'd love to have a SL as a third car, but not as a DD, at least right now. Further, like my problem with the Corvette, Mercedes are everywhere, and I don't think most people appreciate the differences between them. I'm not looking for a car that absolutely screams "look at me," but I absolultely do want to stand out.

Bently - too understated and refined for a 25 year old. Not there, yet.

BMW - Something about BMW just makes me feel like they are not worth the price, even with the M3/5/6. I just don't love the body style.

Dodge Viper - I love the exterior, but hate the interior. The drive is too harsh, and it could not serve as an everyday driver.

Last edited by MikeR397; 03-06-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:25 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
You sound like me three years ago...

I went with the GT-R and haven't regretted a minute of it.

I have every intention of picking up another car in couple years - either Vantage, used Gallardo, 911, etc...

And I'll have to go through all of this again. But the GT-R is a fantastic daily driver. And you seem pretty informed of the car's abilities.

About the comment on the ability to hang with V8's - I find this to be irrelevant. It hangs with the world's best cars (even in the rain, on less than better surfaces).

Old 03-06-2010, 05:55 PM
The lowest price GTR I can find is $62,900 for 6600 miles, in the black/black setup I want. This is true even in Manheim listings, although most of those are proxy bids. Average price is about $69k currently. Can someone explain why GTR's are about $4k-$5k cheaper on Yahoo Autos than on Ebay? I see nothing in craigslist listing.

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/nis...n&distance=any

That listing may be a scam though, as its a private party. I should perhaps still look into it. I'd need a carfax and through Nissan computer evaluation with the written note "warranty is still good," but for $63k, I'm definately interested.

I also need to figure out if I can get that dealer license and some alternative work around to drive this car as a dealer and avoid paying sales tax ($4,200 sales tax, ouch). If this works out, I'd list the car for $7k over what I paid. If someone wants to buy it great, if not, I'll keep driving it as a dealer car. I'm pretty unfamilar with this area, and want to keep things legitimate, but I know plenty of dealer's do this tatic to avoid sales tax and perhaps even lower insurance (in the dealer's name, tax deductible?)?

Don't Georgia residents pay 0% sales tax on private party used car purchases? Maybe I need to establish a residence in Georgia and establish a residence there, before I then decide to "move" back to Ohio. Always looking for creative solutions.

Last edited by MikeR397; 03-06-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:51 PM
techart gt st is a glorious beacon of lighttechart gt st is a glorious beacon of lighttechart gt st is a glorious beacon of lighttechart gt st is a glorious beacon of lighttechart gt st is a glorious beacon of lighttechart gt st is a glorious beacon of light
neither, how about a 2010 911 turbo.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Sir_Chris is on a distinguished road
Mike,

I was about to suggest you the DB9 if your 6'6" frame is a problem in the V8. Being a 2+2 I would stereotypically think the driver passenger seat would have more room, Sportshift Vantage's are about in the same price range as a 05-06 DB9...You did admit that a "wow factor" was 40% important when buying a car, so that rules all the "A-Grade" cars, like Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche and so forth. Where I live for example seeing a "A-Grade" car is really not astonishing. Great cars and all, but as you said far too common, unless you want to move to a poorer demographic

As far as Lamborghini's are concerned, I never sat in a Gallardo before. A relative owns a Diablo but I really don't dig retro car looks, with the F355 being the exception. A young fellow like yourself also would look misplaced in a pre 2000 cars. People will just think you took your dads car out for a spin. Ferrari and Lamborghini's have a legendary maintenance fees and I personally would have plenty of headaches sending in a Ferrari every few weeks to get work done. Too much of a inconvinience.

From what I read you need a reliable daily driver, and those Italians are out of the questions. I read on this forum a lot of Aston owners say their car is relatively low maintenance and are used as daily drivers (I recall a thread where people posted their maintenance bills and fee's). So if you want to have reliability & a "wow factor" in one car then your options are limited. No American or Japanese car has the "wow factor" no Italian car has the reliability, the Aston Martin is the only option (unless you count Jaguar but I always thought the XKR was the poor mans Vantage). Maserati was my 3rd pick I originally liked the Gransport but the rear reminds me of a Volvo or something...Guys over at the maseratilife forum say their pretty good GT daily drivers though and quite reliable.

You seem to enjoy your Infinity, I think you should just drive it around for another year, you did say the newer V8 Vantage's should have more cabin space, if thats the case then you can just wait for a 09+ to drop down into the more reasonably pre-owned price and your all set. Bright side with waiting another year is that you wont have a leather Volvo key you will have your own crystal Emotional Control Unit

EDIT- It seems widebody350 got all Sherlock Holmes on me! What I mean to say is that the GTR will never be under 35k it will always be in the 35-40k because its predecessors, the Skyline, Supra, NSX havent droped under 35-40k.

Last edited by Sir_Chris; 03-06-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Sir_Chris

EDIT- It seems widebody350 got all Sherlock Holmes on me! What I mean to say is that the GTR will never be under 35k it will always be in the 35-40k because its predecessors, the Skyline, Supra, NSX havent droped under 35-40k.
Nah just wondering what was up with that lol. I see your point, but there are NSXs and Supras in the teens/20s that are high mileage, not well taken care of, and they are more limited production cars than the GTR if I'm not mistaken. Seems like the OP drives about 10,000 miles per year and if he gets a GTR next year, will probably be looking at an example with about 10,000 miles which potentially puts his GTR in the high mileage/rough(Ohio winters+DD=rough) category depending on when/if he sells.

DC area is the same, a grade A car is nice, but not noticeable, so if you want to get noticed you have to step it up. I'm not too familiar with the AMs, but check out the Gallardo, there are a few people who are DD them, and if you're resourceful you can cut down on some of the operating costs (RS6 brake pads for the front, Viper front pads for the G rear brakes for example).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My first post: Nissan GT-R or Aston Martin V8 Vantage