Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

My first post: Nissan GT-R or Aston Martin V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:50 PM
jd1966 is on a distinguished road
Or a G37 or 370Z...

Since you seem to like your G35 so much - it may be worth looking at a G37 or 370Z also.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:02 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
AirMax95, I wrote you a very long PM reply, but then this forum told me I can't sent PM's until I have 15 posts, and I only have 11...so I'll reply when I can.

Other than the R8, I've never really cared for any Audi, they just seem a little too understated. I do like thier interior and build quality, but not exterior design.

I sat in a M3 the other day and also fit great. Not as much space (more than needed) as I have in the M6, but the M3 would work. Problem is, as I've been saying, I just don't think the M3 feels like enough of an upgrade from my G35 coupe to justify the expenses of getting a new car (sales tax), and hassel of selling my car, which has 40k miles and runs like new. I have no interest in having both an M3 and a G35 either. The M6 is borderline enough of an upgrade that I'd probably keep with the G35, but I'm not crazy about it as I previously discussed.

I'm not so ready to rule out the XKR (year 2007 and beyond). Its a beautiful car (designed by Ian Callum, Aston's designer), 420 HP supercharged V8 with a great exhaust sound and very comfortable classy interior. You can find them for mid to low 50's with sub 10k miles too: http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/jag...r&distance=any

As you mention, the only problem with the XKR is that "its not as good as an Aston." But at 65% of the price, and perhaps (not sure about this) 1/3 the cost to drive/maintain, it should not be expected to be as good as the Aston, even though they share the same basic design, frame, body, engine, ect. Perhaps most importantly, given that they started this car in 2007 and its 3 years old now, I think the depreciation curve might slow a little on it, at least vs the GTR. This is just a guess though, and perhaps the GTR will hit a depreciation bottom faster than the Jag, but I don't see this Jag being worth less than $30-35k in 3 years from now with under 30k mles. Ok, I'm going to stop here b/c this is starting to just be wild speculation on my part, but the point is I still like the XKR.

The Maserati GranTurismo is a great car, beautiful, elegant, sounds great, but its Italian and probably has a high cost of driving. It is also a expensive sticker at upper 70's to mid 80's FOR THE NON S TYPE, and I'm not buying the basic GT, only the GTS, which is now closer to $100k used and in Aston Martin DB9 V12 territory.

Last edited by MikeR397; 03-10-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Sir_Chris is on a distinguished road
Saw a Bentley Continental GT in the parking lot, it must be a new model or something, that interior is pretty. I always found the old interior too boring looking, the hardwood so terribly old fashioned, and the steering wheel was too square and bulky. This one I saw in the parking lot had some sort of carbon fiber dash, and newer clocks. The new taillights are way sexier than the old ones. These Bentleys also hold their price very well. 6 Years old still retains 65%

Old 03-11-2010, 11:00 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
I think I'm leaning toward a 2007 Jaguar XKR...

First the simple explanation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIaixV9V1Mg and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mXb1pyuZBQ

Now the longer one...

So we all know this Jag was designed by Ian Callum, same guy who designed the Vantage. Not only is the Jag similar in design (beautiful), but it shares the same basic engine and exhaust system as the Vantage too, so you get that wonderful V8 rumble, and with the XKR, the added supercharger whine at high rpms too . I swear, 30% of my decision is the exhaust note. I want people to turn thier heads and wonder what in the world is producing that sweet rumble. Supposedly, at higher RMPs the exhaust is also designed to direct the noise inside the cabin too. Stock, the car is quite and refined at low RMP's, but goes nuts under throttle. I can also fit comfortably in the Jag, and the interior is as beautiful as the exterior.

As for performance, the 2007 XKR is the 4.2 Liter V8 with a supercharger, 420hp. (Aston uses this engine in the Vantage, just bored to 4.3L at 380hp and no supercharger). With a computer chip and aftermarket supercharger pulley both installed for under $450, and "removing the active exhaust valves" (which I'm told will make it sound even closer to the Vantage, with the burble at low RMPs too, not just high RMPs), or a aftermarket exhaust/muffler, the result I'm told is around 500hp. All this can be done for about $750, and there are tons of other CHEAP mods to the Jag. Hell, just for the smoked tail lights on the Vantage were $1700 on ebay.

