Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basalt Black Metallic vs Black exterior paint color

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:50 AM
RobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of light
Question Basalt Black Metallic vs Black exterior paint color

I have not considered this color before (Basalt Black Metallic) . I was only thinking of black for the exterior color and only want black interior for the Panni.

I was offered a Basalt Black Metallic (in stock) vs Black. Any thoughts on the difference between the two ??? I went to another dealership last night but it was raining and could not tell the difference. The Basalt Black Metallic is a $790 cost vs the Black at $0.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:36 AM
JMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud of
Basalt black has shinny metalic flakes within the paint which makes it more durable and less easy to be chipped compared to jet black. Due to the nature of the metalic flakes it give the car more spectrum of color under different lightning conditions. Jet Black just look a bit more blah and boring compared to Basalt black. I was gonna get Basalt black until I saw the carbon grey and that sold me the car on the spot. Hope this help you.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:42 AM
cvprez will become famous soon enough
I have normal black, and wish I had basalt. The regular black shows every flaw and is such a pain to keep clean. With the metallic in the basalt it hides dust a little better and doesn't show swirls as bad.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:48 PM
stirthepot has a spectacular aura aboutstirthepot has a spectacular aura about
i prefer the basalt. i think its an awesome color

Old 06-25-2011, 09:59 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
I had a basalt Turbo for a few days and then got a black PTT next - (swap was for interior preference not exterior color) and I think I liked the basalt better - seemed to hide dust a bit better

Old 06-26-2011, 12:07 AM
PorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to behold
Basalt is the way to go and it definitely hides dust better than regular black.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:52 AM
iceman912 is on a distinguished road
Basalt black, no question. I had mine for 4 months and it still looks spotless...i took great care went washing the car thou, but its not as difficult to maintain compare to my black RX suv.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:07 PM
donfenn is on a distinguished road
IMO, Panameras look best in dark colors. Either one is a winner.

Basalt is easier to maintain, but it does have a bit of a brown/gray cast under lights, and it does not look quite as good as a clean black Panamera to me.

I agree that black interiors are the way to go.. I love the lighter colors when they are new, but they do show wear after a while.. My last tan interior aged quickly, and my blue jean dye seemed to always taint the tan leather after a few months.

Last edited by donfenn; 06-26-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:28 AM
the993 is on a distinguished road
Very late in sharing a view on these 2 colors, or std vs metallic paint in general!

Think that sports cars in general, and race ones in particular, are much better produced and displayed in non-metallic colors, i.e. the 4 standard colors of plain black, yellow, white, and red.

Any other metallic color application to such cars, just distracts from their authentic sporty looks.

Once I had opportunity to meet one automaker designer, and he was of the same view. In fact he told me that he never could think of Porsche, Ferrari, etc...in metallic paint. But if it's a client choice then be it. Just that metallic look is more of a luxury (fancy!!) automobile! appearance, than true sports machines!

Not to mention: std colors do not cost as metallics when in a paint shop

Old 03-21-2012, 09:27 AM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
I was just at the dealer and saw a Basalt Black next to a Black and the difference was pretty striking. The Basalt Black looked 'not quite black' compared to the Black. If you saw the two cars next to each other, and each one was perfectly clean, there's no question you'd pick the Black.

However, I've had two black cars, and will never get another one. Absolutely the best looking color when clean, and if you can somehow avoid getting any swirl marks on it. But once it gets dirty, or gets any swirl marks, it will drive you frigging crazy. I agree with the Basalt Black recommendation. Much better looking color 98% of the time.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:14 PM
aka_tl is on a distinguished road
I chose black over Basalt for my '12 PTT. Very difficult to maintain but love it when it's clean. I agree that basalt doesn't look as "black" which is why I went with the non-metallic black.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:19 PM
hummerchine is on a distinguished road
Obviously personal preference...my vote goes to Basalt Black for sure! It just looks amazing in sunlight, and like others have said still looks pretty good when dirty.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 PM
slick911 has a spectacular aura aboutslick911 has a spectacular aura about
Basalt black all the way but I am bias.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:00 AM
Root is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of light
I had a 2010 black PanaS and now have a 2012 basalt PanaTT.
When clean the black paint looks like it is 6" thick. The basalt with all the metallic chips reflects the light and does hide dust etc. They are both great colors for our cars.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:08 PM
crimatt is on a distinguished road
Second that!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Basalt Black Metallic vs Black exterior paint color