Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory sports exhaust working?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Kingfrog3 is on a distinguished road
Factory sports exhaust working?

Can anyone with the factory sports exhaust tell the difference when it is on versus when it's off? Is so faint on my Turbo. Where in my 911 you can really hear it. I took it into service and they said that on the Panamera's they have a completely different system and that it is working fine.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 PM
wem
wem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the rough
I wanted some sound on my PTT, so I had the dealer install the Sport Exhaust 2 weeks ago. I was expecting a big difference. Similar to your experience, the difference was underwhelming. There is a deeper note when the car is idling. When in motion I can hear the difference until about 2k rpm. Above that, I don't hear much difference. Maybe the cars behind me hear something? I was also wondering if the Sport Exhaust was working. I spent several trips pressing the button and kneeling behind the tailpipes to see if anything was happening. With the flashlight, I saw the flaps open and close when I pressed the button. I'm not sure it was worth the $5k that I spent. It seems like a lot of money for another button on the console. My stock Cayenne S exhaust is louder than the PTT Sport Exhaust.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Former Vendor
CampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the rough
Since the Panamera Turbo is turbocharged, the exhaust is very subdued even with the PSE.

There are aftermarket propositions that are similarly priced or slightly less than the PSE that really change the exhaust tone. These exhausts also retain a valved system for required civility on a luxury sport saloon like the Panamera.

We have many offerings for the Panamera Turbo that suits the above requirements from REMUS, Capristo, IPE Innotech and Akrapovic. You can either view our website or send us a PM to discuss the various options for the Panamera Turbo (S and V6 as well).

Originally Posted by wem
I wanted some sound on my PTT, so I had the dealer install the Sport Exhaust 2 weeks ago. I was expecting a big difference. Similar to your experience, the difference was underwhelming. There is a deeper note when the car is idling. When in motion I can hear the difference until about 2k rpm. Above that, I don't hear much difference. Maybe the cars behind me hear something? I was also wondering if the Sport Exhaust was working. I spent several trips pressing the button and kneeling behind the tailpipes to see if anything was happening. With the flashlight, I saw the flaps open and close when I pressed the button. I'm not sure it was worth the $5k that I spent. It seems like a lot of money for another button on the console. My stock Cayenne S exhaust is louder than the PTT Sport Exhaust.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:37 PM
hummerchine is on a distinguished road
I can definitely hear the difference with the sport exhaust on my 4s, but I would not call it huge. Still wish I could hear more; sounds like they addressed that on the GTS. I LOVE my car, but if I was buying one today I'd get the GTS.

Seriously though, I have no complaints. I got a great deal, have the options I wanted, and my car RULES!!!

Old 02-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Kingfrog3 is on a distinguished road
Tubi

The tubi in this video sounds very good. but can it be shut off?

Old 02-11-2012, 08:44 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Kingfrog3
Can anyone with the factory sports exhaust tell the difference when it is on versus when it's off? Is so faint on my Turbo. Where in my 911 you can really hear it. I took it into service and they said that on the Panamera's they have a completely different system and that it is working fine.
Inside it sounds the same, outside there is a BIG difference!

Old 02-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Root is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of light
Disconnect the vacuum hoses at the exhaust tubes and you will be more pleased. The sport exhaust really growls from 1500 to 6000 rpm's.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:15 PM
j080808 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Root
Disconnect the vacuum hoses at the exhaust tubes and you will be more pleased. The sport exhaust really growls from 1500 to 6000 rpm's.
Vacuum applied closes the flaps, this would be the "off" setting. Disconnecting the vacuum lines will leave the flap open at all times, at least this is how it worked on my Cayenne.

Unless the flaps open/closed with throttle input, disconnecting wont yield different results.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:23 PM
JAX GT3 is on a distinguished road
Research Required

Be cautious at simple solutions. The stock Turbo exhaust uses flappers to provide appropriate back pressure at low RPM and at higher RPM. The V6 and non-turbo V8 do not use flappers.

You will likely loss low end torque by leaving the flappers open permanently. I have no idea the impact on the turbocharging aspect. But then again, if it sounds better, you have a lot of extra power available!!

Cheers, JohnnyB

Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 PM
cobbcounty is a jewel in the roughcobbcounty is a jewel in the roughcobbcounty is a jewel in the rough
exhaust on PTT

Installed Fabspeed on my turbo about 6 months ago. It had horrible drone and immediately took it off and went back to stock. However recently AWE just came out with one and I installed it. I took it by my local Porsche dealer in Atlanta and they agreed it is the best aftermarket exhaust they had heard. No drone and absolutely wonderful deep tone. The true test was driving my wife to dinner and her not really noticing. Performance has also improved. During hard acceleration a very distinct turbo noise that translates into a noticeable more aggressive acceleration.
Very pleased and cost is also very reasonably priced. Great quality product.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:51 PM
jdco is a jewel in the roughjdco is a jewel in the roughjdco is a jewel in the rough
I just installed the Remus Sport SS Exhaust on my Panamera Turbo and love the sound. I don't really notice a difference when hitting the Sport/Sport Plus button either.. After reading this thread i'm assuming that's normal?

I appreciate any feedback given in regards to this.

Thank you

Last edited by jdco; 07-12-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:07 PM
cvprez will become famous soon enough
cobbcounty - which awe system did you go with (touring or track) also did you replace the downpipes or keep the stock ones???

Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 AM
jdco is a jewel in the roughjdco is a jewel in the roughjdco is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by CampioniShop1
Make sure the vacuum line is connected, otherwise the valves won't open and/or close.
They are connected and the valves are open when the car is off and closed once I turn it on. That doesn't change when I press the sport mode. I have not been able to see what happens while driving but from inside the cabin I don't notice a difference.

It does sound like the valve may be opening while shifting as the growl gets much louder during that time.. does that sound right?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:03 AM
anyone?

Thanks

Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 AM
I have not. I've had people following me tell me they don't notice a difference either.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Factory sports exhaust working?