Need help with PC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Need help with PC

I need someone proficient with spy ware/virus removal from my PC. I'm willing to pay them to come out and take a look if they have something that will run from a disc and not the PC itself.

I'm having some major issues on my desktop as you can imagine and can't afford to lose any data. so far everything I've tried has not worked.
Feel free to PM me with any suggestions.

Thanks,
James

Old 06-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
if the computer will still boot up the first thing you need to do is turn off "system restore"...otherwise every time you remove the virus, system restore dutifully puts it back when you boot and you will think you didn't accomplish anything...wish I knew a guru in your area but one should not be hard to find....good luck

ps..check this dude out...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-computer.html

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-20-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
if the computer will still boot up the first thing you need to do is turn off "system restore"...otherwise every time you remove the virus, system restore dutifully puts it back when you boot and you will think you didn't accomplish anything...wish I knew a guru in your area but one should not be hard to find....good luck

ps..check this dude out...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-computer.html
Where is the system restore turned off?
I've got Norton 360, and both spyware tools he listed, but both are not working correctly. Whatever I have, it's nasty!

Old 06-20-2009, 07:54 AM
Eliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond repute
Theres a ton of computer guys in our section of 6 speed so I am sure they will chime in once regular day walker hours come to.

The moral of the story is that cheap internet **** spyware > norton anti virus. You might have the newly mutated strain of Hepatitis PC.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
James, you can turn off system restore by going to Start-control panel-system- this will bring up a window and one of the tabs is "System Restore"...select "turn off System Restore on all drives"...then when you delete a virus it will stay deleted...once you have re-booted and have a clean computer again you can turn system restore back on...if up to date anti-virus software can't identify the problem you might want to boot from a windows cd and get your files backed up

Old 06-20-2009, 12:06 PM
mjf
mjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud of
Get Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, should help. I don't have much faith in Norton or any of the other commercial anti spyware/virus apps.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by mjf
Get Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, should help. I don't have much faith in Norton or any of the other commercial anti spyware/virus apps.
I already have malwarebytes installed but it won't open or scan anything. Same with spybot. Adaware installed at least but didn't find much. I did install the cleaner that's in the other post though.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
James, you can turn off system restore by going to Start-control panel-system- this will bring up a window and one of the tabs is "System Restore"...select "turn off System Restore on all drives"...then when you delete a virus it will stay deleted...once you have re-booted and have a clean computer again you can turn system restore back on...if up to date anti-virus software can't identify the problem you might want to boot from a windows cd and get your files backed up
So I don't see a way to turn it off with Vista, but the last system check point was back on the 16th. I'm going to restore to that point. I'm hoping whatever it is I got, wasn't there before that. That way the only thing not on my PC is all the photos I shot with a friend yesterday, but I still have those on the CF cards and can load them later.

Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it. Hopefully the restore works.....

Old 06-20-2009, 06:33 PM
One more quick update. I was able to get Avira antivirus installed and am running a full scan. This is great software. It found 5 files so far and tells me what they are, and who installed it on what date. Now off to google the guy!

Last edited by Hot Shot; 06-20-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:31 PM
PoBExige is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hot Shot
I already have malwarebytes installed but it won't open or scan anything. Same with spybot. Adaware installed at least but didn't find much. I did install the cleaner that's in the other post though.
Download a tool called avenger. It will remove any rootkits that are preventing you from opening those anti-spyware tools. As mentioned turn off your system restore, and boot into safe mode with networking. Update your malwarebytes, and do a full scan. Should do the trick.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by PoBExige
Download a tool called avenger. It will remove any rootkits that are preventing you from opening those anti-spyware tools. As mentioned turn off your system restore, and boot into safe mode with networking. Update your malwarebytes, and do a full scan. Should do the trick.
Do you have a link for their site? Google Avenger comes up with a ton of non related items.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:57 PM
PoBExige is on a distinguished road
Do you have a link for their site? Google Avenger comes up with a ton of non related items.
http://swandog46.geekstogo.com/
Go to the tab 'The Avenger' at the top. Click on download.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:01 AM
BritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to behold
I've used Avenger to remove rootkits off of a friend's computer -- very powerful (and dangerous in inexperienced hands) software. Sometimes it will be the only way to remove some of the nastiest virii.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm a "computer guy" & will be happy to fix it for ya. But to properly clean it out, it can take some time.

Oh, yea, hide your ****....

Old 06-21-2009, 10:58 AM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
i can give you a free helpdesk support call or two from microsoft. i've got the cards sitting in my office and can swing by lincoln square today and get them for your.

send me a pm with your contact info pls

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.