In fact, the 2010 XKR (about $90k used now), has the same seat stitching as the Vantage, 5.0L supercharged V8 producing 510hp, and an insane stereo. When you hit "engine start" a little aluminum guage pops up out of the dash that you turn for drive/reverse/sport, as it doesn't have the traditional shifter. Very cool. Not that I"m paying that much, as the 2007 is visually nearly identical and with a few cheap upgrades can come close to matching hp too. The price of under $50k is really, really great.

Warranty and cost of driving: Jags have 4 year / 50k standard warranty, so even a 2007 will have at least a year left under warranty (can't afford an aston with a warranty, which costs $5500 for two years). Then, jag's extended warranty is much cheaper if I want it, but from what I'm hearing, these Jag's rarely ever have problems, nothing like thier sister Vantage does. So, its a already 50%+ depreciated car, under warranty, that is reliable.

Did I mention gas mileage? 18/27. In a 420hp supercharged V8. Wow.

The sum of all these parts really give this car soul. Its certainly elegant, very reasonably priced, cheap to drive, amazing fuel economy, and a hell of an exhaust wail, second only to the Vantage (compared to the GTR, Mercedes SL's, and BMW M6).

This is the exact setup I'm looking for: 20'' rims, black/black with the piano black dash and aluminum sides: although I think I can find a 2007 version with sub 20k miles for around $47-$48k: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

I do wonder if it is possible to install that piano black and aluminum dash and take out the wood in a 2007, because this black/aluminum interior is quite rare and usually priced a lot higher? There is also a Jag XRK called "Portfolio Edition" which adds the Aston Martin type stitching, a special black paint that shimmers blue/green/purple (sorta like Tuscan), and adds a super stereo. Problem is, I can't find a single one with the rims I like or at a reasonable price.

I still like the GTR, but its $17,500 more, and I don't think it has the character, soul, or elegance, let alone exhaust scream that the XKR does. I'd enjoy the performance of a GTR, and I'd still like to get one, but I'd much rather wait another year or two and get a GTR at $50k. Until I have 2-3x more $$$, I really need to stop dreaming about Aston Martins.

Does anyone here have any info or comments on why I should not buy a 2007 XKR (other than "becuase its not a Porsche" ). I really need to find one to drive. There is a convertible 2010, but thats a whole different animal with different engine that 2007, of which there are none of around me.

Last edited by MikeR397; 03-11-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:43 PM
By the way, here are a few pics of my G35 I keep talking about. Still pretty, and still fun to drive. 40k miles currently, bought 2 years ago for $22,250 with 21k miles (But as for the upgrade to the G37 or 370Z, jd1966, I don't like the G37's design as much (although the throttle blips (like ferrari) is a cool feature). I like the style of the 370Z a lot, but frankly neither of these cars is enough of an upgrade from the G35 in my opinion.

Attached Images    

Last edited by MikeR397; 03-11-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:52 AM
See the below picture from the inside of the 2010 XKR with the white stitches over the leather everywhere. More importantly, what I'm interested in is if that piano black dash inserts across the entire dash/stereo/throughout the arm rest can be installed on an 07 XKR that originally came furnished with wood instead. I don't see why this would not be possible, as everything is the same size, and even with that new pop up gear shifter ****, the dash cutouts are the same shape. I'll have to call Jaguar tomorrow and ask them about this. If this upgrade is relatively cheap, it makes the 07 XKR an even better option. I absolutely love the look of the interior of this car with this exact finish.

Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2010, 07:14 AM
Sacha is on a distinguished road
Guy, an M6 is not enough of an upgrade, but the XKR is? The XKR will sink in depreciation compare to the M.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:57 AM
cshsia is on a distinguished road
Funny how I got the AMV8 and the GT-R parked side by side in my basement. Mine's the AM, my neighbor DDs his GT-R.

I have to be honest with you the GT-R is a much more comfortable DD. but driving around NYC in an Aston Martin is quite an experience.

