Trying to move out West

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:31 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Trying to move out West

My wife and I have visted Seattle twice in the past two years and really love it. We have no kids and two dogs and are thinking about pulling up from our home in Georgia and moving out possibly to the Gig Harbor area??

My question is........will we be able to afford it?

Right now I bring home around 170K after taxes and she is still going through nursing school to become an RN. I'm self employed as a Health Insurance Broker but with the new changes because of Obama I may be out of a job in 2014.

I guess the purpose of this post is just to get ideas of what I could do if health insurance heads south in the Seattle area. I'm 26yrs old and have always worked for myself. Just wanted to post in here to see if anyone would share what they do, where to look for a solid 6 figured job, or just generally get some information. I know $170K in GA probably goes a lot farther than in Seattle.

If you were me, and trying to make this move what would you be looking into for work? I'm strong in sales, communication(Especially phone as my 1400 clients have all come from phone sales), and just plain hard work.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-24-2012, 11:33 AM
TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !
This is a great area to live. The long wet winters are actually kind of nice. Contrary to what you may read, it doesn't rain every day in winter, but the overcast can go on for a long time. That level of income is fine in this area, and nursing remains in high demand.

As for telephone sales, the big incomes are in tech, however there are still companies that need great sales people, and we've got some big insurance companies located here. Like any move, it's all what you make it and choose to see. Gig Harbor is nice, but the bridge can be a bit much to contend with.

We have a strong car community and it keeps getting stronger and more closely integrated and that's likely to continue so there is lots to do!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:58 PM
rutiger is on a distinguished road
170 is fine here. i'd suggest you carefully assess your home location vs where you and your wife will be working. traffic is pretty bad here. i moved here at the height of real estate prices which dictated i move a bit far out (for the type of home we wanted). the commute is terrible though. luckily i only deal with it a few days a week at most.

off topic here, but tommy what is a range rover sport turbo?

Old 08-25-2012, 02:49 PM
2112 is on a distinguished road
I am from Gig Harbor. (well, live on Fox Island)

With your dual income, you will be just fine here. Big range of housing options. Good stuff not cheap, but way down from 5 years ago. Depending on what business you are in at the time of arrival, you may have to commute.

Temps are mild here, you gotta be prepared for a lack of sunshine.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Hey guys, thanks so much for the responses. We probably couldn't make the move for another year or so but this information is really helpful.

My biggest concern is that with the changes in legislation that there may no longer be a market for private health insurance, which would leave me trying to start a new business. Part of what intrigues me about the Seattle area is that it seems to have a thriving economy and might be a good start for a small business. But I'm really hoping I can just keep doing what I'm doing and that health insurance stays around for years to come.

Another thing that intrigues me is the car community out there. Where I live there is nothing but Honda's and Mustangs!

Thanks for the advice and if anyone has any business ideas or leads on where to look into a solid career for an Insurance guy please let me know.