'67 Mustang Comp Coupe

Old 09-26-2008, 11:59 PM
BuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant future
'67 Mustang Comp Coupe

First I have to disclose this is not my car or my project. It belongs to my friend Preston. I have his permission to post this here and I hope we can talk him into joining our community over here. Since we are all gear heads here on 6Speed I just had to share this build with you. Many of you may know this car or Preston. He has been active at PR track days over the past few years in version 1 and 2. He also is also active in the local Shifter Kart community. Please help me in giving Preston a warm welcome over here at 6Speed.

This is the 3rd iteration of this mustang over the past 8 years. Preston is about the most knowledgeable gear head I have ever met. Seeing this project in each of its 3 forms, his skills as a car builder, welder, metal worker ect have grown tremendously.

This is a true ground up build in a carport over on the Eastside of Seattle! All year round you will find Preston out working on his car in the weather. He began by designing the chassis is CAD and getting the geometry 100% perfect (for the 3rd time). He then laid out a piece of plywood in the carport and began cutting welding and building...The chassis was finished in Jan 2007 to give you an idea of the time it has taken to build this baby.

Here is what he ended up with.

Chassis weight 450lbs. New Z06 415lbs.

To get as close to 50-50 weight distribution as possible the engine is moved back 15" and the driver is moved back 10" from stock.

Last edited by BuzzedHornet; 11-01-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:08 AM
BuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant future
For the most part I will just post pics here. But I will point some things out as i go...This is how he built the fenders. The fenders are based on 90's TransAm race cars.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:18 AM

Old 09-27-2008, 12:24 AM
Jan 2008...about a year after the chassis build was finished.

This is quoted by Preston...
"427" of all aluminum fury. Quck rundown on engine specs is Dart aluminum block (a dream of mine for the last 8 years), AFR 205 all worked over by my machinist, Super Victor manifold, Eagle Crank, SCAT billet rods with arp, Diamond Pistons, Hydro roller with 1.7 Crane pro magnum SS rockers (can't remember the exact specs right now, but its like a 230/234 with about .580 lift witht he big rockers and a wide lsa, should idle around 16-17" vacuum), I wussed out on the Jesel shaft rockers I ran out of budget, the aftermarket Dart block imposed quite a few hidden costs such as special main studs and linker bar lifters that used up the extra budget, and the Jesels are a little bit overkill for 6200 rpm motor anyway. My machinist had to charge me like $600 for the work he had to put intot he SuperVictor to match the ports, evidently it was way off so that was a bummer as I bought it to 'save money" over getting my old Victor Jr setup for FI. But now that I think about it it might have been just as off on the new stufff.

I used to wonder how guys could afford these expensive engines and I would just say that I've basicallybeen working on this combo for 8 years so I have a lot of bits and pieces and it just grows over time. We all know there is nothing cheap about these things, but at the same time I think I figured out you could duplicate all of my combination including turbos and junk for < $20k (not counting turbo header labor ha ha). That's pretty reasonable for a 1000hp+ capable setup with good reliability."

Money Shot!!

Old 09-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Sump Pump

Steering Column

Turbo Mock Up

Helper!

Old 09-27-2008, 12:39 AM
All buttoned up and getting ready for the first engine start. Damn these pics look good, I wonder who took them

Timeline June 2008...

Old 09-27-2008, 12:43 AM
All put together and ready to test drive...

Timeline Sept 2008...

This is the latest up date. Once she is all tuned and ready to go either I or better yet, Preston will post some final shots!

For much more detail, check out Prestons Thread over at CornerCarvers. http://forums.corner-carvers.com/showthread.php?t=32889

Old 09-27-2008, 12:45 AM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Wow! Looks amazing! Thanks for sharing, Rob! That looks like one heck of a project & a heck of a car!

PS, I'm still stalking you, Rob!

Last edited by CrazyRuskie; 09-27-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:45 AM
deafboy has a spectacular aura aboutdeafboy has a spectacular aura aboutdeafboy has a spectacular aura about
Wow...nice work. Looks like a really fun project. Your friend has really thought this out.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by CrazyRuskie
Wow! Looks amazing! Thanks for sharing, Rob! That looks like one heck of a project & a heck of a car!

PS, I'm still stalking you, Rob!
I felt a cold breeze just now and got goose bumps, then I realized it is just you reading over my shoulder again!

It is a hell of a car. I will try to get him out to an event next year. It is 100% street legal and he runs it at about 700-800 whp depending on the boost level. He doesn't drive hard on the street but I bet I can get him to come out to Main St or XXX next year. And he will be at the track allot!

Old 09-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
I saw this car probably 5-8 years ago at Preston's house. He's been working on this thing for a long time now.

John

Old 09-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Hey finishes it and then finds reasons to start over again!

Old 09-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
This has to be one of the coolest builds I have seen yet, it is also one of my favorite cars that I have seen on this board.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:31 AM
Seattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow man... pretty sick. I'm curious to see how the fenders will turn out when its all painted. But very nice build, I love when people are that passionate.

-Bojan

Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 AM
Hanahawaiian is on a distinguished road
Holy.... that SICK! I should post up my Build 1969 Nova SS into 800+ whp SBC Drag project... i just started...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '67 Mustang Comp Coupe