Just curious, if you think cars in the 70/80k range is too expensive (I did too), how is your insurance looking for these vehicles? When i first looked into buying an AM, my insurance rate was borderline prohibitive for my income level, and I'm 27. I heard the GT-R is one of the priciest cars to insure.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:02 AM
actually Jeremy Clarkson is over 6'6" and he drove his wife's AMV8 quite often. I'm 6'4" and fit "comfortably", although passengers often say I look cramped, I would disagree.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:34 PM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MikeR397
By the way, here are a few pics of my G35 I keep talking about. Still pretty, and still fun to drive. 40k miles currently, bought 2 years ago for $22,250 with 21k miles (But as for the upgrade to the G37 or 370Z, jd1966, I don't like the G37's design as much (although the throttle blips (like ferrari) is a cool feature). I like the style of the 370Z a lot, but frankly neither of these cars is enough of an upgrade from the G35 in my opinion.

Jags are a great choice. XKR's are almost as beautiful as the Astons.

BTW no way you will fit comfortably in the 370z. Im 6'6" also and I can fit in it but my knees hit the lower sides of the steering wheel and if yoiu put the seat all the way back your head will hit the roof lol. I have a 350z and I fit better in that.

I agree G37 and 370z is not a great overall upgrade compared to an Aston or Jag. Post pics when you pick the Jag up...

Old 03-13-2010, 01:03 AM
I test drove a used 2007 XK coupe (not R, unfortuantely, I'd want 2007+ XKR) today. And it was not all that I had hoped. First, I realize there is a big difference from the XK to the XKR. That said, the driving position really isn't much better at all than the Vantage (more on this below), and after 5 minutes of adjusting the seat and getting the "most comfortable position," I felt like I was sitting too upright. Granted, leg/wheel/head room was fine in this position, but I felt like I was sitting straight up and not how I usually drive. The seats in the Vantage and XK/R work so that when you put the bottom all the way back, and start reclining back, the bottom automatically has to start moving forward. Too much and my knees are in the wheel, to little, and my head is in the roof. The best possible combo is 1/2 inch extra headroom and ample legroom (but not for a manual), but I am sitting more upright than I'd want to be.

As for the good, the XK in sport/paddle shift shifted gears very nicely, with precision, speed, and smoothness. The stereo was pretty good, but nothing I'd call great. The interface was ok, but a little slow and cumbersome to scroll menus back and forth; but the buttons on the steering wheel helped this. But really, what I liked about the car ended there. After driving the G35 with traction control off, flipping the sport shift gearbox on the 15 mile drive there, the Jag felt really big, heavy, and cumbersome. It felt like driving my grandpa's Lincoln in comparison. It did not feel like it was nimble, especially accelerating (didn't really throw you back in the seat, despite 300 HP from a 4.2 V8), and I thought it turned "heavy" and a little rolly too. Walking away, I was not all that impressed...

Right after that, I (well girlfriend was along for all this), stopped 5 miles down the road at Aston Martin. Immediatly upon seeing the Aston after being with the XK, I noticed how much more I like the Aston's looks. When I had them start the Vantage up so my GF could hear it, the noise is not even a competition with the XKR. It is perfect. Superb. So then, determined to make that damn seat work, I fiddled with the seat adjustments for 5 minutes, and in the end, I think I accomplished pretty much what I did with the Jag...I got my legs/head/knees to fit, but at an opportunity cost of feeling like I was sitting too upright, or at least more so than I wanted. Also, the steering wheel in the Vantage did not seem to telescope out quite as much as the Jag, and this is why I thought originally the Jag had so much more room, when it doesn't. But, for an Aston Martin, I would sit upright. It is possible (not in a manual however) for me to drive a Vantage.

Immediately after this, I went to a different Jag dealer who had a 2010 XKR convertible (only XKR within 100 miles of me). I didn't ask to drive it as it was brand new, but I did sit in it and start it up. Space in the convertible is exactly the same as the Coupe XK, and again nearly the same as the Vantage. The exhaust noise (5.0L supercharged 510hp V8) was certainly an improvement over the XK, but it was not even close to the Vantage. The guy was patient and let me play with revs up to 5.5k rmp a few times too, and despite a few of the loud pops and general deep sound, it was NOTHING like what the Vantage sounds like. I know driving the car under load is competely different than just reving it, but still, not even close.

