Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How I ended up with a Panny Turbo (long post)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Richfield is on a distinguished road
How I ended up with a Panny Turbo (long post)

My wife and I have been long-time Audi enthusiasts. A few months ago we decided to it was time to move her from an A6 4.2 to to an S5. Off she goes to our local Audi/Porsche dealer to find an S5. She comes back and tells me I need to go down there - there's a car I've "got to see". I'm thinking she's talking about the Audi R8, which I've been lusting over for quite awhile.

A few days later we go down to check out the S5's. While we're there I'm drooling over an R8 they've got in the showroom. The Sales Manager walks over a with the keys to a Panamera 4S and asks me if I want to go for a ride with him. Off we go...

Now I didn't know squat about Panameras. We motor on up to this double "S" freeway on-ramp with no traffic in front of us. He engages "Sports Plus", grins, says "hold on!", then stomps on it. Holy smokes the car was like a rocket on rails. I completely forgot about the R8.

A week later I was giving up the keys to my RS4 for a fairly loaded Carbon Grey 4S. What an amazing car - I put about 2500 miles on it and then made the mistake of finding this forum and reading about the Turbo. Well you guessed it - now sitting in my garage is a Carbon Grey Panamera Turbo. Traded in the 4S for it.

I have to agree with everyone who says that photographs do not flatter the Panamera. But there has not been one person who has seen the vehicle in person who has not been "wowed" by it. The handling and performance is simply incredible - a friend of mine with a 2010 Corvette Grand Sport had some serious envy when I gave him a "Launch Control" demo.

Only three minor negatives to report so far: (1) the 4S was developing some door rattles/buzzes when I traded it in; (2) the inside seals on the side windows are so tight that aftermarket window tint develops fine vertical scratches; and (3) on the 4S the horizontal chrome strip on the tailgate started to lift off the body on both ends (this apparently was a problem on the Cayenne).

The 4S had air suspension but no PDCC. The Turbo has both and for me that was worth the $$$. The 4S had the 14-way seats and the Turbo has the Adaptive Sport Seats - in my opinion the 14-ways are good enough, so save yourself the $1505. I'll state the obvious here too: you gotta have the Sport Chrono Package with either car. The rear backup camera is high value in my book. Lastly, the Bose sounded very good in the 4S but if you've got the dough, the Burmester stereo is just incredible.

And yes, my wife got her S5. Can't say I've driven it much but it is a very fun car.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:20 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Congratulations! I have to say that the Panny turbo is calling me as well. Enjoy your new car and I am looking forward to hearing more about it! Of course, pics are a must!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Root is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of light
Welcome to Panaworld and enjoy!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 PM
TaylorMade411 will become famous soon enough
Been lurking reading the (very helpful) posts here for quite some time now but I had to register because you were pretty much in the identical situation I find myself in!

I'm currently in a 2003 A6 4.2 (solid DD but just not enough fun) and will be picking up an R8 or Panam Turbo next march. I'm very much torn between the 2 and name a new leader every week.

Please keep us posted on your purchase satisfaction.

* yes I know they are two very different cars and its strange for someone to have a final 2 of a Panam and R8

Old 05-10-2010, 05:04 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Well, the big decision for me is whether or not to give up my cab for the turbo. I love having a cab and I have had several, but here in SC, you don't get to use it as much as you think. I have my eyes set on one and I am sure it will be a nice Christmas present for me! I am just waiting for the 'right' time to make my move. The R8 is a great car, no question about that, but the turbo is something more special to me at least. Good luck with your decision! Just keep us posted!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:40 PM
R8 and Panamera

Even though I bought the Panamera, I still think the R8 is one of the sexiest cars I've ever seen. I think if I lived in Florida or California I probably would have gone with the Audi, but I'm in the Rockies and want to be able to drive my performance car any time of the year. It's probably irrational but the Panamera felt like a smarter choice for living here. The RS4 on snow tires + Quattro was very dependable, but the ground clearance on the R8 worried me.

JenK & TaylorMade411: how in the world will you each be able to wait so long to get your Panny's? I envy your self-discipline. ;-)

I'll get out this weekend and get some pictures of the Turbo to post here.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:34 AM
easy for me...I need at least 6 more months to get my car, which is an 09 C2S cab with PDK, in the ballpark for an even trade. I have the 'got to have it now no matter how upside down I am' disease!! So, I am trying exhibit self discipline, but it's hard!!!!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 AM
ttpower will become famous soon enough
Hey guys, what type of discounts are being offered on the panny turbo currently? I am thinking about getting one as well. Any dealers in the NY/NJ area that you guys would particularly recommend? Thanks.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 AM
falb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant future
Congratulations on the PTT. It is, without question, the best sedan out there.

The R8 is a cool car but it is a 2 door sports car and should be compared to a 997.2 Turbo, IMO. However the Panamera Turbo is as fast as the V10 R8, 11.7 @ 118 vs. 11.8 @ 118, respectively. The R8 V8 is just flat out slower than the PTT. They both have similar skidpad numbers.

The biggest differences are weight and function. The Pana is about 800lbs heavier than the R8 and will not be as nimble on a race track. Of course, I will tell you that I had a lot of fun on a track with my PTT and gave most of the GT-Rs and a GT3-RS a hard time. The 567ftlbs of the PTT makes a big difference and compares well to the R8 V10 at 391ft/lbs. The Pana carries 4 large adults comfortably and, with the rear seats down, has 45 cubic feet of cargo space, that is more that an S class or 7er.

If you want a 4 door sports car the Panamera is the ticket and I cant imagine you will be let down in the performance camp when comparing it to the R8.

Plus, the Panamera Turbo will be able to get huge power boosts as soon as the aftermarket has enough development time.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:19 PM
right on the money, falb! I am just waiting...of course, impatiently! BTW, I love your PTT!!!!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:52 AM
falb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by JenK
right on the money, falb! I am just waiting...of course, impatiently! BTW, I love your PTT!!!!
ehhh...patience is over-rated

Old 05-12-2010, 04:48 PM
I know, but it will be worth the wait. If I trade now, I have to get a 4S. In 6 months, I can get the turbo!!!!! I'll hang in there until then. Besides, I can not decide on an exterior color!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:04 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Awesome story !!! I've done similar instant trade in for the better car and it sounds like you are so glad you did it. I hear ya.

The Panamera is the best large sedan I have ever driven and I have yet to experience the Turbo. Congrats!!!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:26 PM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Don't wait too long. Porsche has shut down production to minimal numbers to protect buyers in this economy. Big dealers are only getting "so many" delivered. The market appears to be somewhat stabile. I have owned mine for 8 months now and could get back close to what I gave. The car is incredible. To this day I get camera video's taken and pictures taken at every gas station. I thought there were more of them out there.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:03 PM
The comment about "limited availability" was interesting. Today I was down talking to the Sales Manager where I bought mine and he told me Porsche would send him all the Panameras he cared to put into inventory.

He went on to say the Turbos go like hotcakes at a hungry convention. He didn't have hard numbers but he reckoned 70% of his Panny sales were 4S, 20% were Turbos and 10% were the base model. He said it would be interesting to see how well the V6 models moved.

JenK I would definitely hold out for the Turbo. Of the colors I've seen, I have to say Platinum Silver is the best looking to my eye, and if they'd had one on the lot with a black interior it would be in my garage right now instead of the Carbon Grey.

cc08gt2, I hear you about the camera phone videos & pictures - it happens *all* the time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How I ended up with a Panny Turbo (long post)