New!!--Exotics At Redmond Town Center

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:43 AM
TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !
We don't want this event to become another Cars and Coffee fiasco so we're trying to define what is "exotic." There are the other shows around Seattle for general classics, street rods, tuners, etc., and this is not that group. This is about rare cars. We want people to come out and see the cars and chat, but we unless we define the event, we're going to eventually have a mess on our hands. There are other shows that are for everyone such as Southcenter and this is not intended to be the same show, and we think at some point that site too will have to define what is show worthy.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:45 PM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Have fun at the new venue.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Banned
drpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these parts
so if that Tommy said like that, i guess i won't attend because my '07 S550 is not "exotic"

Old 02-08-2009, 01:24 PM
David_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of light
Doesn't sound like a lot of fun with limiting the types of cars. Not the true NW 6speed fashion if you ask me.

The NW 6speed crew is know for being a bunch of fun people who don't care what you drive. As long as we all like cars, that's what matters.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TommyJames
We don't want this event to become another Cars and Coffee fiasco so we're trying to define what is "exotic." There are the other shows around Seattle for general classics, street rods, tuners, etc., and this is not that group. This is about rare cars. We want people to come out and see the cars and chat, but we unless we define the event, we're going to eventually have a mess on our hands. There are other shows that are for everyone such as Southcenter and this is not intended to be the same show, and we think at some point that site too will have to define what is show worthy.
Well if it's limited to Rare/Exotic's only, then I'll stay at home.
I always thought of the NW 6Speed meets or crew to be more along the lines of what DavidJ posted.

-James

Last edited by Hot Shot; 02-08-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:07 PM
EM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Sounds like my wallet is too small to attend. You guys have fun with the us and them car meet..

Old 02-08-2009, 02:08 PM
TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !
I understand how you feel, but there are events all the time where my car isn't the focal point either, such as classic car and street rod events. I've got other cars too that are not show worthy but still expensive and I don't expect people to come out and see my cars. I don't expect my LP640 to go in any display where I show up just because it's rare. Some shows have different themes. This one is exotics. We're stuck in a situation where if we don't define the Redmond event, it has the potential to get out of hand and that's the problem. Please read the Cars and Coffee fiasco simply because they never defined "cars." We also have other exotic owners who won't come out unless we do define the event because they are not interested in anything other than exotics. Where do we draw the line? If you don't think any line should be drawn, then we have the potential to have the same mess as Cars and Coffee. In Seattle there is room for all kinds of events and it's possible to have someone else host an "anything goes" event at RTC on Sunday mornings. I know I won't attend those events because they just don't interest me all that much, but if there is interest, I'm happy to put you in touch with management.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by EM5PWR
Sounds like my wallet is too small to attend. You guys have fun with the us and them car meet..
This is a free event for anyone and we hope you come out. We're just defining the display area.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 PM
David_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of light
I understand how you feel, but there are events all the time where my car isn't the focal point either, such as classic car and street rod events. I've got other cars too that are not show worthy but still expensive and I don't expect people to come out and see my cars. I don't expect my LP640 to go in any display where I show up just because it's rare. Some shows have different themes. This one is exotics. We're stuck in a situation where if we don't define the Redmond event, it has the potential to get out of hand and that's the problem. Please read the Cars and Coffee fiasco simply because they never defined "cars." We also have other exotic owners who won't come out unless we do define the event because they are not interested in anything other than exotics. Where do we draw the line? If you don't think any line should be drawn, then we have the potential to have the same mess as Cars and Coffee. In Seattle there is room for all kinds of events and it's possible to have someone else host an "anything goes" event at RTC on Sunday mornings. I know I won't attend those events because they just don't interest me all that much, but if there is interest, I'm happy to put you in touch with management.
So by your standards, no 911s should be allowed since they are not rare. Production numbers for 996 and 997 cars is very high, so that means that are not rare.

Not allowing all cars is really messed up. I go to many hot rod shows with my car and have never not been allowed because I was a sports car. The hot rods guys are super cool about it and love it.

You keep mentioning the cars and coffee mess, care to explain? I think many on here have no clue what you are talking about. Maybe Cali? Much different up here then down there. All our cars and coffee events have no issues and we don't limit who can come.

