GT-2 in the Future

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:55 AM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
GT-2 in the Future

Alright....

After going and picking up the 996TT and doing the suspension and drivetrain upgrades, etc... I feel great about the performance of the car. Really want to do larger compressors and etc... so that I can run say, 500WHP/WTQ and etc... but before going to the extra expen$$e I keep thinking....

Why not just acquire a GT2 in place of my 996TT instead?

I don't want to sell my current car. Does everything I want it to do, and more.... but I find myself wanting for a little bit more and it seems like the GT2 should be the natural progression vs modding my current ride beyond what it's got.

Thoughts on this? Help acquiring a trade for a GT2 would be greatly appreciated. Current car has the factory CF package, full supple leather, white gauges, PSS9's, EVOMS-2 + DV's, FVD Euro-Exhaust, Solid mounts, Completely refinished box, new LWFW + GT3RS disk, SO2's, just excellent with 24K miles. -3-3.5% leakdown as performed @ Barrier so engine is 110%. I would look for a stock GT2 if the right one came along.

SY

Last edited by SpeedYellow; 05-20-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Eliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond repute
I was talking to my girlfriend about trying to make a budget to eventually allow one of these but don't think its going to happen anytime soon. Have way too much going on.

I love you 996 its clean and beautiful, and after riding in Garee's I almost say keep it and mod it. There is just a sense of pride that you get with modding a car vs. one that is fast out of the box. Its almost like making it your own because you change it to fit what you want.

RB

Old 05-20-2008, 10:26 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow
Alright....

After going and picking up the 996TT and doing the suspension and drivetrain upgrades, etc... I feel great about the performance of the car. Really want to do larger compressors and etc... so that I can run say, 500WHP/WTQ and etc... but before going to the extra expen$$e I keep thinking....

Why not just acquire a GT2 in place of my 996TT instead?

I don't want to sell my current car. Does everything I want it to do, and more.... but I find myself wanting for a little bit more and it seems like the GT2 should be the natural progression vs modding my current ride beyond what it's got.

Thoughts on this? Help acquiring a trade for a GT2 would be greatly appreciated. Current car has the factory CF package, full supple leather, white gauges, PSS9's, EVOMS-2 + DV's, FVD Euro-Exhaust, Solid mounts, Completely refinished box, new LWFW + GT3RS disk, SO2's, just excellent with 24K miles. -3-3.5% leakdown as performed @ Barrier so engine is 110%. I would look for a stock GT2 if the right one came along.

SY
Shawn even w/ a GT2 you still would have to mod it to make it acceptable. The car is laggy slow and twitchy out of the box. Very unforgiving and difficult to control the rear end at high speed. I had to spend almost $40K on mine to make it exactly the way I want it to feel. Buy a well modded one or wait for the 7GT2.

Last edited by vincentdds; 05-20-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:07 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
harsh reality of the GT2 is it shouldn't be driven by anyone that's not a pro. The cars are made for something entirely different than street driving and Porsche really shouldn't sell them to anyone. Vince can tell you they aren't your average Porsche and the 6GT2's aren't going to give you what your looking for.

If you want more speed and driving at the edge than go to the track. buy an older Porsche and run the tires off of it whenever you can.

You will never think you have enough speed in a straight line. Ask Jags (his GT1200 package is on order) On the track you can learn the cars and push them to the edge where cars are supposed to be pushed, cornering. That's the true excitement. Learn to Exit turn 2 in the 90's and you'll truly know why you own a Porsche.

Weren't you the one that made the list about what the wife wants you to get so you don't come home a couple threads ago????

Top of her list should read "buy a GT2" Not the car for you....IMHO

Old 05-20-2008, 11:00 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
harsh reality of the GT2 is it shouldn't be driven by anyone that's not a pro. The cars are made for something entirely different than street driving and Porsche really shouldn't sell them to anyone. Vince can tell you they aren't your average Porsche and the 6GT2's aren't going to give you what your looking for.

If you want more speed and driving at the edge than go to the track. buy an older Porsche and run the tires off of it whenever you can.

You will never think you have enough speed in a straight line. Ask Jags (his GT1200 package is on order) On the track you can learn the cars and push them to the edge where cars are supposed to be pushed, cornering. That's the true excitement. Learn to Exit turn 2 in the 90's and you'll truly know why you own a Porsche.

Weren't you the one that made the list about what the wife wants you to get so you don't come home a couple threads ago????

