Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

996 turbo to gtr

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by str8blst
I'm in the same boat having just sold my 996TT this past weekend. I keep looking at more "expensive" sports cars but keep coming back to the GTR. I really need to get some seat time in a modded one.

After speaking with Neil Switzer a few weeks ago. I feel that the tuner end of this platform is very well taken care of. It seems like most issues with regards to this platform have been worked out. I especially like the fact that we can get big HP out of these cars and drive them daily with little to no issues.

The bigger question is, is it worth the premium to buy a 2011-2013? Or buy a used modded 09-10...... decisions decisions.....
I think '12 is the year you want if you consider the upgrades over '09-'11, MSRP, and eventual resale value. The '13s have very slight improvements over the '12s, but are priced so much higher that they will certainly take a larger depreciation hit than the '12s will.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:01 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jhuang25
I've had the same experience as all of the guys that posted before me. I had a modded 996TT and the GTR beats it hands down in just about every category. It is true that if you are the kind of guy that likes to shift and looking for more "feel" out of a car, maybe the GTR isn't for you. Then again, I wouldn't say the TT is either. In that case, you should be looking at GT3's... I use mine as a DD, and have a Cayman S race car that I take to the track often.

I agree but my TT is anything but smooth, lowered below GT2, 800f - 1200r springs, Moton 2 ways, straight cut gears for the cup car sound, and unplugged the PSM so the 600+ horses to wheels is anything but smooth/control but tons of fun. Someday I'll switch but to a cup car, Florida roads are boring enough, just want that raw fun. I'm impressed with all the new technology - imagine five years from now

Old 03-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
...I'm impressed with all the new technology - imagine five years from now
The fun will eventually come to an end. We're living in a golden era of performance right now, but with CAFE mandated 50+ mpg coming in about 12 years I'd say the fat lady is warming up to sing. Obviously there will be high priced alternatives, and probably some significant performance cars that use electric power to come, but the traditional high powered gas engine car is going to eventually go the way of the dodo.

Regarding the GTR, I wanted to like them at first but couldn't warm up to the large scale proportions of it or the curb weight. Then, I got the chance to drive one!

Wow, they are really serious machines, and I understood the hype right away (similar to when you drove your first P car in a different kind of way). The 2009 model isn't as driver involving as a 996TT for sure, but I've heard that Nissan did make significant improvements to that aspect of the car for the 2012 model year. I've never driven anything other than 2 2009 models. At this point I'm quite a GTR fan, and would consider one for my own garage!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
The 2009 model isn't as driver involving as a 996TT for sure, but I've heard that Nissan did make significant improvements to that aspect of the car for the 2012 model year. I've never driven anything other than 2 2009 models. At this point I'm quite a GTR fan, and would consider one for my own garage!

Steve,

I've owned two 2010's and now a 2012, and you are correct that the 2012 is more 'involving' car. As good as the '09-'11s are, the '12 does display noticeable improvements over earlier model years.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Steve,

I've owned two 2010's and now a 2012, and you are correct that the 2012 is more 'involving' car. As good as the '09-'11s are, the '12 does display noticeable improvements over earlier model years.

This is good info! some of the misinformation I've read is that the 09-10's can be converted to 12 spec... I am assuming they are mostly speaking of power and engine as compared to aerodynamics, suspension and trans....

Last edited by str8blst; 03-22-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
I also had a 10, the 13 is definitely much improved as well.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Banned
Boost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant future
GTR > 996T. You can make 580-610whp with very little money when modding a GTR. When getting into heavy modding, the GTR is more stable at or above 900whp. Just the nature of the beast. Having a motor up front and the trans in the back helps with balance. Something the 996T lacks when doing a ton of mods and making more than double the power of stock.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Steve,

Thanks for confirming these notions. It's always better to hear of these details from an owner, and the fact that you've owned multiple years of them is even better yet.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:37 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
This is good info! some of the misinformation I've read is that the 09-10's can be converted to 12 spec... I am assuming they are mostly speaking of power and engine as compared to aerodynamics, suspension and trans....
This is correct, for the most part.

Even the transmissions are 99% similar. The cooling, balance, handling were all improved.

BUT - what a lot of CBA (09-11) owners are doing is instead of taking a $40k hit (selling theirs for about $60k, and purchasing new (DBA-R35 for $100k), is investing that into some triples (or something), trans cooler, revised aero, Y-pipe+AP tune, Shep/Dodson trans, etc... and end up with more for less.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
GTR over the 6TT any day of the week and twice on Tuesday, if you are to compare I would put the GTR up against the 997.1TT, but as Zohair noted, the GTR platform is much more stable at speed than the Porsche.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:54 PM
nycsurfer is on a distinguished road

Dude,sup !!! guess what ,I test drove one with 870whp not long ago on the street ,that thing is insane !! stock suspension and stock brake ,handles better than my 996 TT ,don't hestitate !

Old 10-02-2012, 04:41 PM
greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !
any new updates on if you got a gtr. im on the same boat. looking to swap the 996tt with alpha 3076's with a gtr maybe. i have a hard time biting the bullet because the dont offer 6 speeds. so no one regrets it still?

Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by greekc6
any new updates on if you got a gtr. im on the same boat. looking to swap the 996tt with alpha 3076's with a gtr maybe. i have a hard time biting the bullet because the dont offer 6 speeds. so no one regrets it still?
Sold my 996TT with Proto 24/18G's... picked up a 12 GTR with Switzer P600 kit. NO REGRETS what so ever! Do it! the technology is really that much better.... not as raw feeling but if Speed and tech are high on your list then the GTR will not disappoint.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Yeah but it's a Nissan Corvette's are faster in a straight line too

OK OK I kid.....

Old 10-04-2012, 12:28 PM
greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !
Sold my 996TT with Proto 24/18G's... picked up a 12 GTR with Switzer P600 kit. NO REGRETS what so ever! Do it! the technology is really that much better.... not as raw feeling but if Speed and tech are high on your list then the GTR will not disappoint.
Hey str8blst. Where in nj you located? You really dont miss the 996tt at all. Miss shifting?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 turbo to gtr