Sponsored by:

Beware: Certain Options Effect Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:43 PM
JAX GT3 is on a distinguished road
Beware: Certain Options Effect Radar Detectors

The following options make radar detector use difficult or at greated cost:

1. Adaptive Cruise Control: You will be unable to install a stealth radar detector system in the front / rear bumpers due to frequency conflict between the vehicle detection radar and the police radar. I have had no problems using a Passport or Valentine 1 in the windshield.

2. Noise and Insulated Glass Option: Windshield mounted radar detectors will not fit in the small metallic film cutout areas.

If your vehicle has both options, radar detector use is not possible.

FYI, JohnnyB

Old 07-01-2011, 05:51 PM
TexasPorsche is on a distinguished road
Whats the small metallic film cutout areas?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Response

If the vehicle has the Noise and Insulated glass windshield, metallic film is laminated between 2 sheets of glass. The metallic film blocks RF signals from radar detectors, transponders, and toll tags. There are small cutout areas 75mm X 300MM on the left and right sides of the rear view mirrors which will allow RF signals to pass through. Unfortunately, the cutout areas are too small to allow a radar detector to fit properly.

Cheers, JohnnyB

Old 07-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Former Vendor
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com is on a distinguished road
I've heard a few reports as well with adaptive cruise systems or lane departure warning systems creating issues with radar detectors. I haven't studied this in great detail but Beltronics has a new system available which is basically a 9500ci with two differences, the leds on the display and controls are red and it has programmable radar bands which allow you to select the specific frequencies that you want alerts for. If the specific radar band frequecy used by the police differs from the system on the car this could be a possible fix.

Operating Bands
X-band: 10.525 GHz ± 25 MHz
K-band: 24.150 GHz ± 100 MHz
Ka SW (Super Wide): 34.700 GHz ± 1300 MHz
Laser: 904nm, 33MHz bandwidth
When Ka SW is off, each
Ka segment can be turned on or off
Ka1 (33.392 - 33.704) ON or OFF
Ka2 (33.704 - 33.896) ON or OFF
Ka3 (33.886 - 34.198) ON or OFF
Ka4 (34.184 - 34.592) ON or OFF
Ka5 (34.592 - 34.808) ON or OFF
Ka6 (34.806 - 35.166) ON or OFF
Ka7 (34.143 - 35.383) ON or OFF
Ka8 (35.378 - 35.618) ON or OFF
Ka9 (35.595 - 35.835) ON or OFF
Ka10 (35.830 - 35.998) ON or OFF

Old 07-07-2011, 04:41 AM
borderless is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JAX GT3
The following options make radar detector use difficult or at greated cost:

1. Adaptive Cruise Control: You will be unable to install a stealth radar detector system in the front / rear bumpers due to frequency conflict between the vehicle detection radar and the police radar. I have had no problems using a Passport or Valentine 1 in the windshield.

If your vehicle has both options, radar detector use is not possible.

FYI, JohnnyB
I have K40 RL360 installed on my Turbo with Adaptive Cruise Control and it's worked fine for 6 months. Granted, I never turn on the Adaptive Cruise Control so maybe that's why? Are you assuming people actually use the ACC or are you saying regardless of whether it's in use or not, radar won't work?

Old 07-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Great Question

Your thoughts are terrific. I can not get an answer from my dealer or PCNA. My dealer states that concealed radar detectors in the front bumper will not work "correctly" due to the radar frequency used by the ACC.

I only use a V1 in the windshield, which is some distance from the ACC Radar Transmitter. I have encountered no false alerts while my V1 is ON and using the ACC.

I may do some testing in the future.

Cheers, JohnnyB

Old 07-10-2011, 02:11 PM
kos
kos is on a distinguished road
Granted, I never turn on the Adaptive Cruise Control so maybe that's why?

exactly why i don't plan on getting this option, especially at $2600

Old 07-10-2011, 03:20 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
My old S63 had ACC and after I used it for a bit I really liked it in rush hour traffic - you could easily text, drink coffee and not really pay much attention to those in front of you.

Truly though I liked it very much after I started using it in situations where I normally wouldn't use cruise control.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:02 PM
kos
kos is on a distinguished road
in my Rover i would be 3 cars back if i used it in that situation and that is frowned upon in rush hour traffic. i hated it, it braked too fast speed up too fast ... i'd rather get that ceramic brake option!!!

Old 07-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Banned
Catchacab will become famous soon enough
ACC although not on, is always emitting radar when the car is on. Porsche uses K band which is still a popular band. Turning off K band can leave you quite vulnerable. If Porsche used a Ka segment that isn't used here, the STiR would be perfect.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:04 PM
MIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enoughMIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enough
Your thoughts are terrific. I can not get an answer from my dealer or PCNA. My dealer states that concealed radar detectors in the front bumper will not work "correctly" due to the radar frequency used by the ACC.

I only use a V1 in the windshield, which is some distance from the ACC Radar Transmitter. I have encountered no false alerts while my V1 is ON and using the ACC.

I may do some testing in the future.

Cheers, JohnnyB
Jax, are you sure that your radar works as good as in other vehicles? Where did you mount it? Left or right? Could you take a picture of it?

I bring this up because I just installed mine as high as I could and to the right of the mirror and while cruising around spots that made my radar go off previously in other cars, on this car do not go off, and I mean more than one spot.

It will go off on some other spots but after the fact. For example before I used to get a school radar 2 blocks away from where it is, now in this car I get it like 100 feet away only and the side arrows go off after I pass the signal.

Crazy...

Old 07-30-2011, 02:10 PM
JAX Reply

1. My V1 is mounter on the right side of the rear view mirror, about 6 inches below the roof pillar. This places the V1 rear antenna near the center of the car and also allows clear vision forward.

2. My Panamera gives me the same alerts as my Ford F150.

3. Both my radar detectors are V1's with the same SW load.

Cheers, JohnnyB

Old 07-30-2011, 04:13 PM
MIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enoughMIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enough
1. My V1 is mounter on the right side of the rear view mirror, about 6 inches below the roof pillar. This places the V1 rear antenna near the center of the car and also allows clear vision forward.

2. My Panamera gives me the same alerts as my Ford F150.

3. Both my radar detectors are V1's with the same SW load.

Cheers, JohnnyB
Weird... Do you have the insulated glass as an option. If you do I will try lowering it 6 inches then.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Response

My Panamera Turbo has both the Noise & Insulated Glass and ACC options.

I had the dealer remove the windshield and install the regular normal windshield because I was not getting any radar signal through the windshield cutouts (too small to fit a radar detector.

Cheers, JohnnyB

Old 07-31-2011, 12:21 AM
That's what it is... Do you mind sharing the cost to replace? Have you had any problems... Noise, leaks, heat?

If you want you could pm'me.

Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Beware: Certain Options Effect Radar Detectors