Other British Cars Jaguar, TVR, Rolls Royce, Morgan, Caterham, Noble & Range Rover

Xkr175

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:01 AM
rayman89 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by TaylorMade411
LOL, lets keep this post going! I think I've read every review out there on the on 2010/2011 XKR...but at the same time with such a lack of new model XKR owners hanging around on the enthusiast communities I havent had a chance to talk to any actual owners. This thread is a big help! Thanks a lot guys.

Based on all my research the only bad things I've heard is the lucas electrical issues/reliability (which isnt a big deal because 2011 have the 5 year warranty/service cov) The ride is slightly harsh (good news to my ears because like rayman said the focus is on handling not the comfort) and that the touch screen media interface is pretty slow on stupid.

All an all I think when you combine the design, the performance and throw in the 5 year platinum plan these cars are a bargin!
Hear, hear lol, your right, 500+bhp for over £70k?, bargain. Obviously rear seats are not for human use, mainly for tax purposes in the U.S. I've driven one for a short distance, press dynamic mode and the throttle response quickens up, blip it too quick and the rears light up, very very tail happy

Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 AM
DRLC6 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info. I think I found my replacement for my 6 series. I will start looking next month for a new or slightly used XKR.Man the more I read and see these XKRs the more I like them. Do you know if the 2012 models will have any sugnificant changes? I already know about the S car but I am talking about the XKR. I am looking forward to my first Jaguar.Thnaks again for the help.

Originally Posted by rayman89
I'll answer your questions one by one . They are one of the best handling gt's in the world, very quiet in the cabin, can't really appreciate the roar of the V8, unless the windows are down. Stereo system is very easy to use and speakers are by Bower and Wilkins (if that means anything), mechanically there is no difference between a normal 'R' and the 175, the 175 has been de-restricted and aero package has been applied so it can hit 175 mph.

Hope this helps

Old 04-11-2011, 08:44 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
This is the car I've been targeting for my next ride. Like someone else said, there is very little activity from owners on any forum.
As much as I like about what I see and hear, reliability is my #1 value in purchasing a car. I thought with Ford being the former owner, these cars would be a lot more reliable than they were pre-Ford. I met a guy who works at a dealership and he says the cars are very bad in reliability. He actually said they were terrible. Can anyone else share some information? I would be so disappointed if they were as bad as he described. I also met an XF owner who said his and all current Jags are crappy. What gives?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by DRLC6
Thanks for the info. I think I found my replacement for my 6 series. I will start looking next month for a new or slightly used XKR.Man the more I read and see these XKRs the more I like them. Do you know if the 2012 models will have any sugnificant changes? I already know about the S car but I am talking about the XKR. I am looking forward to my first Jaguar.Thnaks again for the help.
From what i understand, the 12 model year cars will look the same as the xkr-s2, the aero package will be an optional extra

Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by ice350
This is the car I've been targeting for my next ride. Like someone else said, there is very little activity from owners on any forum.
As much as I like about what I see and hear, reliability is my #1 value in purchasing a car. I thought with Ford being the former owner, these cars would be a lot more reliable than they were pre-Ford. I met a guy who works at a dealership and he says the cars are very bad in reliability. He actually said they were terrible. Can anyone else share some information? I would be so disappointed if they were as bad as he described. I also met an XF owner who said his and all current Jags are crappy. What gives?
.............where to begin...........when ford took over, they thought they can cut corners and build cars much cheaper, overall generating bigger profit margins............things like jag engines with ford gearboxes, mondeo electrics etc etc etc and like the mechanic said, quality dropped like no-mans business. Gearboxes couldn't handle the torque, electrics lasting short periods of time, you know the drill. The way things are going now, obviously with new owners you want to fix your damaged reputation so things have improved massively. Tata men trying everything they can to separate from the ford brand and it has been going well. With any brand you’re going to get issues, it's how they handle it, I know for a fact BMW and Mercedes ain't bullit proof, they charge a massive bill without answers. Trust, the way Jag is moving forward, there products have shot up in quality.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Pugman is on a distinguished road
You will LOVE this car. For me, it's the perfect balance between raw speed and sublime comfort. I wouldn't worry too much about reliability on a 2010-12 model. My 175 has been excellent, with almost 12,000 miles already. My only concern is that I'm neglecting driving my other cars, because the Jag is so alluring.

Quality-wise, the XKR seems to be as good or better than its competition. I wouldn't let Jag's "old ghosts" haunt your decision. Besides there's free maintenance and a long warranty. There have been some issues with the new XJ and the XF, but since the XK has been in production the longest, most of the kinks seem to have been worked out (this, according to my service advisor).

If you get a new one, make sure you sign up for the free Jaguar R Performance Driving Academy. It's one of the best things I've done.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:12 PM
I agree the warranty will take care of any possible issues that could arise. My wife has a 2010MB ML SUV the first week the rear went out yes they repaired without any questions but as with any thing mechanical no matter where it comes from problems may arise, it is all how it is handled. I went to look at a 175 today and was blown away actually rode as good or better than my 650 but with way more get up and go!!! Man I miss the torque and power.
My wife will be ready to trade her Merc in October if I can hold out until then we will both be ready maybe a new RR for her and new Jag XKR for me. Until then I may go crazy waiting. I will continue to research and learn about these great cars. Maybe by then I could get a better deal on an 11? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Pugman
You will LOVE this car. For me, it's the perfect balance between raw speed and sublime comfort. I wouldn't worry too much about reliability on a 2010-12 model. My 175 has been excellent, with almost 12,000 miles already. My only concern is that I'm neglecting driving my other cars, because the Jag is so alluring.

