Proformance Track Day Sat Nov 24th

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:49 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Proformance Track Day Sat Nov 24th

Anyone going to the Proformance track day this Saturday?

I will be there and it would be fun to see some other 6speeders there...

(that is right D-uber!!!!... married guy with a 2 week old baby making it to the track... it took a bit of convincing but it will be a guilt free day! )

Last edited by PJS; 11-21-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Red Bogey is a jewel in the roughRed Bogey is a jewel in the roughRed Bogey is a jewel in the roughRed Bogey is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like fun PJ but I'll be at the Apple Cup. Have agreat time there & a Happy Thankgiving today!

Old 11-22-2007, 10:24 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
pj,

i may come and watch. what time does it start? believe it or not....i've not ever been to PR.......yet. =)

are you driving? or just going to watch something out there?

Old 11-22-2007, 11:03 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
I am driving

Drivers meeting at 8:15
First group on track just before 9 am.
There are two groups and they alternate -- 30 mins on 30 mins off -- until around 4:30 or 5 or so... I think last session is at 4:30 and ends at 5...

I guarantee if you come watch you will want to do it.

You have to take the Proformance 1 day class -- cone exercises in the am and track in the afternoon with instructor.

Then on your first visit back for a track day -- you have an instructor for half the day, then providing that the instructor deems you competent to drive the track and manage the traffic, you can go out by yourself... and return and go out by yourself as much as you like...

This is my 4th or 5th time and it is really fun. Imagine the best parts of our 6speed get togethers in 30 minute intervals all day long! I can only imagine the thrill that actual racing must be... but my wallet already screams from just the track days

Red Bogey -- have a great time at the apple cup -- GO HUSKIES!

Old 11-23-2007, 08:43 AM
mitchelrl is on a distinguished road
Proformance isn't cheap, but it's probably one of the best driving schools around here to my understanding.

My suspension is now done, I installed new coilovers and springs wednesday night (600lbs in the rear, 500lbs up front), along with my frame and strut tower reinforcement the damn car is on rails now.

The only thing I have left to do is recaro's and a rollbar/harness bar and I'll be joining you for sure.

I might stop by pacific on my way home tomorrow and see how it's going.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:29 AM
PJS
Mitchel is not the only one to tell me that Proformance is not cheap... but I had a talk with the guy that runs PCA track days and here is what I came away with...

PCA track day -- $200, 90 cars, 3 groups (30 cars each group), on track 20 minutes of every hour

Proformace track day -- $225, 50 cars, 2 groups, on the track 30 minutes of every hour

an additional bonus is that on the Proformance days, there are all types of cars there... not just Porsches, but there are a lot of Porsches...

So... yes is is $25 more... but I think the variety and extra track time and fewer cars makes it worth it.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:38 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
PJ's watch 4,5a,5b and 6 early in the morning. that cauldren will be full of some very slippery driving. Keep your foot down hard from early apex at turn 8 and make that GT3 see the 150's by turn 1. It's like disneyland ya know.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by PJS
Mitchel is not the only one to tell me that Proformance is not cheap... but I had a talk with the guy that runs PCA track days and here is what I came away with...

PCA track day -- $200, 90 cars, 3 groups (30 cars each group), on track 20 minutes of every hour

Proformace track day -- $225, 50 cars, 2 groups, on the track 30 minutes of every hour

an additional bonus is that on the Proformance days, there are all types of cars there... not just Porsches, but there are a lot of Porsches...

So... yes is is $25 more... but I think the variety and extra track time and fewer cars makes it worth it.
It's worth it, sort of makes you question the costs of a PCA track day though =P

Plus, you're driving the wrong car to be haggling over $25 =P

Old 11-23-2007, 10:39 AM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
so, just so i understand. in order to be eligible to drive, i need to sign up for the class at PR first? i'm pretty sure PCA requires you to go to a classroom style DE first?

Or, is there an option to just sign up with PR and take the DE on the track w/out the classroom?

I'd love to do it!

Old 11-23-2007, 10:52 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
what PJ forgot to mention about PR days is the instructors typically know more than any PCA instructor. PCA instructors do it to get free track time and PR instructors do it for $. BTW Don's guys are top notch people as well. You'll learn more, drive more and take home more experience in a one day at PR then 3 PCA days. But don't take my word for it. I don't really have a lot of track experience

Old 11-23-2007, 10:57 AM
hmm.....i think you're right mark. i've heard what your saying by several people as well. i think PR has some great instructors. are you going tomorrow as well?

i'll call PR and see about signing up for whatever i have to take to be able to get out on the track. i know the local 6speeders were talking about renting the track out next year. i want to be all trained and okay'ed to go when that happens so i can join in. i'll get signed up before the weather takes a dive and they don't offer classes in the winter anymore.

till then, i'll come watch tomorrow just to see everyone! i wonder if there is an area where i can take some pictures of you guys. my camera sucks, so zooming in isn't going to cut it. i'll have to be closer to the track if they allow it.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Sears has Nikon D40's for sale for under 500 dollars, that would solve your camera issue for sure.