The others that won't come out unless it's all exotics, sounds like a bunch of snobs if you ask me. I bet they won't drive their cars in the rain either.

Last edited by David_J; 02-08-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Please, no name calling. We all have different interests in cars and many of us overlap. We originally wanted it to be a Cars and Coffee chapter but then we read about the mess and decided that we had to define it. In a nutshell, Cars and Coffee began as a bunch of exotic owners who live above Crystal Cove who drove down the hill to chat about their cars. They never defined it as a specific event and was just the neighborhood car guys getting together, however it grew unchecked, to the point where the street rods and tuners showed up in droves and the neighbors complained about the noise and burnouts and the whole thing was shut down. This was several years ago. It then moved to the Ford parking lot in Irvine. Again, it was never defined and has now grown into a free-for-all to the point where none of the interesting cars that people drive for miles to see can even get in. The last straw was when about 60 S2000s showed up hogging most of the spaces. Everyone now claims to have the right to be there and it's turned into a giant mess. Consequently they are trying to define who gets in, but that's now causing huge problems and it too may shut down as the event was not what Ford was thinking either. I think in Seattle there can be multiple events for different interests. I don't expect any car I have to automatically be show-worthy just because I show up, not even my LP. If there is room, we don't care that much who shows up, but we have to define it somehow. I also don't have perfect answers for every situation. It's safe to say that if the build time on your car was less time than it takes to make a ham sandwich, then this probably isn't the right place to show off your car.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Antroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant future
This is a free event for anyone and we hope you come out. We're just defining the display area.
Haha, so you're saying we're welcome to come out and fawn all over the "exotics" as long as we park our non-exotic, unworthy cars elsewhere? Enjoy your mornings alone, fellas.

The whole reason I started showing up to any of the PNW 6speed meets is because they welcomed EVERYBODY, no matter what car they drove, to join them and park right up next to them. I predict you won't have any problems with attendance like the C&C meets in SoCal.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Banned
drpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these parts
i really don't think here in Seattle we have lots of people like CA that likes to show off. Here we are all about passion for cars for real.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:26 PM
RTC is not that big of a place and we thought it best to try and define it now before it's too late. I know we can't please everyone and to my knowledge there has never been a successful continuous event of any size in Seattle because everyone has a different idea about where they want to bring their cars and why. It could work out so that we do different themes every week. We don't know yet. It sounds like Southcenter will be a good alternative for those who don't want to join us. Someday it would be cool if we could find a spot with different sections for different types of cars so that each type was responsible for that section. That way if one section is full of Hondas with wings, or the S2000 club it doesn't mess with everyone else who wants to participate.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:41 PM
mjf
mjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud of
The tagline here at 6speed is "Luxury and exotic auto and lifestyle forums". Why not just limit the event to 6speed forum goers if you want to restrict the crowd? If that's not good enough, perhaps we should have a separate event for 6speed members.

I recall hearing a quote, it might have been from Jay Leno, where he basically said that if you're into your car and only your car and can't appreciate other fine cars, you're not a car guy you're just a fan boy. While I know my car is better than any Porsche I can still admire the p-cars for the engineering marvels that they are. Besides all the owners are super cool people. *wink*

I don't know if my car is rare & exotic. It's #6 of 20 in North America, but I'm sure that there are plenty of people that would point at it's affordable price tag ($60K) or it's small engine (1.8L ~200hp for 1980lb curb wt.) and denounce it as a cheap sports car. But I do know this, I won't want to go to any event that tells Greta or Jody they have to sit outside the 'special' area.

I'm sure that's not the case, I'm sure the point was to try and keep the spirit of exotics on main alive. We had plenty of cool and odd cars there, while avoiding the younger tuner streetracer type of crowd that I'm guessing is the crowd you actually intended to distance the event from.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:55 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
aww..thanks michael. i appreciate all kinds of car events from hot rods, to tuners, to exotics, to classics and i love car shows. it's always been nice to feel wanted/welcome at the events. the NW crew has always made me feel that way.

Last edited by BoxsterGirlie01; 02-10-2009 at 11:40 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: New!!--Exotics At Redmond Town Center