Mark is 100% correct. You can't get complete fulfillment from any performance car unless you drive it on the track.. Doing sprints on the streets can become boring real fast.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Eliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Mark is 100% correct. You can't get complete fulfillment from any performance car unless you drive it on the track.. Doing sprints on the streets can become boring real fast.
Thats why i live my life a quarter mile at a time

Old 05-20-2008, 11:51 PM
willcoxmd will become famous soon enoughwillcoxmd will become famous soon enough
"Ask Jags (his GT1200 package is on order)"

now that is funny!!!...............but seriously....did Jags order at GT1200?

Old 05-21-2008, 01:23 AM
S7RR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Eliseguy
Thats why i live my life a quarter mile at a time
You stole that didn't you... From that cheesy bike movie...

Old 05-21-2008, 01:57 AM
mitchelrl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by S7RR
You stole that didn't you... From that cheesy bike movie...
Its called Fast and The Furious, starring Paul Walker and Vin Diesel. It has nothing to do with bikes.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:38 AM
S7RR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mitchelrl
Its called Fast and The Furious, starring Paul Walker and Vin Diesel. It has nothing to do with bikes.
They stole it from VINNY!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0329691/quotes
Look for you self, I mean really who jacks a quote (I saw torque first never saw F&F)

Old 05-21-2008, 08:03 AM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
Appreciated

Mark,

You've spent significant time on the track and I especially appreciate your comments. The idea is that the GT2 is an exceedingly collectible car and that it would be worth the effort to own (and frankly, actually make a concerted effort to "learn" how to drive it) versus trying to make a 996TT-AWD into a more ferocious animal. I agree that there's a reason that people call the GT2 a "Widow-Maker" and agree wholeheartedly with you that the car is dangerous in the extreme. No ABS/PSM and etc... plus 2WD with a car that makes completely sick quantities of power (all at once) around 4K-RPM's which is where you "live" at the track anyways.... I'll take it under advisement. I did the 1975 911S and built it with the 3.0 liter and the GE-80 cams, BIG carbs, etc... MSD and then picked up the 993 C4S and tracked them both. Turn #2 is a blast ~ A and B. I can definitely see where it's better to "beat up" th older series of 911 given the "non-maintenance" schedule that they will tolerate and etc... I shouldn't have sold the Orange car. Fordahl had the suspension PERFECT for me on the 75, and it was stupid-light so for the output, it was really quick. Still find myself wanting a GT2 for the rarity of the thing, though, vs the kitchen sink mentality that seems to cause people to overbuild the standard 996TT. I definitely need to spend more time with Kitch-and-Company before trying to use 600WHP on the track. I've had gobs of fun melting the tires with 225WHP and hitting only 125mph on the straights and sliding around turns 2, 3, etc... and spinning the same car in the chicanes on the back half of that same track. LMK when you're headed out again. I need to learn a lot more and the track is definitely the place to do it. Yes, my insurance policy is the only reason that my wife is really supportive of the GT2 idea.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:17 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
my .02 is the 996 GT2 won't be a collectible. Way too many cars out there in front of that one. It's different and that's it. Most guys track them and trash them. Find a 993 GT2 and that's the collectible to own.

996 gt2 priced under or with 997 gt3 (996 already selling for 50k under msrp)
993 gt2 priced 75-100k over msrp in 1997 if your lucky enough to find one.

Just don't buy it. That car is the wrong car for 999,999 out of a million guys

Last edited by H20SKIER; 05-21-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:47 AM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by willcoxmd
"Ask Jags (his GT1200 package is on order)"

now that is funny!!!...............but seriously....did Jags order at GT1200?
Trust Mark to let the ***** out of the bag. Thats the last time I tel him anything

Old 05-21-2008, 09:59 AM
my .02 is the 996 GT2 won't be a collectible. Way too many cars out there in front of that one. It's different and that's it. Most guys track them and trash them. Find a 993 GT2 and that's the collectible to own.

996 gt2 priced under or with 997 gt3 (996 already selling for 50k under msrp)
993 gt2 priced 75-100k over msrp in 1997 if your lucky enough to find one.

Just don't buy it. That car is the wrong car for 999,999 out of a million guys
OK 993GT2 should be fun to search. But white is going to be very difficult...

Old 05-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Looney Tunes

Originally Posted by jags911tt
Trust Mark to let the ***** out of the bag. Thats the last time I tel him anything
I thought it was a GT1500 package due to the nitrous oxide?

It's like the Wiley E. Coyote routine where he's doing this special disappearing act by drinking nitroglycerin and jumping up and down while smoking a cigar.

The trick only works for a split second, never to be repeated.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT-2 in the Future