Running

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 01:09 AM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Running

I started training for the half marathon on Nov 30th... granted I'm a pretty big guy 6'2 about 230lbs.

Last week I ran 3.6 miles one day, 3.2 another & 2 days @ 1.8 miles. Today I managed to hit 4.5 miles. Any training tips from the seasoned runners for a new distance runner?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:36 AM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
^^nice job! plus, it's been HOT outside! don't forget to stay well hydrated! =)

Old 07-13-2008, 12:05 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
In the past, my running regimen has generally been Mondays - long and slow, Tuesdays - long and little bit faster, Wednesdays - short and fast, Thursdays - long and a little bit faster, Fridays, longest and slowest. Be sure to stretch beforehand and afterwards too and of course drink fluids and load up with glucose. It's not just about being hydrated but also keeping your salt/glucose pH balance too.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:36 PM
mitchelrl is on a distinguished road
I gave up running for Fight Club...wait, ****, there IS no Fight Club...

Old 07-13-2008, 12:53 PM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by atomic80
In the past, my running regimen has generally been Mondays - long and slow, Tuesdays - long and little bit faster, Wednesdays - short and fast, Thursdays - long and a little bit faster, Fridays, longest and slowest. Be sure to stretch beforehand and afterwards too and of course drink fluids and load up with glucose. It's not just about being hydrated but also keeping your salt/glucose pH balance too.
Great advice, Thanks!

Old 07-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Sendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to all
Go pick up the latest Runners World. Its focused on 1/2 marathons and some training plans. I haven't read it yet but have it sitting around here somewhere.

Congrats on taking up running. It's one of my favorite things. The past week has sucked since I can run due to the bruised ribs.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:13 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Visilli, good for you! Sounds like you are doing the Seattle Half Marathon - I did that one a few years back. You will have a great time and it is a big accomplishment. I am not a running coach, but I used own a training business and hold 7 certifications, including heart rate training and nutrition. Next time I see you, let's talk and I'll be glad to give you some tips if you would like.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:16 PM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
get some comfy running shoes

Old 07-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Sendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jenk12m
get some comfy running shoes
Great advice. When I started running I didn't follow that advice and quickly developed Plantar Fasciatis (sp?). Now I have to have custom insoles for running or I can't make it a mile. Head over to Super Jock n Jill, Road Runner Sports, or Footzone for the shoes. Any of those places will analyze your gait and then have you try some different shoes. They'll help you find the best fit for your feet.

Me, I love my Brook's Beast shoes. A bit heavy but very comfy and last a good amount of time for a heavier runner like me.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
You also need to start adding some distance, even if it's slow.
When I ran the USMC half marathon before I got out, the longest training run I did was about 10-11 miles. When I ran the actual race, I hit a wall at 11 miles and it was a complete struggle to finish the last couple miles......

I don't know what the course is, but I found running routes that had frequent turns helped. It helps you break it up into sections/goals. Make it to this turn, then the next, then the next. You can also time your sections that way to let you know how you're doing....

Old 07-13-2008, 11:28 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by atomic80

Sounds like my sex life. What were we talking about

Old 07-14-2008, 10:56 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Running is kinda boring for me.
If there any mini triathlon event in this area I 'd love to train for that...

Old 07-14-2008, 10:57 AM
^^ I love running, but I do like swimming & cycling as well. I think I'll get one half under my belt before I start trying to train for a triathlon type event.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:06 AM
joekimdds is on a distinguished road
definitely go to a running store and have them pick out the right shoes for you...a good balance is running every other day and do core strengthening in b/w...run different routes so your body doesnt go into cruise control and look into a local running club w/a coach...it really shapes u up...my pace/time improved dramatically running w/others

Old 07-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Strap a new york steak to your shorts, and bring a rottweiller.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Running