Where this leaves me is that I'd still like to test drive a XKR, but I don't really want to drive 125 miles to try this. I was in my nicest suit today, GF was dressed up too (we were at a law seminar prior), and the guy still gave me a lot of **** about asking to drive the XK. He came with us, cramming my GF in the back seat. It was quite awkward for a couple minutes when he was apparantly deciding whether to let me drive the car. This did make my blood boil a bit. Despite my age, I looked sharp today, drove up in a nice car, talked the talk with him, and could show liquid assets of nearly $600k in my name upon requst (granted only ~1/5 of these funds are mine!) and he still acted like he might say no, over a 30k mile $55k asking XK. I really wish there was somewhere I could go and spend just 10 minutes in each of the cars I am looking at potentially, all in a row. Hell, I'd pay $ to do that (and that inspires a business idea, on another note).

I'd expect, I'm not going to be dazzeled with an XKR, especially if the bill will be over $50k. My GF said "obviously the car you want, the one I see you get excited about every time no matter what is the Aston...save some more, come back next summer maybe." Probably good advice.

Other stuff:

I also sat in a Viper GTS, not even close fit, no a chance. I could barely get out.

Jeremey Clarkson is either 6.5'' or 6'6'' depending on which source you are reading. I'm pretty average proportioned, but maybe I fit differently. But, as he says "I fit in nearly anything I want to fit into." That said, we are talking about a DD here, so comfort is important.

As for insurance, I have not got a quote yet for a Vantage for info purposes. My G35 costs about $800, and was quoted $1250 for GTR (this is with highest liablity coverage, from Geico IIRC). Recommendations for where to go to get a quote for a Vantage?

Last edited by MikeR397; 03-13-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Sti2m3 is on a distinguished road
I know how you feel.

I have had so many different cars and I always find faults with them all. I guess there is no "perfect" car. I am currently driving an 08 Exige 240s lol. Fit into that .

Old 03-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Dark-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jd1966
Since you seem to like your G35 so much - it may be worth looking at a G37 or 370Z also.
I don't think either of these cars has the "prestige" he's looking for in a car though since he mentioned 40% of it is about the vanity behind owning the car itself.

With that said, I will say this ... I took out a 370Z recently, and it is a very fun car. By no means is it quick but it is a huge improvement over the G35/350Z. I always thought the two to be rather sluggish and somewhat sloppy in their handling characteristics, but the 370Z felt quick, precise and fun. I automatically assumed I would hate the rev match feature... But I loved it. I eventually turned it off as I like being able to rev match a car myself, but it was certainly cool to have the car do that for you.

My girlfriends father is approximately 6'5 or so and he owns a Corvette and fits in it absolutely fine. He raves about how comfortable he is in the car, although he is a tremendous Corvette fan boy. So the Z06 might be worth checking into!

Old 03-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Wow you do type a lot, definitely a lawyer. LOL~

I hear you about the way Jag dealers treat people. Unless you're in your 50s, they simply don't take you seriously. The same could be said, although to a much lesser extent, about Merc, Porsche and Audis.

I showed up at Aston Martin in a BMW 3 series and a hoodie, and was offered a test drive. The guys have been an absolute class act.

I DD the Vantage, weather permitting, where I cannot go by NYC Subway. Definitely lacks comfort, and I feel really bad when my passenger is bouncing around in the seats. Usually I'm the only person who feels this guilt, however, as the passenger are thrilled just to be sitting in an Aston Martin.

As for insurance, grab a VIN from some car selling site, then have Geico give you a quote. They'll refer to your car as an "All Other",

Last edited by cshsia; 03-15-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by cshsia
Wow you do type a lot, definitely a lawyer. LOL~

As for insurance, grab a VIN from some car selling site, then have Geico give you a quote. They'll refer to your car as an "All Other",
Lawyer by degree only; I'm doing everything I can to avoid practicing law, although I plan to take the bar just in case.

Thanks for the insurance tip. I'll look into it. I've been reading a lot about the cost of ownership for these various exotics (ie Ferrari, Lambo, Aston) vs high end normal cars (M6, XKR, GTR) and the maintenance costs, insurance costs, repair costs, extended warranty costs, ect are really turning me off the former category, at least practially speaking with my ability to own one right now.

I think it would be fun to write a comprehensive article addresses these costs, in addition to depreciation and purchase price, and try to get published; eventually, perhaps turning it into a small book/guide for purchasing exotics. Would be a fun process and I'd learn a lot of personally relevant info even if it was never published.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My first post: Nissan GT-R or Aston Martin V8 Vantage