Quality-wise, the XKR seems to be as good or better than its competition. I wouldn't let Jag's "old ghosts" haunt your decision. Besides there's free maintenance and a long warranty. There have been some issues with the new XJ and the XF, but since the XK has been in production the longest, most of the kinks seem to have been worked out (this, according to my service advisor).

If you get a new one, make sure you sign up for the free Jaguar R Performance Driving Academy. It's one of the best things I've done.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:05 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rayman89
.............where to begin...........when ford took over, they thought they can cut corners and build cars much cheaper, overall generating bigger profit margins............things like jag engines with ford gearboxes, mondeo electrics etc etc etc and like the mechanic said, quality dropped like no-mans business. Gearboxes couldn't handle the torque, electrics lasting short periods of time, you know the drill. The way things are going now, obviously with new owners you want to fix your damaged reputation so things have improved massively. Tata men trying everything they can to separate from the ford brand and it has been going well. With any brand you’re going to get issues, it's how they handle it, I know for a fact BMW and Mercedes ain't bullit proof, they charge a massive bill without answers. Trust, the way Jag is moving forward, there products have shot up in quality.
I hope you're right about Tata restoring....actually, they would be bringing quality for the first time in the life of Jaguar. The guy who works at the dealer said the parts still have Fomoco (Ford Motor Co) on them so there is still some changing to be done.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by ice350
I hope you're right about Tata restoring....actually, they would be bringing quality for the first time in the life of Jaguar. The guy who works at the dealer said the parts still have Fomoco (Ford Motor Co) on them so there is still some changing to be done.
Transition will take time, but they are doing what they can to seperate from ford, one of the reasons why they're coming out with a sports car.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:46 AM
Just driven the new black edition, it's like wolverine taking an act of celibacy, 3 weeks in. What a BEAST

Old 04-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Has anyone made any offers on these cars? What are you seeing being offered off of sticker? If you have bought what did you get off the sticker price? I found one XKR 175 demo the owner of the dealership put 1900 miles on the car. They tell me they will make a good deal on the unit? What would be a good deal? I think the sticker is 105k and change? I will go by later tonight and try to look at the sticker again. Also found another XKR non 175 with 3800 miles asking 80k..I think I want a 175 or a Black? Thanks.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Has anyone made any offers on these cars? What are you seeing being offered off of sticker? If you have bought what did you get off the sticker price? I found one XKR 175 demo the owner of the dealership put 1900 miles on the car. They tell me they will make a good deal on the unit? What would be a good deal? I think the sticker is 105k and change? I will go by later tonight and try to look at the sticker again. Also found another XKR non 175 with 3800 miles asking 80k..I think I want a 175 or a Black? Thanks.
I got one of the first XKR175s in the country (in August) and I paid sticker price but got accessories and a set of winter wheels/tires at a good discount. I imagine there are good deals to be had now. On cars.com, it is showing that there are still around 30 for sale. Six are in Florida, so you may be able to get a decent deal. I thought all 175 of them would have sold by now, but Jaguar hasn't done a very good job promoting it.

When I bought mine, I knew that I could have gotten a HUGE discount on a 2010 regular XKR because they wanted to clear them out before the '11s arrived. I imagine you could get a similarly large discount on a regular 2011 XKR (if not now, then in a few months).

I wouldn't want one that was a demo or any of the ones they use at the racing school (which do end up being sold to retail customers)...but maybe that's just because I wanted a virgin

Old 11-11-2011, 09:19 PM
BRETT0429 is on a distinguished road
I have panamera 4s for only 2300 miles on it and not loving it I'm thinking of getting a Xkr it also has 2000 miles. The 4s seems to heavy to drive and as fast as i thought, not comfy in seat or on my legs. Very hard seat I drove Xkr 175 and liked it but u never really know till it's yours any opinions on getting rid of this for that?
Thanks in advance

Old 11-17-2011, 02:17 PM
The seats in the XKR are excellent; better than my Cayenne GTS and waaaaay better than our 2 MBs. I have a long commute and the seats are perfect for me, especially thigh support. I have long legs and many cars have seat bottoms that are too short.

I've only spent a few minutes in a P4S, but I've now logged 25,000 miles in the XKR175. They are 2 totally different vehicles: icy perfectionism with the Porsche and rowdy eccentricity with the Jaguar.

The Porsche is probably easier to drive faster, but maybe not as fun. I initially felt the XKR was too big, but it seemed to "shrink" once I got used to driving it. One thing for sure, unless you're a super-skilled driver, you don't want to fully defeat the stability control. This cat will definitely bite you! Even in full-nanny mode (there is also an intermediate "track" setting), it will wag its tail upon launch.

As far as ownership is concerned, the XKR has been excellent. Still on the first pads/rotors at 25,000 miles and dealer says they're good for several thousand more. It burns almost no oil, fuel economy is still decent (right at EPA numbers 15/22), and reliability has been good (not perfect, but close).

Old 11-17-2011, 08:41 PM
BRETT0429 is on a distinguished road
How's the feel of steering wheel and the gas pedal heard it's a little weak also not to pry are u a big guy I'm 5'8" 200 a little worried about the bolster in the long run
Thanks
Brett

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.