Hopefully the pass is good tomorrow, If so, I'll be at Pacific at around 11am to check it out.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:18 AM
mitchel,

wow! thanks for the heads up on the camera! i'll check it out!

thanks again!

ps...
i saw a shirt that reminded me of you. it said....
"Clitoris is NOT a dinosaur"

Old 11-23-2007, 12:02 PM
PJS
Mark -- thanks for the words of wisdom on the back side (of the track that is )... and early apex 8 to turn 1 will be fun with my new lwfw...

Mitchel -- I am not haggling over $25... I would pay more for less cars and more time... I was only trying to point out that saying proformance was expensive was not necessarily so if you break it down to # of cars and actual drive time alotted

Jodie -- go to the proformance website... if you want to participate in their open track days, you have to complete their one day school. Which will be sort of boring for you in the morning (cone exercises in a controlled environment that show you the habits that will be helpful for your time on the track -- keeping your eyes up, feeling and knowing understeer, etc) and then the afternoon is spent with the instructors on the track in a 30 min on 30 min off set up... this is the good part. They teach you the line and you are free to focus on learning it because the instructors are managing the traffic for you.

Although I have never done a track day with the PCA, I have heard from several people what Mark is saying about the instructors, and it is not just the PCA... the BMW CCA has the same issue... a lot of people wanting to get on the track and a lot of "instructors" becasue they can get free track time if they instruct. I have had three different proformance instructors and they have all been very good. On my one day school I was worried that when you get with the instructor on the track, it would be slow and somewhat boring... not the case. My instructor for the one day school was Ted Anthony (local bmw Pro-3 racer) and he was pushing me all afternoon...Ted and I had one spin out on turn 3b and I was glad that he was with me on my first spin out...

I wanted to get on the track so I started asking around and it was Bruce that was my first contact in the 6speed group... I asked Bruce about it and he said something to the effect of "don't screw around with the PCA/BMWCCA groups -- go see Don Kitch at Proformance"...so I did... and it has been really great... It has made me a better all around driver not just on the track but in real world situations as well. My car has no traction control and I would rather test the limits/get to know the limits of my car on the track than on the street... I want to know what my car feels like on the edge of "adhesion" and I do not want to find that out on 6speed drive... if you know what I mean...

I would say this... it is not simply a matter of getting on the track and going fast... there is clearly a right way and wrong way and the fun is trying to "nail" the right way and it is not easy, but it is fun trying. I am sure you have all heard that the great racers are smooth, relaxed and consistent... to be smooth, relaxed and consistent AND fast is not easy.

Beware before you jump in, it is damn fun, and the $$$ can add up... you will soon realize that a second set of rims and track tires are in order and will actually save you money in the long run... If you have "standard" seats and seatbelts, you will fnd yourself searching the spec sheets of racing seats and harnesses... (speedware sale tonight -- I think am getting seats and harnesses) and you will be on line trying to figure out what harness/roll bar you should get... you will be constantly thinking about your car's alignment etc... I would just add that if it is your cup of tea, it is somewhat additcitve... the only thing keeping me from a cheap race car (pro3 or miata or something) is my lack of time and space for another car...and my wallet etc... (cough cough wife/baby)

It is fun, you will learn a lot more than you thought, it will make you a better driver, and of course most of the people have been really great. For someone that puts in the hours at the office, it is a great way to blow off some steam... and for Jodie's husband Todd -- most of the Proformance days are during the week! I would love to see some of our local 6speeders out there as I truly enjoy spending time with all of you.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:04 PM
PJS
Originally Posted by BoxsterGirlie01
hmm.....i think you're right mark. i've heard what your saying by several people as well. i think PR has some great instructors. are you going tomorrow as well?

i'll call PR and see about signing up for whatever i have to take to be able to get out on the track. i know the local 6speeders were talking about renting the track out next year. i want to be all trained and okay'ed to go when that happens so i can join in. i'll get signed up before the weather takes a dive and they don't offer classes in the winter anymore.

till then, i'll come watch tomorrow just to see everyone! i wonder if there is an area where i can take some pictures of you guys. my camera sucks, so zooming in isn't going to cut it. i'll have to be closer to the track if they allow it.
there are plenty of areas for picture taking... grandstands, paddock, back side of south grandstands etc..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Proformance Track Day Sat Nov 24th