Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera Oil Change DIY

Old 12-05-2010, 06:07 PM
TheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura about
Panamera Oil Change DIY

Anyone have this or done this?

It looks like it might be fun to do a post-break in oil change.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:40 PM
E63911K12 has a spectacular aura aboutE63911K12 has a spectacular aura about
My turbo just turned 5k so I will have the first oil change done. This one doesn't seem to make it easy for the average DIY person. I've always done my oil changes but with no center lift points, I don't see a good way to get the car up on jack stands. Plus, the engine is covered with underbody panels, so I don't know if the oil will drain fully when the car in inclined on ramps.

So I will take it in to an independent next week for the first oil change and I'll see what it looks like under the car and let you know what I think.

Last edited by E63911K12; 12-09-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:11 AM
TheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by E63911K12
My turbo just turned 5k so I will have the first oil change done. This one doesn't seem to make it easy for the average DIY person. I've always done my oil changes but with no center lift points, I don't see a good way to get the car up on jack stands. Plus, the engine is covered with underbody panels, so I don't know if the oil will drain fully when the car in inclined on ramps.

So I will take it in to an independent next week for the first oil change and I'll see what it looks like under the car and let you know what I think.
Thanks

It would be rough if Porsche made this hard; I mean BMW's are really really easy to change...no car should be overly hard. Lets see what the indy says.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:23 AM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
I read a post on this already and the verdict is: it is not easy! For the simple reason that measuring the oil must be done after driving at least 7-8 miles!? Something like that or you must hook it up to a computer to measure the oil. So if you under or overfill the oil and then go drive it 10 miles, if you are way off, you could be causing damage. It was determined that you must at least measure every drop you take out and put the same in, that should get you close.

Certainly not as easy as my 06 C4S, that car was easy!

Old 12-19-2010, 03:31 PM
E63911K12 has a spectacular aura aboutE63911K12 has a spectacular aura about
I had my first oil change done at a local independent shop and watched the process. After taking off the under body panel, a metallic piece that obstructs access to the oil filter also required removal. The oil filter was readily accessible once the metal brace was removed.

Everything was routinely straight forward and can easily be done as a DIY. The biggest problem is access under the car since there are no center jack points, front or rear. The drain plug is towards the back of the pan, so I think that doing this on a ramp would work OK. I'm seriously considering a home car lift like this one: http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-produ...fts/maxjax.asp

I had the shop put in 9 quarts to ensure that it wasn't overfilled. The manual calls for 9 liters (9.5 quarts) so I planned to put a half quart in when I got home. I drove over 6 miles so that I could re-register the oil level gauge and saw that it was at the bottom of the gauge (all bars clear except for green at the pan). I put in the .5 quart at home and went for another drive. The half a quart brought the level up but was still a bar short of max, so I added a quarter of a quart to bring it to the max point. Went for a drive again to verify it (at this point, my wife is beginning to doubt my story).

So, the bottom line is that since Porsche doesn't provide for a simple dip stick, I had to drive about 30 miles to verify my oil levels (but I had fun checking) .

Old 12-19-2010, 04:23 PM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
I had my first oil change done at a local independent shop and watched the process. After taking off the under body panel, a metallic piece that obstructs access to the oil filter also required removal. The oil filter was readily accessible once the metal brace was removed.

Everything was routinely straight forward and can easily be done as a DIY. The biggest problem is access under the car since there are no center jack points, front or rear. The drain plug is towards the back of the pan, so I think that doing this on a ramp would work OK. I'm seriously considering a home car lift like this one: http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-produ...fts/maxjax.asp

I had the shop put in 9 quarts to ensure that it wasn't overfilled. The manual calls for 9 liters (9.5 quarts) so I planned to put a half quart in when I got home. I drove over 6 miles so that I could re-register the oil level gauge and saw that it was at the bottom of the gauge (all bars clear except for green at the pan). I put in the .5 quart at home and went for another drive. The half a quart brought the level up but was still a bar short of max, so I added a quarter of a quart to bring it to the max point. Went for a drive again to verify it (at this point, my wife is beginning to doubt my story).

So, the bottom line is that since Porsche doesn't provide for a simple dip stick, I had to drive about 30 miles to verify my oil levels (but I had fun checking) .
Thanks for the input. Sounds like a little work compared to my Ex-997, but worth it! I think I will use the good old Ramps that I have in the garage!

Old 12-19-2010, 05:21 PM

Hey Thanks for the update! I think we will attempt to do the Panamera ourselves!

I wonder how much it costs at the dealership?

Old 01-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Renitio is on a distinguished road
(at this point, my wife is beginning to doubt my story).

I think that's a Great excuse to take the car out for a spin. I have to try this on my wife too...lol

Old 02-13-2011, 12:01 AM
jjrho is on a distinguished road
good post...i wanted to do the oil change myself too... what oil r we supposed to use for the pan S ? i think i will put 9qts and then go from there too..... as long as you long over fill...if it's low, the car will tell u it's too low so....

jim R
2010 Pan S, 3000miles.....

Old 02-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Former Vendor
James@ACGAutomotive is on a distinguished road
We've used mobil 1 0w40 on the panamera's that we've serviced.

We also started with 9 qts, and ended up putting in 10 after everything was said and done.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:17 PM
pan S oil change/filter

ok..thanks for the info....
0-40 m1...probably walmart will have it...
btw,
is the filter easy to pull off? is is a filter element or a canister ?

james R
2010 pan S 3000miles....

Old 02-16-2011, 09:01 AM
pmichaelis is on a distinguished road
Oil changes

I've seen various comments on line that suggest using other than the recommended Mobil1 0W-40 oil because of availability, etc. I had my first oil change prior to Christmas and did a little research on the subject.
What I found was that Mobil1 0W-40 has a different additive package than other oils even by the same manufacturer. The zinc and phosphorous levels are higher in the 0W-40 than 5W-40 or other grades, the purpose is to combat the effects of sliding friction. The trick, however, is not to add too much because it shortens Cat converter life. Porsche certainly did it's homework in this area because of the laws applying to Cat lifetimes exceed the main 4 year warranty. Porsche allows the use of 5W-40 only as a substitute in the absence of the recommended grade, not because of climatic conditions.

The bottom line, regardless of what your mechanic or oil monkey tells you; other oils are not acceptable unless they match Mobil 1 0W-40 additives package.

For those who like to read the technical details:
http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html#Z3

Last edited by pmichaelis; 02-21-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: forgot additive, added reference
Old 02-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Former Vendor
James@ACGAutomotive is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jjrho
ok..thanks for the info....
0-40 m1...probably walmart will have it...
btw,
is the filter easy to pull off? is is a filter element or a canister ?

james R
2010 pan S 3000miles....
Soft filter element, and the filter is under the lower engine panel.

Not difficult to do.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Costs $300 at the dealer.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:02 AM
oil change and reminder reset

so, gonna do my first oil change.... under a lift...
i go 3000miles but the car is 13 months old... the reminder comes ON in the dash....
does the dummy light/msg RESET itself or is there a sequence of doing this? and if not, dealer cmputer to reset ?

pls advise,

james R
2010 Pan S
awe exhaust

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Panamera Oil Change DIY